Please help me with a project to retrain the crisis system

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 2:50 pm

Hey everyone. I am on Autism Society of America's panel of Autistic advisors. Last year I asked that we start a committee to retrain the suicide/crisis intervention system in the US to make it more appropriate for Autistic and other disabled people. I asked for this because of my multiple terrible personal experiences in having dealt with that system as a person in crisis.

This committee /task force has been meeting regularly for almost a year now and we have reached out to and are working directly with groups in the crisis intervention system in order to create new guidelines and curricula for Autism /disability crisis training. But we need help and feedback from the Autistic and disabled community so we have put together a survey that will help us get the information we need to start developing new training strategies and curricula. We need as many of you to participate as possible so that we can get enough data to make a real difference.

The only requirements are that you must live in the US and that you are an adult. We encourage Autistic people of ALL levels of needs of support and of ALL "functioning levels" to participate even if you have a caretaker that will help you complete the survey. I apologize that we can only accept participants from the US for now. We hope that once we create a good program here, we will be able to reach out to other countries as well. Feel free to pm me if you have questions you would prefer to keep private. Thank you so much. Here is the link to the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AutismCrisisSurvey

Wreck It Ralph

SendInTheClowns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2022, 6:42 pm

You're commitment and work is so valuable. I appreciate both and hope WP members will support it. I know how lonely and exhausting activism and advocacy can be.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 3:57 am

SendInTheClowns wrote:
You're commitment and work is so valuable. I appreciate both and hope WP members will support it. I know how lonely and exhausting activism and advocacy can be.
Thank you so much! :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 8:16 am

So many of the questions had no appropriate answer for me that I finally gave up on the survey.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 9:03 am

skibum wrote:
The only requirements are that you must live in the US and that you are an adult. We encourage Autistic people of ALL levels of needs of support and of ALL "functioning levels" to participate even if you have a caretaker that will help you complete the survey.
But the instructions at the beginning of the survey say:
Quote:
This survey is intended for adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) who have experienced a significant emotional or mental health crisis.
If an adult on the Autism Spectrum lives in the U.S. but has not experienced a significant emotional or mental health crisis should they take the survey? (Sure, I've had bad days.  I've had bad years.  But it never reached "crisis".)

Oh, and some might wonder whether you only want adults who have been formally diagnosed as being Autistic.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 10:17 am

Fnord wrote:
So many of the questions had no appropriate answer for me that I finally gave up on the survey.

I am sorry Fnord. Some of those questions were actually written by me. I will definitely let the committee know your feedback. Thank you so much for trying though. I really appreciate it very much.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 10:30 am

Double Retired, WP is not allowing me to quote your post.

Go ahead and do the survey. It will ask if you have had such experiences and will respond accordingly like a flow chart.

And there is a comment box at the end. You can say whether you are officially or self diagnosed if you like. We want to hear from as many in the community as possible and we understand that not everyone has access to, or financial means for an official diagnosis. Thank you so much for particiating.

Wreck It Ralph