Get a job coding without a degree

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:13 am

If you have any interest in coding ie making websites or apps, then it is possible to get a job by your own efforts.

All you have to do is teach yourself (the hard part) then go on fiverr or freelancer.com and get work.
You'll be working for ridiculously low wages on fiverr and freelancer but its just for experience.
You put your freelancer work on your CV.

Then you can apply for a real I.T. job and get paid properly.

Overall it will take about 2-3 years, possibly less.

It's free though.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2022, 10:10 am

You are probably right but at the same time that's not a safe path. I've been to college and I failed miserably. To be fair I had no chances from the beginning, I had detailed that on a topic I made some time ago (viewtopic.php?t=403177). Anyway, ever since I have a small ISP company with a friend (who is much much older) but it doesn't do it for me. Economically I'm at the verge of bankruptcy and all the Mikrotik stuff is fine but the rest is nowhere near challenging enough, all day installing Windows and whatnot... I feel like a failure, have no degree, and I'm lost.
I'd like to get into car racing as an engineer but I've only submitted 1 cv year and a half ago and that is all I've done (and I hate myself for that). Often I think about starting a webpage, a blog or something, put some of the projects I do there, then 3D print a racing wheel, stick a raspberry pi in the middle with the web on it and send that as my cv. That might work. But thinking about it makes me nervous so I delay, delay and delay the project. I've looked up on infojobs, a Spanish website to find workplaces, and there are many places I could potentially fit, even if temporally to earn a bit of money, gain experience and stop feeling like total crap (also would give me a much much needed independence from my parents), but then I don't know how to sell myself. I've been going to therapy but progress is slow. I've been much more productive since I adopted the strategy of only doing 1 thing at the time (if not my executive function breaks) but there are so many things I want to do. Anyways, I don't have 2 years at this point and I 100% DON'T want to deal with customers, already did that for years and it takes all my energy away, not going that path again.
Good thing is I signed up for a MTCNA course that starts in a month and a half so at least I'd have that. Maybe I should stop lamenting and make a profile at infojobs, get something and build from that, I can always change my position later on, but... who will ever want someone like me?

I admire what you did, good job,honestly, your succeed is an incentive to make me start trying.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2022, 12:13 am

I can't say how coding jobs operate in every place around the world, but most places I've worked have hired programmers without them needing tertiary degrees of any kind.

If you can show some programming knowledge and/or experience with the relevant languages in a job interview, that's usually enough. A CS degree isn't strictly necessary.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 4:39 am

SpaceMartian wrote:
You are probably right but at the same time that's not a safe path. I've been to college and I failed miserably. To be fair I had no chances from the beginning, I had detailed that on a topic I made some time ago (viewtopic.php?t=403177). Anyway, ever since I have a small ISP company with a friend (who is much much older) but it doesn't do it for me. Economically I'm at the verge of bankruptcy and all the Mikrotik stuff is fine but the rest is nowhere near challenging enough, all day installing Windows and whatnot... I feel like a failure, have no degree, and I'm lost.
I'd like to get into car racing as an engineer but I've only submitted 1 cv year and a half ago and that is all I've done (and I hate myself for that). Often I think about starting a webpage, a blog or something, put some of the projects I do there, then 3D print a racing wheel, stick a raspberry pi in the middle with the web on it and send that as my cv. That might work. But thinking about it makes me nervous so I delay, delay and delay the project. I've looked up on infojobs, a Spanish website to find workplaces, and there are many places I could potentially fit, even if temporally to earn a bit of money, gain experience and stop feeling like total crap (also would give me a much much needed independence from my parents), but then I don't know how to sell myself. I've been going to therapy but progress is slow. I've been much more productive since I adopted the strategy of only doing 1 thing at the time (if not my executive function breaks) but there are so many things I want to do. Anyways, I don't have 2 years at this point and I 100% DON'T want to deal with customers, already did that for years and it takes all my energy away, not going that path again.
Good thing is I signed up for a MTCNA course that starts in a month and a half so at least I'd have that. Maybe I should stop lamenting and make a profile at infojobs, get something and build from that, I can always change my position later on, but... who will ever want someone like me?

I admire what you did, good job,honestly, your succeed is an incentive to make me start trying.

You've done loads for a 24 year old. They are quite forgiving in coding job interviews these days as they seem desperate for staff.
I dunno about the racing wheel project but some type of project might be good on a CV, but usually they are obsessed with commercial experience...which equals freelancing on the web.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2022, 8:29 am

klanka wrote:
SpaceMartian wrote:

You've done loads for a 24 year old. They are quite forgiving in coding job interviews these days as they seem desperate for staff.
I dunno about the racing wheel project but some type of project might be good on a CV, but usually they are obsessed with commercial experience...which equals freelancing on the web.

Feels like I could (actually, should) have done loads more. In any case, I do have some commercial experience dealing with customers in real life (none online) and I hate it. I won't work for clients any more. Not ever. Not freelancing, no replacing a damn hard drive of a laptop that's not mine. Got enough of that. Working for a company dealing with other tech staff may be fine. Working for clients, normal people, freelancing and all of that is a no go.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 9:09 am

In my experience freelancing was alright. The clients were kinda technical people and because they were paying VERY low wages they were hands-off and appreciative when I delivered what they wanted.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2022, 5:48 pm

klanka wrote:
In my experience freelancing was alright. The clients were kinda technical people and because they were paying VERY low wages they were hands-off and appreciative when I delivered what they wanted.

Still won't try unless I absolutely have to.