Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 2:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
KimD wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
What makes this worse is the cops thought this is a good use of their time :roll:

Did they? What makes you think that?

Any cop with any semblance of self-respect (or a brain) wouldn't answer this type of request. Instead they proceeded to drag the two young women out of the lecture theatre and grabbed their personal belongings.

As it turned out the professor and the police had breached University regulations acting the way they did over a trivial matter.

It's amazing how frequent stories like this are on the internet on a daily basis. In the same paper a grandmother was tased and handcuffed by police for having epileptic fit caused by withdrawal symptoms. In another story a Lyft driver was body slammed and handcuffed by police when he was only doing his job.

Sometimes even animals know the cops are acting evil, like this honourable police dog

I mean when the dog bites his minder for acting evil on a teenage boy you know something is seriously wrong with these cops. (BTW what a good boy the dog is).

I absolutely agree that many police officers respond inappropriately--to put it EXTREMELY MILDLY--to incidences, and even non-events, and I'm working in my own country to advocate for reform and accountability. The blatant discrimination, disrespect, and violence is absolutely inexcusable. However, depending on what the professor told them, it's entirely likely that these particular officers didn't have any option but to respond--campus policy may have equated that with negligence.

What they did when they got there is another matter entirely. I hope they (and the professor) held accountable in every single way.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 7:07 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
As a college professor, I cannot condone her actions. If she wanted them to get there on time, she could easily tie there grades to attendance and not give them attendance points for the days that they are late. I used to have a very tardy student who would show up halfway through my lab class. At midterm, he was shocked to see a C grade instead of a A grade that he thought he had. I told him the reason was his tardiness and that there was time to correct it before his grade sunk further down the grading ladder.

There is no real reason to get the campus police involved unless the students are causing a physical disturbance in the classroom. I have had to do that only once in my decade + of teaching. The student involved was threatening to harm himself and others with a weapon he had. He was serious about his threat, so it was justified to get the campus police there to stop it. (He got sent to a mental heath institution for a very long stay. Drug addiction was involved.)

Yes that's a good point, we don't know the history of these two students and whether they have caused disruption before. However there really is no point calling police over what is an internal matter and certainly not over being 2 min late.

I have been a microbiology lab demonstrator in the 1980s/1990s and we normally always give a 15min buffer for late students before marking them as late. Never had a student who was that unruly I had to call security though. Certainly not the cops. One time there were 4 students who were talking in class and I asked them to leave, They refused so I told them if they wanted to stay they needed to not disrupt the class because other students were here to learn, That was sufficient to shut them up.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 7:14 pm

KimD wrote:
I absolutely agree that many police officers respond inappropriately--to put it EXTREMELY MILDLY--to incidences, and even non-events, and I'm working in my own country to advocate for reform and accountability. The blatant discrimination, disrespect, and violence is absolutely inexcusable. However, depending on what the professor told them, it's entirely likely that these particular officers didn't have any option but to respond--campus policy may have equated that with negligence.

What they did when they got there is another matter entirely. I hope they (and the professor) held accountable in every single way.

Yes and this isn't a like a peculiarly American thing. The cops in Canada and here in Australia probably can be weaponised toward indigenous people as well. Currently Polish, Ukrainian and Romanian cops/authorities are being weaponised against foreign students trying to escape Ukraine,

Video footage has emerged of black and Indian men, women and children being hunted like animals on the border of Poland by far right groups who are being enabled by police bias. And that is the point. In the US everyone knows that when you say "I'm going to call the cops" on a black person it immediately puts their life at risk.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 8:42 pm

I'm going to guess that the actual call came after the students refused to leave voluntarily. The article skips a lot of details, but clearly states that the professor asked them to leave after they arrived late. Which would make the call related to refusal to leave (trespassing) and not the actual tardiness.

Still silly, but these kinds of details matter.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 4:11 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I'm going to guess that the actual call came after the students refused to leave voluntarily. The article skips a lot of details, but clearly states that the professor asked them to leave after they arrived late. Which would make the call related to refusal to leave (trespassing) and not the actual tardiness.

Still silly, but these kinds of details matter.

The professor would have to demonstrate the students were being disruptive, My guess is she was in starting to give a talk when they walked in and this may have irritated her and it escalated from there