Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 9:29 am

For many in the Jewish community, so-called "Christian Seders" are "100% cultural appropriation"

Quote:
Sunday, an image began circulating on social media of a challah loaf that had been braided into the shape of a cross. It was the centerpiece of a "modified Seder meal" that had been hosted by Carly Friesen, a Christian lifestyle coach, who served it alongside roast lamb, a lemon poppyseed cake and what appeared to be a Caesar salad topped with toasted croutons.

"Today we celebrated Passover in our own way for the first time as a family," Friesen wrote in an since-deleted Instagram post about the meal. "We had a modified Seder meal to start with a reading of the first Passover and recognizing Jesus as the final Passover lamb sacrificed for us."

Once the image hit Twitter, it quickly went viral. In part, it was because so much of Friesen's meal contained yeast. During Passover, Jews refrain from eating chametz, which is traditionally anything that contains barley, wheat, rye, oats, and spelt and is not cooked within 18 minutes after coming in contact with water. No leavening — like the kind used for the challah, cake and croutons — is allowed.

It's also customary to clean all the chametz out of one's house, by either cleansing the house, boarding up pantries or selling the grains to their non-Jewish neighbors to buy it back at the end of the holiday. "The ONE F**KING DAY your bread isn't supposed to have yeast in it, and the Evangelicals can't even get that right for their LARP," one Twitter user responded with an eyeroll emoji.

Although Jewish food writer Dina Cheney could understand the general appeal of Seder as a way of commemorating an escape from oppression, she points out that its celebration is tied to a unique experience. "The Seder is really about the Jewish experience — specifically the Jewish people's liberation from slavery in ancient Egypt," she wrote to Salon via email.

"The ritual foods and prayers that encompass it are also specific to that history; for instance, the haroset (fruit and nut paste) represents the mortar used by the (Jewish) slaves as they labored," she added. "So, overall, I would say it's strange for anyone who is not Jewish to conduct a Seder. Instead, I think it would make more sense for them to devise a ritualistic meal that speaks to their own cultural experience."

Robbie Medwed is a Jewish day school instructor who lives in Atlanta. He said that he finds the adapted celebrations to be "100% cultural appropriation" because Christians' celebrations of the Seder are ahistorical.

"The Seder itself is an event that didn't come into being until after Jesus died, so Jesus never participated in a Passover Seder,"

Most of the rituals that we know of from today's Seder were invented long after Jesus was ever even alive," Medwed said. "So, the main thing is that it's taking something that is now entirely Jewish without any Christian roots whatsoever — or any joint roots — and it's completely changing its meaning. I've seen a lot of people who turn the idea of the Passover sacrifice of the lamb and say, 'That's actually Jesus.' And when you take a Jewish symbol and completely transform it like that, it becomes incredibly offensive."

Many Christian seders also shift the meaning of other traditional elements of the meal. The unleavened matzo, for example, is reimagined as the body of Christ, which is traditionally represented through leavened bread during the Eucharist.

Medwed feels like social media has definitely contributed to the spread of the Christian Seders. There's of a growing number of Evangelical lifestyle influencers on social media who share curated images of their celebrations as content.

According to Kendall Vanderslice, a food historian who specifically studies the history of church meals, the practice of Christian Seders often largely emerge in Evangelical spaces where some of the liturgical rituals associated with traditional Christianity — feast days, for instance — aren't necessarily part of their faith practice.

"I think there is a longing for some kind of connection or tradition or tethering, which I think is a sort of very human longing, especially right now," Vanderslice said. "

Vanderslice said that, for some, there's also ignorance of how deeply Christianity has been used to harm Jewish people; while she doesn't believe that many of the Christians who are hosting these celebrations do so malevolently, "they're just totally overlooking 2,000 years of harm that's been done and shifts that have happened in both religions."

She said that looking back on it now, she feels a deep amount of "cringiness," especially because she went on to work as the assistant director of her town's Jewish Family Services.

