Polcie called on Two students for being late to class

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 8:40 pm

In what must be the worst case of police abuse of power in the history of the world.

A Black college professor called the police on two Black students for arriving to class late at Perimeter College at Georgia State University, prompting outrage from the students' peers on TikTok.

TikTok creator and college student Bria Blake posted about the incident on Wednesday evening. In the video, which has over 116,000 likes, she says two of her classmates, known as Taylor and Kamryn, were two minutes late to an English class.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/vir ... -rcna22487

The professor, whom Blake names as Carissa Gray, asked them to leave because they were late. Gray did not immediately respond to NBC News' request for comment. Taylor and Kamryn were not immediately available for comment. Blake also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Georgia State University said it is "looking into the situation."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 9:21 pm

perhaps professor should have closed and locked the doors to the lecture hall with a note on it saying "any stragglers will be marked down/absent for today." calling the cops was definitely evil and uncalled for, though.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2022, 9:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
In what must be the worst case of police abuse of power in the history of the world.

A Black college professor called the police on two Black students for arriving to class late at Perimeter College at Georgia State University, prompting outrage from the students' peers on TikTok.

Just for being 2 minutes late???

Quote:

TikTok creator and college student Bria Blake posted about the incident on Wednesday evening. In the video, which has over 116,000 likes, she says two of her classmates, known as Taylor and Kamryn, were two minutes late to an English class.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/vir ... -rcna22487

The professor, whom Blake names as Carissa Gray, asked them to leave because they were late. Gray did not immediately respond to NBC News' request for comment. Taylor and Kamryn were not immediately available for comment. Blake also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Georgia State University said it is "looking into the situation."

I thought I was a hardass for being 2 seconds late for a class, especially in grad school, where I worked the lunch rush for Domino’s Pizza, then drove 2 hours to Shippensburg University of PA in order to do research and attention class that evening.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 9:38 pm

Hmm, interesting, from The Black Wall Street Times, https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2022/04 ... ing-tardy/

"All skinfolk ain’t kinfolk

“Stuff like this cannot keep happening to Black youth in America,” Blake said. “Stop weaponizing the police against Black people.”

When a Black Professor calls the police on Black students over tardiness, much like the Titanic’s iceberg, there is much more beneath the surface. Whether she’s in a sunken place or deathly serious about being on time, Professor Gray saw these two Black students as out-of-line, disrespectful, or combative and knew that bringing officers to the scene would immediately exacerbate the confrontation further.

While Georgia State University’s student code of conduct does have policies against classroom “disruptive behavior,” the school policy also states that an instructor may summon campus police to remove a student whose behavior “poses an immediate threat to the safety” of themself, the instructor, or other students. Arriving to class two minutes late doesn’t constitute such a threat.

Who knew Karens came in Black?

A Georgia State University representative said that policy refers to extreme behavior that may endanger others in the classroom. Calling the campus police over tardiness or other disrespectful behavior, the representative said, is not typical of university faculty."

The 3 comments on article at present are interesting,
"
Layla April 1, 2022 - 3:21 pm
What irresponsible reporting. You only know half the story and are making a lot assumptions. Obviously there is a backstory and context around disruptive behavior here. Also, GSU campus security are already in the building; that’s literally who faculty are directed to go to if a student is disruptive…it’s not like the professor actually called off-campus police as you are implying.

Tom Nidol April 1, 2022 - 6:08 pm
I’m confused. Why does any student of any color/ race feel that they have the right to challenge a professor in that professor’s classroom? THAT is the issue. THAT has been the issue for quite a while. No respect for authority.

The Demonic Angel April 1, 2022 - 6:32 pm
PLOT TWIST-The professor is a black woman……….not an evil white racist Karen.
"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm

The professor is an idiot and ignorant

What makes this worse is the cops thought this is a good use of their time :roll:

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
What makes this worse is the cops thought this is a good use of their time :roll:

Did they? What makes you think that?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:33 pm

KimD wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Did they? What makes you think that?

Any cop with any semblance of self-respect (or a brain) wouldn't answer this type of request. Instead they proceeded to drag the two young women out of the lecture theatre and grabbed their personal belongings.

As it turned out the professor and the police had breached University regulations acting the way they did over a trivial matter.

It's amazing how frequent stories like this are on the internet on a daily basis. In the same paper a grandmother was tased and handcuffed by police for having epileptic fit caused by withdrawal symptoms. In another story a Lyft driver was body slammed and handcuffed by police when he was only doing his job.

Sometimes even animals know the cops are acting evil, like this honourable police dog

I mean when the dog bites his minder for acting evil on a teenage boy you know something is seriously wrong with these cops. (BTW what a good boy the dog is).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:42 pm

This is being treated like a "Becky" incident, except in this case "Becky" is black.

Is the idea that this black professor wouldn't have gotten the police involved if the students had been white?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 11:48 pm

I can read CRAZY things like this sometimes. Someone called the police cuz McDonald’s was out of a certain food.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 11:59 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
This is being treated like a "Becky" incident, except in this case "Becky" is black.

Is the idea that this black professor wouldn't have gotten the police involved if the students had been white?

The professor didn't like the two students (you know it's not beyond people to dislike other people for reasons other than race) and she knew the police could be weaponised because the police are always ready/willing to act when black kids are involved.

In this respect she's not that different from our favourite Becky....Amy Cooper, who tried to weaponise the police.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

The professor didn't like the two students (you know it's not beyond people to dislike other people for reasons other than race) and she knew the police could be weaponised because the police are always ready/willing to act when black kids are involved.

In this respect she's not that different from our favourite Becky....Amy Cooper, who tried to weaponise the police.

So if the students had been white the police wouldn't have done anything?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:10 am

This gave me a laugh and tells a good story about this professor. Look at how many votes she got for "awful".

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRa ... id=1841747

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 5:02 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
This gave me a laugh and tells a good story about this professor. Look at how many votes she got for "awful".

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRa ... id=1841747

Well I guess she won't be showing this to the University promotions board :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 5:03 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

So if the students had been white the police wouldn't have done anything?

Who knows? they might want a free "feel" if they are pretty

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 9:52 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
The 3 comments on article at present are interesting,
"
Layla April 1, 2022 - 3:21 pm
What irresponsible reporting. You only know half the story and are making a lot assumptions. Obviously there is a backstory and context around disruptive behavior here. Also, GSU campus security are already in the building; that’s literally who faculty are directed to go to if a student is disruptive…it’s not like the professor actually called off-campus police as you are implying.

Indeed we don't know the full story. I would suggest that we all refrain from rushing to judgment one way or another about this particular incident.

It is true, more generally, that there is a longstanding pattern of police being unnecessarily called in situations involving black people. That's true regardless of whether the incident reported here is in fact an example of this pattern.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 10:02 am

As a college professor, I cannot condone her actions. If she wanted them to get there on time, she could easily tie there grades to attendance and not give them attendance points for the days that they are late. I used to have a very tardy student who would show up halfway through my lab class. At midterm, he was shocked to see a C grade instead of a A grade that he thought he had. I told him the reason was his tardiness and that there was time to correct it before his grade sunk further down the grading ladder.

There is no real reason to get the campus police involved unless the students are causing a physical disturbance in the classroom. I have had to do that only once in my decade + of teaching. The student involved was threatening to harm himself and others with a weapon he had. He was serious about his threat, so it was justified to get the campus police there to stop it. (He got sent to a mental heath institution for a very long stay. Drug addiction was involved.)