What is Unspecified Intellectual Disability?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 12:19 am

When I got older, I looked through my very old and outdated document that is mostly written in Hebrew, and at the bottom of the page, they wrote in English that they suspected that I have PDD-NOS and Mental Retardation Unspecified.

I know that I have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I don't know if I have a diagnosis of Mental Retardation Unspecified.

What is Mental Retardation Unspecified?

Updated question, what is Unspecified Intellectual Disability?

I really don't like the word "Unspecified", because it doesn't really explain what is wrong with me.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 2:12 pm

"Unspecified" literally means not specifically identified - which is to say: identified but only generally, not specifically.
"NOS" also is "Not Otherwise Specified" which means, in the opinion of the person making the diagnosis the individual fits into the General Category, but not any of the Specific Categories. PDD is "Persistent Developmental DIsability" so "PDD NOS" may mean that even though the patient / client does not strictly meet the criteria for ADHD or any of the other PDD specific categories, the doc still thinks there is SOME KIND of PDD even if not the kinds usually on the list.

As a "science" there is a lot of room for subjectivity in "psychology".

The "Not A, not B, not C, but D: none of the above" type criteria in the DSM are for these cases.

Don't know if that really helps, but that Is how I think about it.

Last edited by Fenn on 03 Apr 2022, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 2:16 pm

It makes more sense, it just doesn't explain what is actually wrong with me.

CoolHandLuke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2022, 2:24 pm

I think it's what some of my relatives might have. But , I have higher than normal IQ, apparently, So it might just be a frustration with speaking with them, sometimes, and their ways of understanding and perceiving the world, being on a different wavelength than myself, a generally more cruder and simplified perspective, devoid of any nuances or refinement, or even sensitivity. That makes me think this.

As far as myself. Throwing my relatives intellectual capacity under the bus, aside. Intellectually I'm as capable as anybody. But the real world cares little for intellect. The real world being the multitude of people, you encounter, who you are expected to conform to, like what they like, think what they think, believe what they believe, act like they act. Ad nauseum. Executive functioning, emotional resilience. Internal regulation of ones mind. Aspergers, you know the story there.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 2:35 pm

It makes sense.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 3:55 pm

Diagnosis from the DSM never tells what is wrong. It just tells what behaviors can be observed.
It doesn't talk about what you are - just what you do.

What is wrong is that you are different - and being different can be had some times.

But being different is OK too. Lots or people are different.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm

Thank you!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 5:28 am

It means "this kid is f****d up, but we cant figure out exactly in what way this kid is f****d up, so we cant put a specific label on it." :lol:

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 4:45 pm

The way you explained it is funny.

Why do bad words get censored? I don't get offended by it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 6:50 am

Because other people get offended by it.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:18 am

It makes sense.