Attending as a guest to a Jewish Seder is a vastly different experience from the people who are trying to replicate the tradition and assign their own meaning to it.

"I think that the desire to be interested in other cultures is not wrong," she said. "I just think that the way that people are going about it is very wrong."

Please do not host a “Christian seder”
Quote:
It’s time to discuss the “Christian seder.” If you are having one this year, or are thinking about doing one next year, here are some helpful tips from Jewish practice: Don’t.

Please, we are begging you, don’t do it.

I’m not suggesting you not attend a seder if your Jewish friend invites you; take that as a big compliment and be a good guest.

But please don’t host your own, especially if you are trying to emulate Jesus or find parallels between Jewish ritual and Messianic Christianity.

There is a trend among Christians — mostly but not exclusively Protestants — towards observing Jewish ritual in general and the seder in particular.

One manifestation of this movement is the “Christian seder, ” a seder held by non-Jews, often inserting references to Jesus or Christian doctrine into the Haggadah.

I used to dismiss Christian seders as a curiosity, a funny thing some gentiles did

Now, however, they have become too common to ignore. With the Hebrew Roots practices in general and Christian seders in particular, a closer look past the veneer of appreciation for Judaism reveals something much more troubling: a superficial philo-Semitism that is inherently anti-Semitic, relying on pernicious ideas about Jews, whether its adherents admit it (or even realize it) or not. Those who engage in these practices don’t really care what Jews have to say; at the very least, are unaware that they should care what Jews have to say. There is no interest in our complaints that it can be very painful to watch Christians appropriate our holidays, because of the long history of pogroms tied to Jewish observance and the even longer history of Christian mockery of our customs. There is even less interest in the history of violence against Jews around Passover specifically, because of the blood libel, or the violence traditionally directed at Jews around Easter and Holy Week (and thus Passover) because of the accusation of Jewish deicide.

Play-acting in Jewish ritual space, in aid of a different religion, is a totemic fetishization of Jews. Even with the best of intentions, it is dehumanizing; basic decency, to say nothing of manners, means they should knock it off.

As they say “imitation is a form of flattery”. As always it depends on how it is done and the intent. For the most part at worst it is tacky, not offensive. Pretty much everybody “borrows” from others and adjusts it to suit there purposes. In fact the seder is a “cultural appropriation” from the Greco-Romans.

With hate crimes on the and Jews the main target we have more important things to worry about.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 9:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Are “Christian Seders” offensive?
To whom, a bunch of traditionalists who would never consider inviting us "trefe" Christians into their homes for Seder?

This is like scientists getting offended if I tutor students on evolution, or "Pagans" getting offended if I throw a Hallowe'en party.

If my wife and I want to hold a Seder-like service in our own home on Maundy Thursday, that is nobody's business but our own and those whom we invite.

It is NOT cultural appropriation; it is seeking a deeper meaning to what we already believe.

Nobody "owns" Passover.

For more information about Passover, its customs and traditions, please visit any of the websites below that will have appropriate material that can enhance one's Seder.

Union for Reform Judaism 

Orthodox Union 

Chabad 

Free Haggadah PDF 

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 2:43 pm

As Long as i've Lived Now, Close to 62 Years, the Amount
of Freedoms We Have in the United States For Freedom of

FULLEST Expressions is Beyond Beliefs of Before, Literally So As We

Have the Opportunities to 'Pick From the Dishes' Cross-Culturally Across

The Globe Both to Observe and Do in Ways Never afforded in Human History Before...

i for one, Take Full Advantage of All That is Offered and It's True no one owns Good Friday,
PassOver, Or Rainbows; Anymore, Than A Pink April Full Moon Over The Bay to Paradise of the

Emerald Green Gulf Coast;

A Place Where i Spent the

Afternoon to Evening With

An Uncle Who Got Rich Enough
Enlisting in the Air Force, Then Selling
Vacuum Cleaners At Sears, Then Franchising

Vacuum Centers; Yep, Rich Enough to Own A Home
With No Loan Over 2 MiLLioN Dollars Worth in Perhaps

