Is it stupid to be in love with someone if they aren't.....?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 1:03 pm

Is it stupid to be in love with someone if they aren't in love with you too?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 1:11 pm

Its not "stupid" per se. Happens to me all of the time, myself.

Whats counter productive is being willfully blind to the fact that they dont reciprocate the feeling. Stay aware that they arent in love with you, and to the possibiity that they may never return the emotion. Move on, if necessary to someone else.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 1:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
. . . What's counter-productive is being willfully blind to the fact that they don't reciprocate the feeling.  Stay aware that they aren't in love with you, and to the possibility that they may never return the emotion.  Move on, if necessary to someone else.
Seconded, every word.

It sucks to have a crush on someone who cannot or will not feel the same way toward you.  So the OP's best course of action is to simply accept it and quietly move on.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 10:22 am

@naturalplastic
@Fnord

I appreciate the advice!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 10:35 am

That's the way I feel about it, too.....

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 2:31 am

This happened to me once when I was young and it was really tough on me for a few months because I really felt like I was in love. The way I got over with it is I kept telling my brain that it was being duped and that it's not worth loving someone who doesn't love you back, and you're being fooled, brain...

Eventually I just fell out of love and after telling myself that and it worked. Not sure if that's good advice, but I hope it helps.

lovelyanathema
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2022, 3:42 am

not stupid as in you've done something wrong, but stupid as in it's painful

D0rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2022, 7:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Whats counter productive is being willfully blind to the fact that they dont reciprocate the feeling. Stay aware that they arent in love with you, and to the possibiity that they may never return the emotion. Move on, if necessary to someone else.

Hard pill to swallow but true.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 10:38 am

No, because you can’t help how you feel and vise versa. I have had romantic feelings for a few guys who I had crushes on who didn’t feel that way back. While it hurts that they don’t like you back, you have to let it flow

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 4:05 pm

In letting go, it may also help to ask yourself what love is. Do they see something you don't, and thus look elsewhere? Or do you pine for them because the fantasy is attractive, and feels better than a real relationship?

Also, many unhealthy people function well together, through a common goal. I'm not sure many relationships last based on just love.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 9:37 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

:chin:
Yes. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 9:40 pm

ironpony wrote:
This happened to me once when I was young and it was really tough on me for a few months because I really felt like I was in love. The way I got over with it is I kept telling my brain that it was being duped and that it's not worth loving someone who doesn't love you back, and you're being fooled, brain...

Eventually I just fell out of love and after telling myself that and it worked. Not sure if that's good advice, but I hope it helps.

Luv is a state of mind caused by a chemical reaction in the brain.
It fads over time, if you stop "feeding" it. :wink:

BTW, people *do* have control over whether or not they fall in luv.
It simply takes a bit of life experience to realise this Truth. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 9:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
. . . What's counter-productive is being willfully blind to the fact that they don't reciprocate the feeling.  Stay aware that they aren't in love with you, and to the possibility that they may never return the emotion.  Move on, if necessary to someone else.
Seconded, every word.

It sucks to have a crush on someone who cannot or will not feel the same way toward you.  So the OP's best course of action is to simply accept it and quietly move on.[/color]

Based on my research on different types of luv, a one-sided luv is not a Truth luving situation.
It is infatuation. 8)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Apr 2022, 9:22 am

Being in love with someone who is not in love with you is not stupid. Love is a feeling & feelings are NOT stupid. However in some sever cases it can be related to the delusional disorder, Erotomania if the person in love believes that the other loves them when the object of their affection clearly does not. Erotomania can also involve the person in love knowing that their affection is not reciprocated but they come up with crazy dangerous plans believing that they can get the object of their affection to fall in love with them. It can lead to things like stalking, kidnapping, violence, & threatening & such.
Being in love with someone who does not love you can also be related to an OCD obsession & Aspie special interests but being in love in general even when it's reciprocated can be related to those things. When love is not reciprocated in some cases it can lead to depression.
If you don't lose your grip on reality & keep your head about you, being in love with someone who does not love you may majorly hurt but you'll turn out OK. I know about this because of some personal experience but very luckily I realized how crazy I was & the LAST thing I ever want to do is hurt someone I love so I never actually tried anything.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 1:44 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

How long did you know this person before you decided you were in love with them?

If you haven't known the person for very long, then you can't possibly really love them for who they really are. You can love only a very incomplete image of them that you have in your head.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 2:04 pm

There is another reason to consider how long you've known them. If you've not known them very long then it might be a case of they don't love you yet. In that case, don't scare them off!

Personally, there have been some gals who wanted me but the feeling wasn't mutual, and there were some gals I wanted...and the feeling wasn't mutual. It took me a very long time to find a gal who wanted me and where the feeling was mutual. (And I'm an Autie and "Romance" is not an area where I'm skilled—so I was very lucky. And it is possible I was oblivious to some good matches I met earlier in life, but my bride would definitely object to me regretting that!)