Lynching is Now a Federal Hate Crime

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 5:43 pm

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/29/1086720579/lynching-is-now-a-federal-hate-crime-after-a-century-of-blocked-efforts

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm

But...what if the person you're lynching is of the same race, religion, nationality, and sexual orientation as you?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 8:19 pm

bad news for these republicans who were trying be weasels and block passage of this type of legislation

https://www.businessinsider.in/politics ... 931620.cms

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 9:14 pm

When teenage girls think lynching is funny, then we have a problem

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:19 pm

I wonder how lynching was still done today. I thought it was in the past and racism has evolved.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:25 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder how lynching was still done today. I thought it was in the past and racism has evolved.

It's a relic law from pre-civil rights that has been blocked from being passed for 60-70 years. In the good o'l days the local judges and police would hand over black men to mobs.

Another law that still hasn't been removed (amazingly) is this one
https://www.npr.org/2021/11/17/10490525 ... rimination

Would seem law makers in the US aren't in that much of a hurry :roll:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 2:53 pm

About damn time something like this happened!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

It's a relic law from pre-civil rights that has been blocked from being passed for 60-70 years. In the good o'l days the local judges and police would hand over black men to mobs.

Another law that still hasn't been removed (amazingly) is this one
https://www.npr.org/2021/11/17/10490525 ... rimination

Would seem law makers in the US aren't in that much of a hurry :roll:

We also had a practice called redlining. It referred to city planners using a red marker to outline where blacks could or could not live. It was outlawed in the 1970s, but the homeowner's associations of today could be partly seen as a continuation of it.

HOAs regulate how homes can be designed, what color paint can be used, how one can decorate and care for their lawns, in order to keep home values high, so only affluent people (mostly white) can live there.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 7:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

We also had a practice called redlining. It referred to city planners using a red marker to outline where blacks could or could not live. It was outlawed in the 1970s, but the homeowner's associations of today could be partly seen as a continuation of it.

HOAs regulate how homes can be designed, what color paint can be used, how one can decorate and care for their lawns, in order to keep home values high, so only affluent people (mostly white) can live there.

Yes there's lots of dirty tricks used by neighborhoods in various US towns outside major cities to dissuade black folk from moving in. It varies from Karens harassing blacks in predominantly white neighborhoods (like the old days when any white US citizen could demand freedom papers from a random black person walking in public) to getting stopped by the police or profiled or having various tenancy acts/being blocked from renting by landlords or home owner/neighbourhood associations.

This stuff happens every day and its happening right now. Just a fact of life I guess.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm

Voting against making lynching a federal hate crime because it's "woke" really takes the cake.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 1:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Voting against making lynching a federal hate crime because it's "woke" really takes the cake.

The three republicans who stood against the bill were pretending it was about state rights

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 1:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The three republicans who stood against the bill were pretending it was about state rights

States rights has long been code for racism, here in America.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 2:13 am

League_Girl wrote:

The main era of lynching was 1865 to 1951. Dozens happened each year peaking in the early 20th century. Nineteen fifty two was the first year with no recorded lynchings. Stats online show the occasional year with one or two after that like in the Sixties. But essentially the era lynching ended in 1952, just as the Black Civil Rights Movement was emerging. But some say lynchings are still common, but are disguised as "suicides". But if so they are not the public mob events that they used to be.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 3:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But some say lynchings are still common, but are disguised as "suicides". But if so they are not the public mob events that they used to be.

A lot of missing persons cases are likely lynchings. I was watching a crime documentary about a young black guy who joined his white friends at a party in one of the southern states. His friends were leaving when the young guy made the fatal mistake of staying behind to talk to a white girl.

Later in the evening his friends couldn't didn't hear back they tried calling but he wasn't answering his phone, The next day he was missing and the friends and boys family went back to the house. The people there claim they don't remember what happened.

The black guys shoes and clothes were later found dumped near the river. The local police called it an unsolved crtime, The boy's uncle said it was almost definitely a lynching and everyone at the party knew what happened including the girl but nobody would disclose what they knew and everyone kept a code of silence (exactly like the Emmit Till case).