(True Though, He Doesn't Go Into Lowe's And Home Depot To Return
Garden Products And Is Reminded Again By Most Lovely Customer
Service Representatives of How He Is Legend for Over 8 Years
in FaceBook Groups And Such for 16,466 Miles of Public Dance; Yet Hey,

We All Gotta Start Somewhere; Even At Close to 78, i Still See A Dance For Him Free too;

After All my Uncle, my Father's Identical Twin, Was Dancing With Elder Ladies at age
84, While His Wife of the Same Age, Played Piano in a Country Music Band in Florida too;

And His Son Close to 60, Still Plays in Bands on The Emerald Green Gulf Coast As 'Elvis'
And Part of the "Blues Brother's" too As Far As the Pavilion On Pensacola Beach; Yep,

All Arts, A Huge Part of Paradise Eden Living Within For Real As Expressed Freely Now)

A Most Spectacular View of Sunrises Across A Bay And Gulf in the World...

This is An American Dream Fulfilled, Separations of Church and State, Where No
One Owns

God Yet

Free If One
Actually Practices
The Potential to the
Full Extent Afforded Now Here...

It's Not Surprising, Folks From Other
Countries Rise to the Top of their Chosen
Vocations/Fields And Spend A Decade Arriving Here

Now For Freedoms of Newer Generations; How Sad It is
When Folks Who Live Here Never Come Close to Reaching

Their Potentials

For The Freedom

We aRe Born into Now

to Either Inherit it Rich on the Outside

Or Beyond Measure Within as my Modest

View to A Forest Garden of Eden 'Trumps'
An Emerald Green Coast In A 2 MiLLioN
Dollar Sunrise
View There...

For me;

Freedom to Value
What We Choose to Value Most or None;

Freedom to Choose From the Buffets
of Tradition, Already Here/THere And
Still Freedom Come To Wings New; Yes,

With Least Among Human And Other
Earth Resources Consumed too; Yep,

We Ate at the Top Rated Restaurant
In The 'Safe Harbor View' And

my HomeCooking Wife Chef

Was Simply Not Impressed;

Yep, 62 Dollar Rib Eye Steaks

And 6 Oysters Fried

to Burnt

And Over

Salty Tastes...

Meanwhile, the Crowd
Was Doing THeiR Best to
Keep Their Illusions of Lofty Status

While Seagulls Flew Over Free Crapping on the Roof With Ease...

Nah, Rather Be Naked, Enough, Whole, And Complete in REAL Eden Free
in Play Slaying All Fear...

Inhaling Peace
Exhaling Love
Just All Free in 'Wu Wei Ease' to Coin A Phrase
After The Fact of Doing Heaven Within Always

New and NoW iN Flow of Paradise FREE...

Anyway, the Walk out on Their Pier
The Length of a Football Field or So, With
The Pink Full April Moon Glimmering on
the Bay With The Emerald Grand Hotel in the
Distance Reflecting Paradise There Worth A Photo to

Remember

at Least...

And This
is Art of my
Free Religion;

Yes, God Breathes
Free Within and No
One Owns me Naked,
Enough, Whole And Complete

Except the

me Who
Breathes
Free All
Natural (GoD) Within;

Nah, No Sweat Over
Copy Rights For This Finger Print of God..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 15 Apr 2022, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 3:47 pm

I'd be more concerned if they managed to ban the new ritual, and that's coming from somebody who barely values rituals at all.

I don't like hurting innocent people's feelings, but if they're going to take offense at the slightest little thing like that and to lobby for shutting it down, then it's oppressive of them.

"I used to dismiss Christian seders as a curiosity, a funny thing some gentiles did"

Translation: My ritual is sacred, your ritual is laughable.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 4:42 pm

'Religion Wagging Contests'...

(Note: Real Sarcasm too)

It's Another 'Patriarchal

Toxic Religious Meme;'

True Though, Only Technically
Speaking, my Personal EPiC Long
Form Poem is The Biggest of 'THeM'
All HiSToRiCaLLY SPeaKinG according

to Google At Least, 'my Bible'

is the Biggest of Them All,

Ever Now, HAha; Yep, Pull
Out the Ruler and Measure
iT; All 10.4 MiLLioN Words

Coming on 4.18.2022

For Real; And Sure,

Technically Yes,
The Distance of
my Public Dance too;

All 16,466 Miles in Close to 8 Years and 8 Months, True;

Perhaps, Even Longer Than 'Joe The Dancing Guy From
New York' as He Started A Year Earlier than me in 2012;

They Have a 'Naked Guitar Man' Up There too; Yet That's
Another Competition As Well that i Sort of Excel in Too;

Unlike 'King David'
And That Guitar
Dude, no

'Loin Clothes' Required for me...

Like 'Old Isaiah' Trekking Through Ethiopia; Yet Much Longer
Than 3 Three Whole Years; Yep, Close to 8 Years and 8 Months too...

Yep, Left "Forrest Gump" in Mileage ACross the United States for Running Long Ago,
Dancing in Public; Much More Complex And Demanding As Well to Meet Customer Demands;
Particularly Smiles With the Most Lovely Women in the Metro Area, Counting Over 2000 Selfie Pics True too...

Meh, 'He' Was Only

Fictional, Like Most
of the Characters in
That Tiny Antiquated Dusty Bible; Life is Cooler When it's Verily Real For Sure...

Other Than That and This, Good Friday Never Ends for me, For Real; And Just
A Suggestion; THiS AiN'T No April Fool's Joke, When Groups of People Get Together

Doing MaGiC Spells For REAL

iNCaNTaTiONS DO Come True; Be Careful; Be Very Careful As Dreams Do Come True...

True, i Never Really Die Now; i'm Worth Much MoRE ALiVE, iN my Opinion At Least...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 6:30 pm

I draw a blank. Dont know what I think.

On one hand Christians cant even celebrate Easter without "appropriating" Pagan fertility symbols like rabbits and eggs. So going the opposite way, and reaffirming Christianity's Jewish roots by celebrating an Old Testament event by copying the seder ritual seems like a lesser act of pilferage.

On the other hand when our next door Jewish neighbors invited us, and everyone (Gentile and Jewish), for a seder conducted by the family patriarch it was a quite moving ritual. And for precisely that reason the thought of some WASP Gentile yahoo trying to conduct the same ritual does strike me as kinda tacky.

Christians think its blasphemy to add a third testament to the Bible (ie the "Book of Mormon"). But then Jews think its blasphemy to add a second testament (the New Testament).

Wonder what the Pope has to say about Christian seders. Maybe the Pope should stop wearing that white yamaka.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:40 pm

Well I am a Christian who celebrates a version of Christian Seders called the Lord's Supper every first day of the week and I dont believe in Easter.I will take communion every week till my death regardless of what people think about it.Communion or the Eucharist or what have you is essentially a Christian Seder.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:47 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well I am a Christian who celebrates a version of Christian Seders called the Lord's Supper every first day of the week and I dont believe in Easter.I will take communion every week till my death regardless of what people think about it.Communion or the Eucharist or what have you is essentially a Christian Seder.

You can claim that its roughly equivalent to the seder. But its not a seder. you're partaking of the flesh and blood of Christ. Not reliving the exodus from Egypt in the Old Testament.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 8:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

You can claim that its roughly equivalent to the seder. But its not a seder. you're partaking of the flesh and blood of Christ. Not reliving the exodus from Egypt in the Old Testament.

I am not saying its a literal seder but the First Communion was part of a passover seder.I dont believe I am eating the body of Christ or drinking His blood.I just think that they are merely symbols of the body and blood.I have never celebrated Passover and never will.Celebrating the Passover is a sin in my religion.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 12:23 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I'd be more concerned if they managed to ban the new ritual, and that's coming from somebody who barely values rituals at all.

I don't like hurting innocent people's feelings, but if they're going to take offense at the slightest little thing like that and to lobby for shutting it down, then it's oppressive of them.

"I used to dismiss Christian seders as a curiosity, a funny thing some gentiles did"

Translation: My ritual is sacred, your ritual is laughable.

More accurately: My ritual is a tradition, your ritual is an imitation of my traditions.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 12:37 am

funeralxempire wrote:
More accurately: My ritual is a tradition, your ritual is an imitation of my traditions.

I wonder how many times a group has to repeat a ritual before it becomes a protected activity enshrined with a performance copyright? To my mind it's all simply behaviour, which, if it must be judged at all, is probably best judged on its own merits. Whether or not it's been copied from others or done since somebody's great-great-grandfather's time doesn't make it particularly silly or sacred. But then, I never did understand ritual behaviour. If it does no actual harm, I don't stand in its way and I might even take part if it makes the ritualists happy, but if it does actual harm then I'd rather boycott it or try to get it stopped.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 12:47 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I wonder how many times a group has to repeat a ritual before it becomes a protected activity enshrined with a performance copyright? To my mind it's all simply behaviour, which, if it must be judged at all, is probably best judged on its own merits. Whether or not it's been copied from others or done since somebody's great-great-grandfather's time doesn't make it particularly silly or sacred. But then, I never did understand ritual behaviour. If it does no actual harm, I don't stand in its way and I might even take part if it makes the ritualists happy, but if it does actual harm then I'd rather boycott it or try to get it stopped.

I think a significant amount of the offence comes from feeling your sacred traditions are being mocked. While like you I don't particular get rituals, I can at least apply empathy to understand what causes some people to become upset.

That mindset isn't just limited to religious ritual, it's a big part of what drives the concept of a poseur.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 1:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I think a significant amount of the offence comes from feeling your sacred traditions are being mocked. While like you I don't particular get rituals, I can at least apply empathy to understand what causes some people to become upset.

That mindset isn't just limited to religious ritual, it's a big part of what drives the concept of a poseur.

For me it gets questionable when people seek to shut down those who seem to be mocking their ways. True, it's not limited to religious ritual. Just that for me religion doesn't laugh at itself enough. I think institutions can take themselves too seriously, and that they'd be stronger for seeing that and for adjusting their attitude. I think laughter is a good remedy for pomposity, and perhaps those who take offense when they're laughed at do so because they're clinging onto that pomposity, and can't stand to see other people expressing the fact that a ritual looks ludicrous to them. Of course if the ritual in question is about some deeply painful experience, trying to come to terms with intense grief, then laughing at that soon gets tasteless. But many rituals are about "Aren't we great?" and I don't think it does any real harm to remind them that they're no better than anybody else.

Having said that, I'm not sure that these Christians are trying to make fun of anybody's ritual. It seems a lot of trouble to go to just to play a joke on another group.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 1:50 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Having said that, I'm not sure that these Christians are trying to make fun of anybody's ritual. It seems a lot of trouble to go to just to play a joke on another group.

I don't think they're doing it with the intention of mocking, it's much more about many Christians viewing Christianity as the legitimate successor to Judaism. Ironically, many of those same Christians get pretty peeved about Mormons and the notion that Christianity received updates or references to Allah being the God of Abraham.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 5:25 am

But what Christians really need is to is to celebrate the Greek god Dionysus.

Invoke him, and his goat-people buddies, in wine bacchanals.

We dont need more seders.

We need more satyrs! :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I don't think they're doing it with the intention of mocking, it's much more about many Christians viewing Christianity as the legitimate successor to Judaism. Ironically, many of those same Christians get pretty peeved about Mormons and the notion that Christianity received updates or references to Allah being the God of Abraham.

I suppose the underlying problem is that so many religions have a strong notion that their ideology is the only correct one, which I guess usually leads to some kind of a desire to oppose all the others, and a sense of being particularly offended and undermined when a different group displays an altered form of "their" ritual. Though if only they'd relax and take a good look, they'd see that there's no actual threat at all, except to totalitarianism.