Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lostnotfound
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2022, 10:40 am

Just saw a video, supposedly reviewing depression... some people don't know their point of view, I swear... in comparison, I'm in a solipsistic universe; put out some 800 videos, nary a comment...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 11:09 am

I have the impression that everyone sometimes feels depressed, but that popular people -- by virtue of their innate abilities to socially 'mask' and adapt -- do not receive as much attention (and needed treatment) as those of us who have more difficulty in hiding our moods.

And yes, I do mean everything from having a simple case of "The Blues" to full-on clinical depression.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 6:16 am

Plenty of well-loved, famous people who've committed or tried to commit suicide - Kurt Cobain, Robin Williams, Terry Pratchett, etc.

Popularity doesn't magically make your problems go away. It just means more people paying attention to your problems.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 10:43 am

I don't find that funny at all.

Sort of means......that "being popular" isn't all that it's cracked up to be.....

I'm not particularly "popular"----yet I'm okay with that. I don't rely on people. I rely on Nature and Knowledge.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 10:44 am

Depression involves chemical imbalances in the brain, which can be exacerbated by tobacco, drugs, and alcohol.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 3:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't find that funny at all.

Sort of means......that "being popular" isn't all that it's cracked up to be......

I think it's funny that unpopular people always say this.

I doubt it's the being popular that can make one depressed. It's probably more to do with a predisposition to having depression.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 6:36 pm

Not funny for me.
More like old news. Or stock knowledge. Or even common sense.

I just never assume anyone who seem to 'have it all' are all happy, happier overall or even content. Nor do have any underlying problems and vulnerabilities.
They only have it all more convenient in one or several fronts.

Depending on the individual; extroversion, as a behavior, can even be a coping mechanism.
Therefore, socializing, can be very much a form of addiction or distraction, just as much as any drug of choice do.

Also depending on the individual; social achievements and popularity, do not equally mean resonance with the crowd, or social fulfillment or even not feeling lonely.
Just do any achievements and terms of success in a person's context, it can be deemed meaningless or even a painful burden for themselves.

Therefore yes, being popular can cause depression.
Especially if the person in question don't want anything to do with it and is playing the stupid facades game in fear of losing face.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.