Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2021
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 52
Location: UK

09 Apr 2022, 3:03 pm

I'm still amazed how much my environment can affect me.

Less than an hour ago, I was at my parents' house, so convinced I was ill that I took a Covid test. My cheeks were flushed, my brain felt too big for my head, and I was really drowsy.

Now I'm home, in my PJs, I feel so much better. No longer flushed or hot, head feels better, and I'm not even as tired.

Is this the same for anyone else?


_________________
Officially diagnosed with ASD Oct. 2013
Interests: Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Arthur, education, names, geography, detective fiction, animals, especially dogs.


ThisTimelessMoment
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2021
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 249
Location: South Africa

09 Apr 2022, 4:21 pm

Oh Yes! On my own I feel a WHOLE lot safer that I do with other people. Safe space and the self care of making it for oneself is so important!


_________________
Ever onwards and upwards!


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,316
Location: Missouri

09 Apr 2022, 5:56 pm

KaleidoscopicMagpie wrote:
My cheeks were flushed, my brain felt too big for my head, and I was really drowsy.


That sounds a lot like what can happen to me when exposed to air fresheners, potpourri, candles, fabric softeners, colognes, perfumes, certain furniture polishes, and such.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


temp1234
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Joined: 9 Apr 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 494

10 Apr 2022, 2:35 am

Do you mean that your parents themselves make you feel sick or that your parents' house has some dust, bugs or some allergen that makes you have hay fever?

I do feel mentally exhausted when I'm surrounded by unkind people (most places) but don't get physical symptoms. I do get physical symptoms when I'm in a dusty environment. I tend to sneeze a lot and my eyes get teary.



Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,157

10 Apr 2022, 4:39 am

Yes

Sounds like you were experiencing heightened anxiety from being outside of your comfort zone. Flushing, brain fog and fatigue are common symptoms of such.



autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Gender: Female
Posts: 969
Location: Alpena MI

10 Apr 2022, 9:13 am

environment or the company you were keeping? as pointed out above, perhaps there is a lot of stress involved in visiting family? I did not understand for years how come I always got sick at family parties, all you described, plus nausea and headache, once it even went to my actually vomiting. I learned in therapy that it was because the ways I had learned to cope with family (please and appease) were so difficult for me to sustain for long, it was stress and distress from the effort to keep myself together when completely overwhelmed with expectations and demands of others in a place where I could not escape ( except that I could excuse myself for feeling sick and lock myself in a quiet dark room). I don't mean I deliberately made myself sick to escape, but that my overwhelm was so great that I was going into shutdown. Might want to keep track of when you feel sick like that. I did not connect the company and circumstances with it happening, so you are already way more aware than I was back then. Hope you sort it out and come up with accommodations. Best wishes


_________________
https://oldladywithautism.blog/

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson


HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 8,217
Location: Pacific Northwest

10 Apr 2022, 10:05 am

Now that I'm not with my mom and not constantly stressed out, half of the health issues I was having just went away after a few weeks. :?

It's nice not feeling like that 24/7 and worrying if something is going to happen to me due to it.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also have a rabbit, and enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.


KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2021
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 52
Location: UK

10 Apr 2022, 12:05 pm

temp1234 wrote:
Do you mean that your parents themselves make you feel sick or that your parents' house has some dust, bugs or some allergen that makes you have hay fever?

I do feel mentally exhausted when I'm surrounded by unkind people (most places) but don't get physical symptoms. I do get physical symptoms when I'm in a dusty environment. I tend to sneeze a lot and my eyes get teary.


I don't think it's allergens, more like stimulation. They have lots of bright lights, the TV is always on, it's open plan so there are often noises from the dishwasher, fridge, plates and pans clanging etc. I also feel either too hot or too cold there most of the time.

As for my parents making me ill... I feel allergic to my mother sometimes.


_________________
Officially diagnosed with ASD Oct. 2013
Interests: Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Arthur, education, names, geography, detective fiction, animals, especially dogs.


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,316
Location: Missouri

10 Apr 2022, 12:52 pm

KaleidoscopicMagpie wrote:
more like stimulation. They have lots of bright lights, the TV is always on, it's open plan so there are often noises from the dishwasher, fridge, plates and pans clanging etc.


Oh man, that's halfway to a nightmare. Give a person's body and being enough stress and all sorts of physical things can begin happening.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,937

10 Apr 2022, 12:55 pm

KaleidoscopicMagpie wrote:
I'm still amazed how much my environment can affect me.

Less than an hour ago, I was at my parents' house, so convinced I was ill that I took a Covid test. My cheeks were flushed, my brain felt too big for my head, and I was really drowsy.

Now I'm home, in my PJs, I feel so much better. No longer flushed or hot, head feels better, and I'm not even as tired.

Is this the same for anyone else?


Yes. Light and noise, especially. Temperature too. If I can manage these, other things are easier. Even interaction is a little easier.