Alabama principal on leave for excessive paddling and more

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 4:09 pm

Alabama principal on leave for excessive paddling, threatening to ‘throat punch’ autistic student

Quote:
he Hazlewood Elementary School principal, hired there after her contract at Decatur City Schools was not renewed, is on administrative leave due to allegations that include excessive paddling of a student and comments made about an autistic student, according to personnel records.

Datie Priest, hired as the school’s principal in July 2020, received a written reprimand on March 23 from Lawrence County Superintendent Jon Bret Smith about the accusations against her.

In the reprimand letter dated March 17, Smith detailed the paddling of a Hazlewood Elementary third grader on March 4, which led to her being placed on detached duty on March 11.

The letter reads in part, “You are expected to follow board policies and procedures. Moreover, you are expected to discipline students in accordance with board policy and without endangering their health and welfare. Your recent actions are not in keeping with these expectations.

“On March 4, 2022, you paddled a third-grader on two occasions. Ten licks or more were administered during the first paddling and five licks were administered during the second paddling.”

According to the reprimand letter, Priest acknowledged the paddling incident to supervisors and then to Smith on March 11 and March 14.

“On both March 11 and March 14, you stated the student was ‘given a choice of two licks by his teacher or ten by me, and it’s my personal belief that he would not take a paddling by a white teacher.’ You also stated, ‘I did not think he would choose ten licks,’” Smith wrote.

The child never received a written disciplinary slip documenting the paddling and “in fact, you could not recall who witnessed the second paddling when you were questioned on March 11,” Smith said in the letter.

Smith on Thursday said “generally three licks” was the maximum allowed.

Smith also cited an episode in which two Hazlewood employees recently witnessed an autistic student bumping into Priest.

Your clock-in times show you arrive between 45 minutes and an hour late most days,” Smith wrote. “It has also been reported that you leave every day before 4 p.m., which is before the buses have a chance to complete their route.”

Smith also questioned Priest’s handling of school money.

Priest allegedly directed the bookkeeper to withhold funds paid by students for snacks and sundries and to use the cash to purchase more such items to be sold to the students, according to Smith. He said the funds should instead have been deposited into a school account and a check issued to the vendor.

Smith on Friday said Priest, who has an annual salary of $91,800, continues to be paid. " Dr. Priest’s contract ends June 30. She is on admin leave and she is still employed and still being paid.”

District 1 school board member Christine Garner and Lawrence County Chapter of NAACP Vice President Bobby Diggs said they feel the superintendent is biased in his treatment of Priest.

“She gets unfairly treated,” Garner said. “She could be a very good asset for the Lawrence County school system if she is allowed to run the school the way it needs to be managed. She needs the board’s support, and she’s not getting it. Dr. Smith needs to become more aware of what is going on at Hazlewood Elementary. I believe she is doing the best job she can. She’s very qualified.

“Some people think because she’s a Black woman, she can’t be a good principal. In Alabama, it’s hard for a Black woman to excel.”

Diggs said the NAACP recommended Priest for the job after Patrick Mullins left in 2020 after one year as Hazlewood principal.

bolding=mine
Three licks generally allowed? What is this 2022 or 1952?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 4:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
. . . What is this 2022 or 1952?
In Alabama, Christian Conservatism has kept such "Puritanical" practices since long before this country was founded.

You know . . . the kinds of practices that, if enforced in every state, would allegedly "Make America Great Again".

:roll: