Yes - other 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Yes - rather not say 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2022, 12:35 pm

Is autism frequently co-morbid with disordered eating?

I know quite a few have sensory issues with food, but does disordered eating come from being autistic or is it a coping mechanism?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 9:26 pm

I had food sensitivities when i was a Child and couldn't eat food with certain textures, smells etc. I still can't eat most types of cheese.

Aside from that anxiety often makes me nauseaous to the point i can't stomach anything and for a while i lost a lot of weight.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:09 am

I punish myself sometimes by eating large amounts of anything I like in one go. For example, I may push large amounts of cheese and salami into my mouth to finish it in one minute. I would normally take half an hour to finish all of them. In this way, I don't taste or enjoy cheese and salami and have nothing left to enjoy afterwards. I do the same with other delicious foods/drinks. The point is that I don't enjoy my favorite food and have nothing left for later, which is a big punishment for me. The punishment is, for example, for dropping something on the floor, being late for something, forgetting to do something etc. I believe this counts as binge eating.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 8:26 am

I barely feel full and hungry. I only realize them when my stomach starts to hurt.
I overeat because of anxiety. And forget to eat because of too much concentration.
All in all, it's not good for the stomach.

Vegetables are my challenge.
I don't eat most "cooked" vegetables. They have a special stink to me.
I only choose a few raw vegetables and eat very little.
My mother therefore suspected that sooner or later I would suffer from a serious disease. :(

The 'skinned wolf' is actually a type of fish

Find communicators about interests please PM me

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 9:39 am

I was never officially dx'd with ARFID, but for years I certainly met the criteria. A lot of my issues were fueled by a fear of getting sick after eating. I used to have digestive issues, so every time I ate something that made me sick as a child, I'd never eat it again. That went on into my teens and by the time I was in my twenties, I only ate about five or six things. Everything else, total fear food.

These days, I am a lot better about it, but I do have sensory issues and still refuse to eat a lot of things due to smell or feel. I just consider myself a picky eater these days, but not in a way that is problematic to my health and wellbeing or anything.