Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 3:36 pm

Its really a hefty [shortish but dense] and really polemical book, Im pretty sure I didnt damage it at all, then I go to sign it out again about 3 months after I turned it in and there is no record of it on the library catalogue.

I ask at the desk and they say its "discarded" lol.

I was willing to chip in a replacement but not at the current price, and I notified the author at her acedemic email, but shes on leave having a kid.

A good chunk of preview is online, but the whole book is pricey.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 3:58 pm

War on Autism examines autism as a historically specific and power-laden cultural phenomenon that has much to teach about the social organization of a neoliberal western modernity.  Bringing together a variety of interpretive theoretical perspectives including critical disability studies, queer and critical race theory, and cultural studies, the book analyzes the social significance and productive effects of contemporary discourses of autism as these are produced and circulated in the field of autism advocacy.  Anne McGuire discusses how in the field of autism advocacy, autism often appears as an abbreviation, its multiple meanings distilled to various "red flag" warnings in awareness campaigns, bulleted biomedical facts in information pamphlets, or worrisome statistics in policy reports.  She analyzes the relationships between these fragmentary enactments of autism and traces their continuities to reveal an underlying, powerful, and ubiquitous logic of violence that casts autism as a pathological threat that advocacy must work to eliminate.  Such logic, McGuire contends, functions to delimit the role of the "good" autism advocate to one who is positioned "against" autism.

Source:
 University of Michigan Press 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:15 pm

yeah I forgot about that. the library could be framed by some doofus just to troll up s**t, lol, Im sorry library. :oops:

Last edited by The_Znof on 06 Apr 2022, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:17 pm

The_Znof wrote:
yeah I forgot about that. Your trying to frame the library huh?
No, I am trying to promote an informed public.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
The_Znof wrote:
yeah I forgot about that. Your trying to frame the library huh?
No, I am trying to promote an informed public.

I tried to change that, since I was serous bout the library being framed it made no sense to joke about you being the one, just confused everything.

also I was gong to put what you posted in my post but forgot or changed my mind, cant really remember lol. I did have it open in another tab.

but now this whole operation is a trainwreck due to new info, :skull:

The book does need more presence here, but this aint it! bunch of drama bout some library lol

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:35 pm

Does this mean you are against an informed public?  Do you want them to see only your spin on the story?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 9:36 pm

I have no alterative spin to the text you bolded from the .umich.edu link, and have no idea why you would think otherwise,

well did you think Anne was approving of what she was describing?

Please elaborate why your bolded text seems to you some alternative 'spin' on anything ive said anywhere on Anne Mc Guire..

as it stands this is honesty a bit stalkerish, but more amusing than disturbing.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 7:14 am

some libraries automatically discard books published before a certain date. No 100 year old books on any library shelves any more. It would be interesting to learn their criteria regarding this particular book, it was published in 2016. Is anything published 5 years ago now considered out of date?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 7:51 am

autisticelders wrote:
some libraries automatically discard books published before a certain date.

Libraries also withdraw books which have circulation rates below a certain frequency, that is another possibility.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 5:57 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
autisticelders wrote:
some libraries automatically discard books published before a certain date.

Libraries also withdraw books which have circulation rates below a certain frequency, that is another possibility.

that is worth looking into, but the person who informed me used to word "discarded", and it is an expensive book from a Canadian Professor. - Plus this branch host book sales consistently.

another issue with that low frequency in this case is somebody did sign it out 3 months max before it was removed, that should have saved it from getting tossed for non use.

All of the other possible explanations have interesting issues too, so this is valid input, thanks.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 6:45 pm

The_Znof wrote:
the person who informed me used to word "discarded"

Given that words have meanings and that people often employ deliberately selected words, that is a point of interest.
And especially since there is common usage of words and then there is bureaucratic usage which may or may not have precisely the same denotative and/or connotative meanings as common usage.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:56 am

discarded books often end up being the sales books at the library sales, it generally does not mean they burn it or trash it. Many end up in charity resale shops locally.
If you wish to own the book, you might find a used one on amazon, thriftbooks or the like at a reduced price.
I get almost all my books that way.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 12:33 pm

This is bigger than me.

By documenting the war on autism, professor Mc Guire got involved in the war.

She did a great job and this book belongs in the library, not on someone’s shelf

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 11:20 am

There is a [I think] legit upload of the whole book in PDF here, https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bits ... Thesis.pdf

I still think about this 'discarded' issue, and think it may be overeating and futile try to investigate the Vancouver library on this*, but is my be worth a look to see if there is an issue with libraries in general.

In cancel culture there could be a lot of problems if library staff can just discard books without any accountability,

The reason I have concerns is that the corruption and nonsense anne exposes is so strong that it sound like conspiracy theory, and she lays into Frith and Baron Cohen in a huge way.

It is possible some library staff skimmed it after I or somebody else returned it and thought Anne was a whack job.

*except maybe go in and find out exactly what they mean by the word "discarded", in case it was merely sold

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2022, 12:16 am

Whew, I thought the library was waging war!
My library lets us readers request books for them to buy. Why not see if yours has a request system?