Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 4:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
"Burke believed his tablet device was sending him signals from QAnon members". In other words he wasn't QAnon and nobody from QAnon was sending him messages.

No True Q-Anon? :lol:

Exhibit A

He was really brave and led the charge until he had to face court then he broke down and claimed he was autistic
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/q ... cna1267920

He used every trick his lawyers could come up with

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:01 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Exhibit A

He was really brave and led the charge until he had to face court then he broke down and claimed he was autistic

After being photographed taking part in the storming of the Capitol, Angeli was arrested on January 9 on federal charges of "knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority, and with violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds".  He pleaded guilty to a single charge in September 2021, and was sentenced to three and a half years, or 41 months, in prison in November 2021.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
"Burke believed his tablet device was sending him signals from QAnon members". In other words he wasn't QAnon and nobody from QAnon was sending him messages.

Exhibit A

I'm not sure why the idea that he's autistic is treated so dismissively by some, and if it's true mentioning it isn't a trick, it's closer to an obligation.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:52 pm

Leaving behind the self-styled shaman for a moment ... IF a member of QAnon did actually tell the man his wife was CIA, then wouldn't that actual QAnon member be guilty, at least, of some version of conspiracy to commit murder?

I wonder if that is being investigated. Or maybe not, given that the article says "Burke also believed that his wife was in fact Joe Biden’s son who had undergone a sex change." Not sounding like a targeted, direct message to me ...

Someone in that group needs to held to account for the seeds they've planted.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 6:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Exhibit A

I'm not sure why the idea that he's autistic is treated so dismissively by some, and if it's true mentioning it isn't a trick, it's closer to an obligation.

Why should it NOT be dismissed. Its obvious BS. BS in the sense that lawyers are just using it as desperate trick. BS in the sense that there is no obvious evidence to us in the public of his being autistic. And even it it turned out that he is autistic. so what? What would that have to do with anything? I am dxd as aspie so...does that impair my judgement as to what is right and wrong?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 6:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Exhibit A

Why should it NOT be dismissed. Its obvious BS. BS in the sense that lawyers are just using it as desperate trick. BS in the sense that there is no obvious evidence to us in the public of his being autistic. And even it it turned out that he is autistic. so what? What would that have to do with anything? I am dxd as aspie so...does that impair my judgement as to what is right and wrong?

If you're insisting he's not autistic I think you need evidence beyond it being your personal and uninformed opinion - especially if the person is question has been professionally diagnosed and that diagnosis is being discussed in court.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 7:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Exhibit A

If you're insisting he's not autistic I think you need evidence beyond it being your personal and uninformed opinion - especially if the person is question has been professionally diagnosed and that diagnosis is being discussed in court.

My bad.
I am not up on his trial. If a shrink officially dxd him as autistic then - thats a good reason to think that he is autistic.

But then there is the next question. What would his autism have to do with it?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 7:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But then there is the next question. What would his autism have to do with it?

A defence attorney ought to feel an obligation to present everything that's relevant when assessing responsibility, neurodevelopmental disorders like autism seem obviously relevant when considering responsibility.

Even if you don't personally believe that your autism would ever be relevant when considering the soundness of your judgments that doesn't mean that's universal among people with autism.

Further, the combination of autism and additional mental illnesses can act as multipliers on each other, in particular if one adopts a special interest that fuels delusional thoughts and actions based on those delusions. This absolutely ought to be considered because someone who's significantly out of touch with reality has had their ability to form sound judgments impaired by their mental state. In this scenario autism isn't directly causing the reduction in responsibility, instead autism only makes one more vulnerable to ending up in a state where responsibility is impaired.

Further, reduced responsibility doesn't mean no responsibility at all. It just means taking an approach that acknowledges additional concerns compared to a generic defendant. It might mean making medication or counselling a requirement. It might mean directing towards custody other than prison.

Accommodating autism even when responsibility isn't impaired might also be reasonable, especially if it's something relatively minor like choosing one housing facility over another that might be more harmful to the accused.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2022, 11:16 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 11:47 pm

Pass the Qool-aid brah.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 3:00 am

flamingshorts wrote:

Every family has one...I probably do as well

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 3:03 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Exhibit A

Apologies, wasn't my intention to debate whether he was autistic or not. The point is he went from a brazen QAnon warrior to a crying lump in court who insisted he should have organic food in jail, be protected from other prisoners and be given special dispensation for a (unconfirmed) autism diagnosis.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2022, 4:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Apologies, wasn't my intention to debate whether he was autistic or not. The point is he went from a brazen QAnon warrior to a crying lump in court who insisted he should have organic food in jail, be protected from other prisoners and be given special dispensation for a (unconfirmed) autism diagnosis.

Well he is an actor.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 6:37 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One does not have to be a card-carrying member to come under QAnon's influence.

Oh I see. Folks have a thing about QAnon (which I know little about) and I'm being a turd in the punch bowl. Sorry about that.

I agree this is about mental illness , and it is tragic. not actually anything to do with political groups or pet dogs at all. Joining you in the punch bowl, I guess.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 7:07 pm

Since Trump was voted out QAnon support in the US has increased from 12 to 17% of the population

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... tudy-finds

This accounts for 56 million Americans and according to trends is growing,

This makes QAnon bigger than most religions in the US

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 7:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I feel like that would be expected if a person went from acting on delusions that caused them to feel their actions were reasonable and justified to realizing they were f*****g nuts and had ruined the rest of their life as a result.

I'd expect autistic prisoners needs to be accommodated just like any other disabled prisoners. I don't think keeping someone on the verge of a meltdown for years on end helps anyone, regardless of what that person has done. How does that person ever get returned to society?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a justice system focusing on delivering actual justice and ensuring the people it interacts with are returned to society in better condition than they entered that justice system. That means treating every single prisoner like a human being who's deserving of dignity rather than building a system where prisoners are exploited as labour, abused by guards and fellow prisoners and returned to society ever worse than when they arrived, supposing they even survive.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う