Applying for jobs online is impossible

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 4:07 pm

My boyfriend is on the hunt for another job, but every job he applies for wants him to apply online. He's not very computer savvy, and neither am I really, and whatever jobs he tries applying for are very complicated to apply for. One job sent him an email with a link for the application form, and he tapped it but his browser wouldn't support it, so he tapped an option to go straight to the appropriate browser that is installed on his phone and it directed him to it but then he couldn't get the application up. It just took him to the browser homepage.
Another job he applied for gave him a fairly simple application form but when he'd completed the first question there was literally no continue button to go on to the next page even though there were several more sections to complete. It wasn't in the options or anywhere, we looked up and down the page and no button to take us on to the next page. So we pressed the back button, which made him have to complete the whole first section again only to have this same trouble again.

Why is applying online so complicated? Why don't they just send an application form through the post? It's so much EASIER. I hate the internet, and he's never going to get a job at this rate. How do other people manage? I hate today's society. Sick of all this save the environment crap. The only thing that is destroying the environment for us humans is building more houses and offices on every piece of land they can find. And in any case, nature always grows back, no matter what. So stop using saving the environment as an excuse to force everyone to do everything online. How's he going to get a job if applying for jobs online is so damn impossible? How does everyone do it?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 5:22 pm

I agree with you. I never ha e applied for a job online and I do not get on with online forms. One of the reasons is I can't give yes or no answers to questions that have variable ways to reply to them or where my personal situation does not fit into the allocated boxes. Paperwork and one can simply miss a section out and write a separate thing to explain the circumstances. Online does not give this option.
I have had to have others do online forms for me because I can't reply.
Example.
First question.
Do I drink alcohol? Yes/No? Answer Yes.

Second question relating to the first.
How many units of alcohol do you drink in a week. Options. 1-2. 3-5. 6-10. 10+ Answer. (I can't click on any as I drink about 2 to 4 units if alcohol a year. Boxes to click start on 1 to 2 a week. I am not catered for so I can't move on to the next question so it is impossible for me to complete the online form! I can't say I don't drink alcohol as that would be a lie and one is not allowed to lie on online forms, so I cant complete the forms.
This is just ONE example of many where paper forms I can write an explanation if there is no box applicable, but online one can't do this as there is no option due to poorly designed software which assumes people fit in one box or another.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 5:28 pm

I think they should give people the option of applying online or on paper. Most people of my generation probably will choose to apply online, but people my boyfriend's age or older can find it hard to use the internet for application forms (my boyfriend is over 20 years older than me). I don't think everyone should be forced to apply online if they don't really use a computer much or aren't really computer smart. It adds more stress when looking for a job. My boyfriend is very willing to get a job but to the employer's it looks like he's uninterested because he hasn't filled in the application. He has had to phone companies before to tell them he couldn't get his head round the online form and they've had to explain what to do, but unfortunately it's still not always that easy.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 11:24 am

I think a good middle ground would be the option of applying with email. Extreme majority of first world people know how to use it, and those that don't are bound to know someone who can help. They could even write the application on paper and have someone else write the email if they didn't know how to write with a computer... though of course, no one who can't handle email can do office work these days, at least not in first world countries I'd say.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 10:03 pm

If your boyfriend is on benefits, he could ask the job centre to refer him to someone that could help him complete online job applications. I've had that kind of help myself via the jobcentre.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 12:18 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
If your boyfriend is on benefits, he could ask the job centre to refer him to someone that could help him complete online job applications. I've had that kind of help myself via the jobcentre.

He's not on any benefits at the moment, but he's hoping to find a job quickly before he will have to apply for benefits, as our savings aren't going to last forever. He was on benefits before his previous job (which he was made redundant, no fault of his own), and we had so much hassle with it that it puts you off being on benefits if you can help it. Being in a partnership, I had to claim the benefits too even though I'm working, and both our bank accounts were being watched. It isn't fair that you have to claim as well as your partner. I felt like I might as well be out of a job too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 2:28 pm

Do you have to be on benefits to receive assistance from the Job Centre?

Can't you just need help looking for a job?

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 10:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:

He's not on any benefits at the moment, but he's hoping to find a job quickly before he will have to apply for benefits, as our savings aren't going to last forever. He was on benefits before his previous job (which he was made redundant, no fault of his own), and we had so much hassle with it that it puts you off being on benefits if you can help it. Being in a partnership, I had to claim the benefits too even though I'm working, and both our bank accounts were being watched. It isn't fair that you have to claim as well as your partner. I felt like I might as well be out of a job too.

He could apply for new style JSA (if eligible, it's paid for up to 6 months ) which is contribution based and they don't take into account any savings. It's not like UC, so you won't need to apply too. I think it's worth applying for while he's looking for work - even if it is short-term. Then he could make use of the resources available to help with job applications.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 11:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you have to be on benefits to receive assistance from the Job Centre?

Can't you just need help looking for a job?

As far as I'm aware, yes. But there may be local services available that allow you to self refer for help with things such as CVs, job applications, interviews etc. This information can be obtained via the jobcentre.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:48 am

When you don't have the latest browser installed buttons sometimes don't work and don't appear.
Are you using chrome browser?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 2:03 am

I think they do it on purpose. It's like they're putting intelligence test puzzles into their online job application forms.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2022, 10:43 am

I honestly wouldn't rely on a phone to be compatible with employment links/forms. Employment stuff tends to use old versions of things. Phone browsers tend to be... well, not as comprehensive as computer ones.

I'd advise sticking with using a computer to view/use them, even if it's one at the local library. Or see if the job ad has an email or phone contact. Or even just ring the company, ask for HR, and then ask to talk to someone about ways to apply for the job because the online application isn't working properly.