BC Couple Turns Their Resort into a Home for Ukrainians

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 4:55 pm

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/couple-converts-resort-property-into-ukrainian-refugee-home/

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 5:12 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

I hope they don't get hassled by local NIMBYs.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2022, 5:19 am

I hope the trend holds and we generally become more hospitable towards people fleeing horrors in their homelands.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 9:06 pm

magz wrote:
I hope the trend holds and we generally become more hospitable towards people fleeing horrors in their homelands.

I see Poland and Hungary are accepting millions of Ukrainians as refugees. I imagine this creating a heavy burden on both countries.

I am, however, curious how the right wing governments of Poland and Hungary justified having hard borders preventing entry of Syrian and Iraqi war refugees some years earlier? Many of those (including Kurds and Yazidis fleeing ISIS) subsequently died of hypothermia on the border.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Apr 2022, 2:20 am

I don't know about Hungary but in Poland, people were strongly divided over migrant issues... up to now.

Generally, everywhere in the world, ignorance feeds prejudice. Right now, even those very poorly educated and uninterested in the world outside their own parish do understand what's going on across our border and why we need to help.

The question that puzzles me about earlier waves of migration: Human traffickers charge quite a lot of money. Why people who can afford it couldn't afford legal entry? It's something wrong with general immigration policy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 6:04 am

magz wrote:
The question that puzzles me about earlier waves of migration: Human traffickers charge quite a lot of money. Why people who can afford it couldn't afford legal entry? It's something wrong with general immigration policy.

This has been the argument put forward by our conservative politicians here in Australia. Therefore anyone attempting to enter Australia by boat is deemed "illegal" (technically this label is not legally correct as asylum seekers are subject to international protections). We call these people boat people (I supposed they are in the same situation as those who pay people to smuggle them across borders into Europe and America).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Apr 2022, 11:54 am

For me, that's an argument for revision of immigration policies.
Offer safe, controlled and legal options for people desperate to get here anyway. Even if that had to include jumping through several loops, it shouldn't be as hard as paying serious money for risking one's life.
Also, target human traffickers, not their clients.