Male, Female brain 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
Female, Male brain 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
Female, Female brain 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 30

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 8:24 am

Female brain - matches my birth gender. It makes me feel a little bit ashamed. It also makes me skeptical of the other 'features' it describes.
My eyes are drawn to the legs of the characters. This is clearly in line with the "away from" perspective relationship.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 4:15 am

magz wrote:
A running figure in such lighting would have their bent leg visibly highlighted from below if they were running towards you but not so much if they were running towards the light.
The bent leg is also visibly thinner than the straight one.
This silhuette is made from a photo of a running person taken from behind, without enough distance and zoom to eliminate perspective distortions.

I have autistic mind.

Brilliant response Magz.
This the skill the witches in the Discworld novels have. It's called "First Sight", seeing what is actually there, rather than the "Second Sight" which is seeing you think is there.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 4:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
you're not supposed to analyze it. Its about your automatic gut reaction the moment you see it. Folks always see him as running. Some see it as toward them. Some as away, and toward the light. Obviously its designed to be "an illusion", and to be ambiguous.

Well, you can't just present an image to autistic people and expect them not to analyize it.

Indeed, there is a bit in a few of Toby Attwood's recorded talks where her describes the picture and make up story parts of done of the assessment tools. On picture has boy giving little girl a ball, broken window in the background, most likely story made up by typical person being little girl happy to be given ball but older brother happy because little sister gets the blame for broken window,... But one Dr Attwood's young patients simple looked back at Tony Attwood and replied "No way Dr Tony. No way is a ball that size going to make a hole that small in a window"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 8:21 am

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
You're not supposed to analyze it.  It's about your automatic gut reaction the moment you see it.  Folks always see him as running.  Some see it as toward them.  Some as away, and toward the light.  Obviously its designed to be "an illusion", and to be ambiguous.
No analysis was involved in my first impression: A man standing on one leg with one arm partially extended.  Which way he is facing is not apparent to me.

Really?

Your immediate reaction was "there is a dude standing stationary on one leg"? Like Ian Anderson playing the flute on the cover of that Jethro Tull album?

I suppose that would make you "dead center". Halfway between male and female. :lol:

I glanced at it and ...had the instant emotional reaction that "that guy is coming at me to attack me".

But since the topic is an "optical illusion" its a tip off that its just that. So then ofcourse I am going to look at it for a second nanosecond and then see how it is cleverly drawn to look like he is running either way. But its that FIRST reaction in the first nanosecond that counts for the survey. So the running at me interpretation is what I went with. Going into analysis about how "well the top looks like he is doing this, and the arms look like that" is just wasting our time telling us what we already know. That its an optical illusion. The question is "what did you see when you first glanced at it?". And maybe some folks couldnt interpret it at first glance. I dunno. But my guess is that most folks see at as either running toward, or as running away, from the viewer. One or the other.

That initial gut emotional reaction is what counts. Not your ability to solve puzzles.

Interestingly many who see it opposite of me say that he is, not "running away from me", but phrase it that he is "running toward the light". I saw him as a threat. But others may read into it that he is a fellow sufferer of imprisonment seeking escape to freedom...maybe? And that you're right behind him also trying to escape.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 8:31 am

At least, if we keep talking about the illusion, and not about what is female vs male, we won't get banned. If the test were accurate, it would be more controversial.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 8:45 am

I am playing the "devils advocate" in opposition to most folks on the thread- to some degree. I kinda agree that the test is kinda silly as far as actually telling you anything. Just saying that if you're gonna play the game of taking the survey then play the game right.

However the test may tell you something about how 'self centered' you are. If you see it as either "someone attacking me", or as "someone running away from me" maybe you're more self centered than someone who sees it as "he running towards the light". Or maybe if you're the later than you are ...more claustrophobic than average. Lol!

But male vs female? Not obvious to me how that would work.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 3:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
You're not supposed to analyze it.  It's about your automatic gut reaction the moment you see it.  Folks always see him as running.  Some see it as toward them.  Some as away, and toward the light.  Obviously its designed to be "an illusion", and to be ambiguous.
No analysis was involved in my first impression: A man standing on one leg with one arm partially extended.  Which way he is facing is not apparent to me.
Really?  Your immediate reaction was "there is a dude standing stationary on one leg"?  Like Ian Anderson playing the flute on the cover of that Jethro Tull album? . . .
Something like that.  Never could tell which way a person was facing from only a front/rear silhouette.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 7:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I am playing the "devils advocate" in opposition to most folks on the thread- to some degree. I kinda agree that the test is kinda silly as far as actually telling you anything. Just saying that if you're gonna play the game of taking the survey then play the game right.

However the test may tell you something about how 'self centered' you are. If you see it as either "someone attacking me", or as "someone running away from me" maybe you're more self centered than someone who sees it as "he running towards the light". Or maybe if you're the later than you are ...more claustrophobic than average. Lol!

But male vs female? Not obvious to me how that would work.

I don't believe in the veracity of the test given the mixed results on this forum and the lack of evidence based research on gender differences in brain structure.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 7:50 pm

I guess the reason this test is designed this way is:
They believe that men are more sensitive to confrontational behavior and are therefore more inclined to recognize images that are rushing towards them.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 8:50 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
They believe that men are more sensitive to confrontational behavior and are therefore more inclined to recognize images that are rushing towards them.

Biologically speaking both men and women are controlled by the same triad of hormones when facing perception of danger. It's called the fight or flight response and its autonomic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 2:52 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:

Thats plausible. That that is actually true of the two sexes is possible. Or that it isnt true but that the creators of the test think its true - thats also possible.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:54 am

My brain can always see both sides of these things, but my first impression was he was running towards the light. I mean who wouldn't be running towards the exit in a dark tunnel, but to run deeper into it? If they replace the background with something more neutral I might have a different answer. :)

And ya he might be running away because I'm chasing him, too. :D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 4:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Saw it as running toward me - for a split second- then saw that it could just as easily be running away from me. So going with the first impression I would have a "male brain". So they sexed me right. And yes...their description fits me well (intense analytical thinker, bad multitasker). So in this one instance they got it right. Could mean the test is valid, or not.
me too. And the split second was very short. Then I kept seeing them both alternating. When I read the description, it actually fit me. As per their description, I am extremely male brained but almost equally female brained as well.

Wreck It Ralph

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 4:33 am

skibum wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Saw it as running toward me - for a split second- then saw that it could just as easily be running away from me. So going with the first impression I would have a "male brain".

Me, too. But I didn’t personalize the action. Like it was in a movie. Movie man running into tunnel. Movie man running out of tunnel.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:32 am

Curious , first running away, then could be see as running toward me, then it looked like someone kicking .
Then back to original was a black cutout image against the background that was presented to create its own illusion.
Fun .. but as clickbait ? It was still a okay distraction.

where ever you go ,there you are

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:50 am

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00677-x

Neurosexism: the myth that men and women have different brains
The hunt for male and female distinctions inside the skull is a lesson in bad research practice.

(I saw the image as static when I first saw it. not running in either direction. After looking closely, I can see a calf muscle and toes so I know which way the figure is drawn to look like its moving, but that doesn't really count.)