Russia - Nukes in Baltic if Sweden, Finland Join NATO

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 6:02 am

Newsweek

Quote:
Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has warned that Sweden and Finland joining NATO could bring nuclear weapons to the Baltic

The close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin said the country would have "more officially registered adversaries" should Sweden and Finland join NATO.

If both countries join NATO the alliance would have another of its members sharing
a border spanning hundreds of miles with Russia.

Medvedev said: "If Sweden and Finland join NATO, the length of the land borders of the alliance with the Russian Federation will more than double. Naturally, these borders will have to be strengthened."

Sweden and Finland appear prepared to abandon decades of neutral foreign policy positions amid Russia's ongoing war with non-NATO member Ukraine.

Andersson told reporters: "In order to strengthen our security, discussions are going on in both our countries and Sanna will update me on the Finnish and I will give her an update on the discussions here in Sweden between the political parties in the Swedish parliament.

"We will continue our very close coordination and cooperation. It is also clear that we have to access different options and that no option is without risk."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Apr 2022, 6:20 am

Medvedev has already threatned to nuke Warsaw a few weeks ago.
The response of our president wasn't very political but to the point*.

Apparently, threatning everyone with nukes is Medvedev's current assignment.
That would make sense - he's internationally recognizable but Kremlin can easily deny any connections to what he's saying.

It's reasonable to be prepared but Kremlin knows perfectly well that in case of a real full scale SHTF, they are weaker. That's why they send Medvedev to bark about it, but they don't make any of it official.
_________
*Nie strasz, nie strasz...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 6:38 am

If Russia's goal in invading Ukraine was really to keep NATO out of the region, they've certainly done a bang-up job. /s So far they've managed to re-militarise Germany, they've scared Finland and Sweden into joining NATO, and I'd be amazed if Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia weren't considering NATO membership too.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Apr 2022, 6:43 am

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia joined NATO in 2004.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 7:22 am

magz wrote:
Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia joined NATO in 2004.

I did not know that! I imagine they are not regretting that decision right now.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 1:33 pm

Yahoo!, attributed to Business Insider: "Russia tries to scare Finland and Sweden away from NATO by…"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 7:21 am

Putin: "We hafta keep on terrifying them...until they stop being afraid of us!"

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 8:31 am

This is what you get when you have a man running a country who should be in the closed ward of a psych hospital. Nato's been around for over 70 years. It's given no indication during that time that it wants to attack Russia. Why would it want to? It would be a case of 'Oh we will all fry together when we fry.'

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 2:04 am

firemonkey wrote:
This is what you get when you have a man running a country who should be in the closed ward of a psych hospital. Nato's been around for over 70 years. It's given no indication during that time that it wants to attack Russia. Why would it want to? It would be a case of 'Oh we will all fry together when we fry.'
Which is proof that Putin's "concerns" about border security are fake, and that it's all clearly just a weak cover for his real motivation, which is expanding his dictatorship. :roll: