We need a joke thread to be a sticky

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm

There are a few "post a joke" threads floating around the site and I feel one of them should be a sticky in the random discussion. Sometimes I think of a really good joke that I'd like to share but the most recent joke thread is buried and I can't find it even when using the advanced search feature and then I forget the joke (yes I know I could write them down but...you know, I have ADHD...)

So is it a good idea to have a joke thread as a sticky so that members can post a joke there? It will be like having our own joke book. :)

Just a thought.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 5:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:

So is it a good idea to have a joke thread as a sticky so that members can post a joke there? It will be like having our own joke book. :)

Just a thought.

Bad idea.
"Fun" is verboten on The Wrong Planet. :mrgreen:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:14 pm

I also support.
Does it require joint application or something?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Apr 2022, 7:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
There are a few "post a joke" threads floating around the site and I feel one of them should be a sticky in the random discussion.
Which thread?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 12:22 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
There are a few "post a joke" threads floating around the site and I feel one of them should be a sticky in the random discussion.
Which thread?

I don't know, there are quite a few. They're just general "post a joke" threads.

Edit: This one maybe? As it's the most recent.

viewtopic.php?t=405029

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 12:41 pm

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=405029
This one looks like it has potential.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Apr 2022, 3:39 pm

Those links are for the same thread - which doesn't look like it's thriving, and isn't really demonstrating a "need" that couldn't already be addressed by a browser bookmark.
Are there any others showing more interest?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 5:54 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Those links are for the same thread - which doesn't look like it's thriving, and isn't really demonstrating a "need" that couldn't already be addressed by a browser bookmark.
Are there any others showing more interest?

Well threads don't last long in random discussion because there are too many "last thing you ate" type of threads that thrive forever. There have been some joke threads with a lot of pages but they just got buried and now I can't find them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 6:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Which thread?

I don't know, there are quite a few. They're just general "post a joke" threads.

Edit: This one maybe? As it's the most recent.

viewtopic.php?t=405029

Why don't you create one?
Call it: "Joe's (I'm a gurl) joke thread". :mrgreen:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Apr 2022, 5:01 am

Joe90 wrote:
Well threads don't last long in random discussion because there are too many "last thing you ate" type of threads that thrive forever. There have been some joke threads with a lot of pages but they just got buried and now I can't find them.
Simply bookmarking a thread is an effective way of keeping it located. Then it doesn't matter how many other threads get created that might push it off the first index page because you have a local record of it.
For active threads a bookmark can also be updated occasionally to point to the most recent posts - there's no need to keep it pointing at the opening post.

I'm generally in favor of stickies and sympathetic to requests, but I must respect Alex's decision to minimize the number of stickies in any forum - it becomes too easy to have them crowd out new material to the bottom of the page or in an extreme case, the next page.

For this reason I'll need to see good cause illustrating the importance or popularity of any given thread before seriously considering requests to make it a sticky. If every suggestion for a sticky was implemented there would be little else on index pages.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 9:29 pm

Bookmarking by individual users is not an adequate substitute for a sticky thread, IMO. In order to have the same effect, the users who bookmark it would need to make a point of posting regularly in the thread, more than they otherwise would, so everyone else sees it too.

How about a locked sticky thread that lists various threads that would be stickied were it not for the need to limit stickies?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Apr 2022, 5:38 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Bookmarking by individual users is not an adequate substitute for a sticky thread, IMO. In order to have the same effect, the users who bookmark it would need to make a point of posting regularly in the thread, more than they otherwise would, so everyone else sees it too.
Fair point - I was thinking more from an individual user's viewpoint. But then, posting regularly/often could be a good argument for making a thread sticky.

Quote:
How about a locked sticky thread that lists various threads that would be stickied were it not for the need to limit stickies?
I've asked here but received no realistic candidates for a sticky and over time, there have been similar requests for threads that are all but dead. I'd think that any nominated thread should at least receive a few new posts by its proponents, but even that doesn't happen.

Making a sticky for [x] always seems to be a fleeting idea that [x] is very good, but somehow the idea never demonstrates traction through thread usage.
I saw a comment lamenting how a thread had apparently been unstickied so I checked and while it spanned several pages and appeared to have died, I stickied it again anyway and responded to the comment.
Result? Five posts since December 2020 and none from the poster commenting on it being unstickied.
:shrug:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 5:44 am

I'm posting a reply every now and then for the thread I nominated for Joe and I.
This may be a substitute for the sticky function.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Apr 2022, 6:13 am

Ah, this was a genuine LOL: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=405029&start=32#p9017819

Ok then, it's now stickied - but I really hope to see lots of traffic...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 3:29 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Ah, this was a genuine LOL: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=405029&start=32#p9017819

Ok then, it's now stickied - but I really hope to see lots of traffic...

Oh thank you. I'm sorry I haven't posted any jokes in it, I can't think of any right now but the minute I think of a clever joke I will post it in the thread! I still read the jokes in the thread though, and now that it's a sticky it can be another thing I can check each time I go into Random Discussion.

Some members here think I don't have a sense of humour, but in real life I have a huge sense of humour.