I picked up a some nice PC speakers and...

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 3:43 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Are these speakers USB-powered (connection and power with one USB cord), or do they connect to the computer with an audio jack and include an adapter to plug into the wall outlet for power?

i can't tell if you're referring to my post or not, but just in case you are, they are reference monitor headphones used in professional audio work. they plug into a USB-powered digital audio "breakout box" made by Monoprice.

I was asking the OP about the nice PC speakers.

But I'll ask you:
*What is a USB-powered digital audio "breakout box" ?
*The headphones go into this box, and the box then connects to the PC with a USB?
*Does the box require a power source, or is it USB powered?
*When the headphones connect to the box, is it a USB connection, or audio jack? If it's an audio jack, then, in theory, could any headphones connect to the box? 3.5mm or 1/4 inch?

they call it a breakout box because it escapes the strictures of the soundcard on the motherboard, in terms of noise and distortion. most soundcards bundled with most puters lack proper insulation from electrical noise generated elsewhere in the computer. the digital signal is taken out via a USB port, then decoded into analog in the headphone amplifier [which can be outputted to an audio amplifier connected to speakers, or monitored directly from the box with headphones] thus avoiding the aforementioned noise pollution problem. other breakout boxes enable real-time multichannel recording, i don't do that. the box is plugged into my UPS. it is not USB-powered but would be nice if it were. the headphones plug directly via analog 1/8" stereo miniplug adaptor into a 1/4" headphone jack. the whole purpose it serves for me [other than avoiding noise/distortion, is that the on-board audio on the built-in soundcard is anemic, through my relatively insensitive Sennheiser HD580 cans only enough volume is produced to hear a whisper. the Monoprice amp has plenty of power for the most inefficient headphones to play loudly.