You Can Be Autistic As Long As You Think Like Everyone Else.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 4:42 am

Ok. I do not know if I am on the spectrum as it will be coming up to three years of waiting to be assessed towards the end of this month, but I do pick up on things and patterns of things regardless of if I am or if I am not on the spectrum. (Some say I am and others say I am not).
Anyway. The point of this thread is that not long after I was on the assessment list I joined this site because I did not know if I had done the right thing to be on the list. Oh yes, I had problems because my life had fallen downhill and I had lost a lot and was losing hope and could no longer work and could not see a way out but this does not neccessarily mean I am on the spectrum but it may very much mean I am? Who knows!

But since joining this site, I am one who can see patterns. Now one well known autism trait is that people who are on the spectrum are said to think outside the box (Whichever box they mean?) In other words they are said to think differently and see things differently and can pick out things which others who are not autistic often miss.

The problem with this thinking is that I happen to be someone who has always thought in this way so I very much notice if people are different. What I have noticed on this site though is a possible other trait which is either NT associated or could be an autistic weakness for some, and that is that many of you are very much suseptable to media brainwashing. If the press say it is how it is then without questioning what was said you believe it.
I am not saying this to pick on anyone as this is not the point at all. My point is that most of todays society thinks like this and is very much easily brainwashed in this way and it is concerning because while the news may or may not be telling us the truth or telling us the news without having a bias (It is rare these days to see unbiassed news), this is not the point. The point is that autistic people are supposed to be able to think differently so why do I repeatedly see on this site brainwashed people verbally bullying those who can see outside of the media brainwashed box?

So my point is that we really need to look after each other and cherish the ones who think differently and not view their oppinions as a threat but as a challenge!

Question. How does one know if one has been brainwashed? Because one will become angry that someone dare have a view that challenges ones own.
Naturally we have different views but we would naturally want to hear anyone with a different view to our own as we as human beings are naturally inquisitive.
But brainwashed individuals are not natrually inquisitive but will attack others views if they are different and will defend their own views by launching the attack and feel that their "Rights" have been violated.
One sees this in communist countries a lot where they have had years of communistic brainwashing, and even many years after such a country may have turned to democracy the people still think in communistic ways.

The dangers today are that the ways in which the media have moved away from genuine unbiased news reporting and towards using the news to forge and influence "Public oppinion" even telling people what public oppinion is, and we have big future problems in the western world.

We have to stop to ask ourselves when we see a war for example what is really going on here and who is actually against whom and why? We have been so far brainwashed as we can miss the real reasons why one country may have acted as they have done and they could at times be justified to start a war to protect rheir own futures from other who are acting against them? And we may miss this through a mass media brainwashing campaign.
Brainwashing is not new. One may be mistaken if one thinks it started with Hitlers bright posters and campaigns. Brainwashing has been around for centuaries and in some ways was the only way to get any work done at all! But the negative sides of brainwashing are when those of us who do think differently can find ourselves under attack from those who unknowingly are, and those who are attacking mistakingly think they are victims themselves and are defending "Their rights".

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2022, 5:03 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Question. How does one know if one has been brainwashed? Because one will become angry that someone dare have a view that challenges ones own.
If someone was following you around, claiming that your left leg does not exist and you're brainwashed to believe it's here, you would most likely get angry at some point.
Would it be really a sign of being brianwashed?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 5:03 am

IDK, I think I've seen more free thinkers here than on any other forum that I've been active on.
Also, don't mistake tin foils for free thinkers, they are just as much sheep as the mainstream media eat ups.

/Mats

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 5:36 am

Another thing, if someone questions a different idea it doesn't mean they're brainwashed, it means they're not yet convinced. It possibly means that they question mainstream media as well.

/Mats

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 6:17 am

I suspect many of us do a lot of research. I tend to look for several sources of information whenever something catches my interest. I don't spend hours agonizing over things I have no control over , as I learned that the emotion invested in these things makes me sick and I am helpless to change a thing. I accept the things I can not change and don't dwell on them. But I do try to use information from multiple sources for anything I am investing time, interests, emotions or other personal resources in. I think I have the autistic "build from the bottom and add bits of information until the whole picture emerges" trait. I like loads of information on any subject of interest before I form an opinion. Each of us will be different, most likely.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 11:13 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
...But brainwashed individuals are not natrually inquisitive but will attack others views if they are different and will defend their own views by launching the attack and feel that their "Rights" have been violated...

...But when those of us who do think differently can find ourselves under attack from those who unknowingly are, and those who are attacking mistakingly think they are victims themselves and are defending "Their rights".

What people are you talking about? It suspiciously seems like you are talking about POC, trans and gay people and the people who defend them. That's the only people I've seen on here that are put into a position where they have to argue to defend their rights.

It's truly a shame that when people on this site don't give into the majority invalidating and belittling them they get told they are "brainwashed". You'd think autistic people would be more understanding and accepting of other ideas and ways of life, yet we have posts like this.