excess saliva problems [ok, drooling], anybody?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

excess saliva [drooling] poll, who here has this problem?
yes, that'd be me. :oops: 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
now and then when i'm preoccupied. :| 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
no, never! :o 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
where's my yummy ice cream, no wonder i'm drooling! :chef: 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 11:48 pm

who here has or had a problem with excess saliva production or lack of control of their saliva [drooling]? btw, is this an aspie thing?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 11:56 pm

Only when I sleep. During the day my mouth seems to be too dry most of the time, possibly from my medication.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 11:57 pm

I had an issue with that when I was younger and I very occasionally still do. :oops: It was at its worst though when I got braces and then afterwards got my retainer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 12:23 am

i useta have problems with night drooling, but as i've grown old my saliva production has vastly slowed down. i had many an embarrassing public doddering moment, however. :oops:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 1:24 am

Idk sometimes if I get out of my head focused on something I might drool cause I am so focused I am just not aware of my face muscles idk. But I also drool when sleeping, I mean it is not an unusual experiance for me to turn my pillow over because I've drooled all over it in my sleep and its wet so I flip it around. But I also usually make all manner of gross troll noises when waking up in the morning so a bit of drool is nothing. I have dubbed myself the morning troll, because I do really feel like a troll in the morning. especially with all the gross sounds I make.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 2:17 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Only when I sleep. During the day my mouth seems to be too dry most of the time, possibly from my medication.

This is me! I frequently wake up at night because I've wet my pillow from my own drool. Not sure if this is cute or gross...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 2:22 am

^^^you're in good company here. what does one say to somebody who sees and is grossed-out by us drooling in front of them?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 4:42 am

No I don't have this problem.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 4:44 am

^^^you're very fortunate.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 12:32 pm

Years ago there was this game one of my ex's played...gta...they had these awful commercials on the games (most amusing and totally tasteless) and one of them was for 'salivex' which was apparently made by salivation philanthropists. I could have gotten work with that company for all the saliva I make. :lol: Yeah, I soak my pillows and the stuff doesn't always stay in my mouth while awake either. Not sure if its an autism thing, but it's a thing with me.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 12:39 pm

I don't think I have excess saliva, my drooling problem has happened as I have aged. I have a frown-face when I am not actively speaking, and the corners of my mouth turn down. My lower lip is larger than my upper lip. Since I was a child I have often been a "mouth breather" due to allergies. when I relax my face muscles the corners of the mouth are lower than my lower lip and saliva seeps out the corners of my mouth. Ageing has not helped me much. I can't tell you the times I have woke to find drool on my face/neck/pillow, etc. Getting old isn't pretty, but it still beats the alternative!! ;)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm

^^^ :heart: thank you ALL for your courage in posting about your struggles! :heart:

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2022, 7:52 pm

I drool a lot in my sleep. Also, during the day if I am real focused on something and not paying attention I've been known to drool right on whatever I was doing. Luckily I manage to catch myself before it really gets drooled on and it doesn't happen often around others so only I get embarrassed. It's gotten better as I've gotten older, but used to be more of a problem.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:13 am

thanks Lady :) i'm glad i'm not the only one.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:24 pm

Yes ive had this, an unusual symptom never even thought related to being an aspie, learn something new everyday

- George Bernie Shaw

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 1:55 am

^^^at least you're in good company here :wtg: