Not let in because of shaved head

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 7:41 pm

No hate. Just a correction. A teaching moment, if you will.

We can't assume that everyone with a shaved head is healthy or "normal" (whatever that is.)

I am very protective of my clients, who are all disabled and have reasons for shaving. I know you don't like bullies and if you had said that around some of "my" people, they would have been hurt. It would have been bullying. These are people who don't have the intellectual capacity to understand your reasoning, but they sure know the pain of being mocked.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 8:06 pm

Just going by the company Jamesey keeps in bars I'd say the probability he had Apolecia is very remote.

A lot of men who have male pattern baldness do shave their heads but again that in itself is hardly a reason to be turfed out of a bar/club by a bouncer.

Probably the combination of a shaved head + tattoos + menacing steel capped boots + attitude might sway a bouncer to consider the gentleman may cause a ruckus if he's had too much tipple.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 12:28 am

blazingstar wrote:
No hate. Just a correction. A teaching moment, if you will.

We can't assume that everyone with a shaved head is healthy or "normal" (whatever that is.)

I am very protective of my clients, who are all disabled and have reasons for shaving. I know you don't like bullies and if you had said that around some of "my" people, they would have been hurt. It would have been bullying. These are people who don't have the intellectual capacity to understand your reasoning, but they sure know the pain of being mocked.

I really don't need to be taught by you. ;)

I didn't assume "everyone with a shaved head is healthy or "normal"".
I limited my context to consider why someone might shave their head if they didn't have a health issue.
My comment wasn't meant to be profoundly serious, btw.

And I do know about health issues that cause hair loss.
Who doesn't? :scratch:

Perhaps this is a learning lesson for you? :wink:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 3:30 am

Maybe it's a lesson to learn when it's appropriate to joke in people's threads.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:20 am

Joe90 wrote:

Don't you think Jamesy should be the judge of that?
If he says he has a problem, I will respect his wishes. 8)

And when you said you didn't want people, in your thread, to make sex jokes about people keeping you up at night, did I not respect *your* wishes? :scratch:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:33 am

Pepe wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

And when you said you didn't want people, in your thread, to make sex jokes about people keeping you up at night, did I not respect *your* wishes? :scratch:

Yes but I had to warn you otherwise you probably would have done.
Also I was just backing Blazingstar up.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:46 am

Joe90 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes but I had to warn you otherwise you probably would have done.
Also I was just backing Blazingstar up.

Firstly, making a sex joke about you being kept up at night, in your thread, would have been very "pedestrian", and I wouldn't have done this unless I was being extremely ironic/satirical. I had no urge to make such an obvious joke, at the time. I would have left that for others.

Secondly, backing up Blazingstar would have been appropriate had she made a valid point, which she did not, imo.
Obviously, we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

And finally, you do realise you are adding to the derailment of the thread, right? ;)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Apr 2022, 4:50 am

Misslizard wrote:
One of my friends shaves his head and was once accused of being a skin head.He isn’t, shaves it because it’s easy to take care off.
I'd suspect that other things were factored into that judgement like the cloths & accessories he was wearing & his mannerisms like the way he was acting & his facial expressions & body language. Perhaps his age was a factor as well. Someone in their early 20s is more likely to be assumed bald because they are trying to make a statement & fit in with a certain cultural group than someone in their 40s. However me & someone I knew from work both started losing our hair cuz of male-pattern baldness when we turned 25. He started shaving his head but I started doing various things to try & stop it but I'm still losing some. I don't want to shave because my head itches alot where I've lost some but it does not itch anywhere else. I'm concerned that shaving my head would make my whole head constantly itch. I've discussed it with my docs before & it's not dandruff or anything like that. I wear a hat whenever I go out because I don't want to risk getting sunburnt & I also need a winter hat to keep warm cuz winters are very cold.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 5:05 am

nick007 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
One of my friends shaves his head and was once accused of being a skin head.He isn’t, shaves it because it’s easy to take care off.
I'd suspect that other things were factored into that judgement like the cloths & accessories he was wearing & his mannerisms like the way he was acting & his facial expressions & body language. Perhaps his age was a factor as well. Someone in their early 20s is more likely to be assumed bald because they are trying to make a statement & fit in with a certain cultural group than someone in their 40s. However me & someone I knew from work both started losing our hair cuz of male-pattern baldness when we turned 25. He started shaving his head but I started doing various things to try & stop it but I'm still losing some. I don't want to shave because my head itches alot where I've lost some but it does not itch anywhere else. I'm concerned that shaving my head would make my whole head constantly itch. I've discussed it with my docs before & it's not dandruff or anything like that. I wear a hat whenever I go out because I don't want to risk getting sunburnt & I also need a winter hat to keep warm cuz winters are very cold.

He could have also been inebriated and smelled of alcohol.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 6:48 am

I learnt that if I smiled when I entered a club I was never turned away. If I got nervous and didnt concentrate on smiling I was turned away half the time. Admittedly thats because I was underage, but it might help.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 11:13 am

Quote:
Firstly, making a sex joke about you being kept up at night, in your thread, would have been very "pedestrian", and I wouldn't have done this unless I was being extremely ironic/satirical. I had no urge to make such an obvious joke, at the time. I would have left that for others.

Secondly, backing up Blazingstar would have been appropriate had she made a valid point, which she did not, imo.
Obviously, we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

And finally, you do realise you are adding to the derailment of the thread, right? ;)

Well I wouldn't say your joke was insensitive as such but some people here might take some of your jokes the wrong way or not be in the mood for jokes.

And yes I have added to the derailment of the thread, which is really annoying for OPs. Let's drop it right now before the thread derails any further.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 7:20 pm

klanka wrote:
I learnt that if I smiled when I entered a club I was never turned away. If I got nervous and didnt concentrate on smiling I was turned away half the time. Admittedly thats because I was underage, but it might help.

I've definitely been thrown out or not allowed into bars in my 20s when I was inebriated and showing signs of being aggressive. I did go through a phase where I shaved my head, wore Doc Martins, skinny jeans and black t-shits just because I looked intimidating (I was also pretty dumb because girls hated the look). Bouncers are experienced and can pick the signs.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 8:20 pm

The people that are the biggest threat are those that look quite flash, look like anyone else or are wearing an appropriate costume for the current social climate. The people that dose drinks, rapists, premeditated murderers and so on, blend in by design. The rough looking types might get into fights with other men, but as long as weapons are kept out and security is inside it won't be too much of a bother.

That'll be an old man Dill tip (40 is old, leave me alone): always pay more attention to the socially appropriate looking and sounding people than the rough ones.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 8:59 pm

Dillogic wrote:
The people that are the biggest threat are those that look quite flash, look like anyone else or are wearing an appropriate costume for the current social climate.

But how do bouncers know not to let these ones in?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 9:48 pm

cyberdad,

They mostly can't, so education for the rest of us is the important thing. It makes distinguishing between a random individual and say a rough looking "skinhead" or whatever superfluous though. The latter isn't actually more dangerous than the former at face value, and the former may just be far more dangerous. Most people are "good" though, so I guess that's a good thing. A book by its cover.

One reason I dress in a very mundane way is so I don't stand out and draw attention, but I also wear tones that blend into most environments, because I too understand how it all works, even if my intentions are the complete opposite and are there to ward off the bad guys. I'm pretty sure I'd be turned away from nightclubs with my attire for looking too poor (I am, but that's beside the point here). I'd be the least threat to any patron, but never take my word for that. :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'd be turned away from nightclubs with my attire for looking too poor (I am, but that's beside the point here). I'd be the least threat to any patron, but never take my word for that. :P

Fair point. Many of these establishments have dress codes and want to maintain a standard. I don't go to establishments with bouncers these days but have taken my family to pub meals in hotels where there are bouncers and they don't seem to mind my dress style based on mix and match of Target, Kmart and the Reject Shop.