Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 7:59 pm

flamingshorts wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Apologies, wasn't my intention to debate whether he was autistic or not. The point is he went from a brazen QAnon warrior to a crying lump in court who insisted he should have organic food in jail, be protected from other prisoners and be given special dispensation for a (unconfirmed) autism diagnosis.

Well he is an actor.

Yes, every event that happens only happens because they make it happen with crisis actors.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 8:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I'd expect autistic prisoners needs to be accommodated just like any other disabled prisoners. I don't think keeping someone on the verge of a meltdown for years on end helps anyone, regardless of what that person has done. How does that person ever get returned to society?

You are assuming that based on the premise prisons are designed to rehabilitate.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 9:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'd expect autistic prisoners needs to be accommodated just like any other disabled prisoners. I don't think keeping someone on the verge of a meltdown for years on end helps anyone, regardless of what that person has done. How does that person ever get returned to society?

You are assuming that based on the premise prisons are designed to rehabilitate.

If they're only intended to break people further they need abolished, the only way they can be excused is if the goal is to ensure those who enter the system are able to be returned afterwards. If no effort is made to rehabilitate people why not just put them out of their misery?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 9:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If no effort is made to rehabilitate people why not just put them out of their misery?

Ostensibly prisons are supposed to operate to rehabilitate, Effectively they operate to punish. The type of people attracted to positions as prison guards tend to be sadistic/psychopathic who make things worse.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 9:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
If no effort is made to rehabilitate people why not just put them out of their misery?

Ostensibly prisons are supposed to operate to rehabilitate, Effectively they operate to punish. The type of people attracted to positions as prison guards tend to be sadistic/psychopathic who make things worse.

It sounds like we both understand that's a problem, but if it's a problem it ought not be defended even if the person being harmed by those problems is disagreeable.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 10:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It sounds like we both understand that's a problem, but if it's a problem it ought not be defended even if the person being harmed by those problems is disagreeable.

QAnon shaman? I suppose we don't want to see him harmed, but he's certainly going to be a prize target for fellow inmates and guards.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

QAnon shaman? I suppose we don't want to see him harmed, but he's certainly going to be a prize target for fellow inmates and guards.

Between that and the mental health issues it's probably appropriate to consider directing him towards suitable care, even if suitable care at first is a hospital that resembles a prison.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 10:34 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
"Burke believed his tablet device was sending him signals from QAnon members". In other words he wasn't QAnon and nobody from QAnon was sending him messages.

Or, it might mean people who are part of QAnon are crazy nutbars. Which is what the rest of us have long known.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 12:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Between that and the mental health issues it's probably appropriate to consider directing him towards suitable care, even if suitable care at first is a hospital that resembles a prison.

I'd be open to that, although shouldn't he pay for the consequences of his action in prison first.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 8:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:
flamingshorts wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Apologies, wasn't my intention to debate whether he was autistic or not. The point is he went from a brazen QAnon warrior to a crying lump in court who insisted he should have organic food in jail, be protected from other prisoners and be given special dispensation for a (unconfirmed) autism diagnosis.
Well he is an actor.
Yes, every event that happens only happens because they make it happen with crisis actors.

No, that is just what they want you to think.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 9:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'd be open to that, although shouldn't he pay for the consequences of his action in prison first.

Not if you're actually open to accepting that people who have developmental and/or mental health issues deserve support and understanding and that even if support and understanding involves significant consequences it needs to be done with their well-being as a primary consideration.

Well, we get that you're sick and need help but we need to hurt you for years first because you need to suffer despite us already acknowledging that a combination of legitimate medical concerns impaired your judgment and were substantial contributing factors.

No, I think removing him from society to proper care qualifies as adequate consequences. I don't believe it does anyone any good to throw people who demonstrate a strong tendency towards delusional thinking into general population. I don't think it does any good to throw autistics into a situation where they'll spend several years on the verge of meltdown.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う