It took me 20 years to find out that I have milder symptoms

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 12:48 am

I asked here what Unspecified Intellectual Disability means. At first, I thought I am only bad at academics and had severe communication delays, but as an adult, I found out that I have severe problems with learning from experience, problem solving and milder problems with adaptive functioning, and especially from looking through my IEP and medical records.

My symptoms of Intellectual Disability is so mild, that it took 20 years for me to find out about my symptoms of Intellectual Disability. I am 21 years old now.

My IQ can very, but historically, it was very low for my age.

I only meet 6 out of 9 symptoms of Intellectual Disability.

I can reason most of the time, and I can make logical arguments.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 6:22 am

each of us is so different! I did not find out about my own disabilities until I was 68. I never suspected! It is good you are still young, there are lots of things we can use to help ourselves get through life, but first we have to figure out what our personal struggles are.

I can tell you are doing a lot of hard work sorting it all out.

The more we know and understand about ourselves, the more options we have for how we live our lives.

I wish I had known sooner about my own hidden disabilities. But I am happy to know now too.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 9:02 am

Thank you!