Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 1:58 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Fnord wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
How many feel it's periodically necessary to flip coins as one of many means of decision making -- that is decisions only involving the more minor aspects of life? . . .
Sometimes, when all the facts are in, making any decision becomes more important than making the right decision.
Exactly!  I remember hearing on NPR about making decisions that said this.  I thought to myself . . . oh, that’s me!  I like to think I’ve been making faster decisions since learning that.
It is easy to get caught up in "Analysis Paralysis" -- whereby one is so concerned with analyzing the data (and collecting more data in the process) that they never get around to making an actual decision.

(Look up "Political Debate" for examples.)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Fnord wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
How many feel it's periodically necessary to flip coins as one of many means of decision making -- that is decisions only involving the more minor aspects of life? . . .
Sometimes, when all the facts are in, making any decision becomes more important than making the right decision.[/color]
Exactly!  I remember hearing on NPR about making decisions that said this.  I thought to myself . . . oh, that’s me!  I like to think I’ve been making faster decisions since learning that.
It is easy to get caught up in "Analysis Paralysis" -- whereby one is so concerned with analyzing the data (and collecting more data in the process) that they never get around to making an actual decision.

(Look up "Political Debate" for examples.)[/color]

As an aside:
True, but did you know that difficulty in decision making can also be a sign of underlying intelligence, due to more things being considered?

As my grandpappy used to say:
"Life is simple for simple people." 8)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 6:21 pm

^
Indeed, I've often wished I were so stupid that I could just barge in, jump to glib conclusions, and act. But once I've had that "wait a minute, there's more to it than that" moment, it's hard to ignore it. So I tend to get most things right, when it's possible to get them right at all, but it can be painfully time-consuming. The fable of the tortoise and the hare has a lot to answer for.