Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

CrazyEspy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2022, 1:13 pm

I don't watch any cartoons currently but I used to like them when I was younger, now I just watch some anime and gotta get back into the groove of doing so because it's calming for me with all the bright smooth colorful worlds and stories. It's like candy that's actually good for me but for my mind.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 5:56 pm

We have a lot of Calvin and Hobbs and Foxtrot and Baby Blues and Peanuts collections of the newspaper strips in book form. The kids like them. I do too sometimes.

The classic Disney stuff done when Walt was still involved and they still drew every cell by hand is still great stuff.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 6:57 pm

how could i have not mentioned Frank & Ernest as well as the inimitable Farside? i really liked the Farside animated special on TV way back when.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 8:13 pm

There were some dun cross over strips when Dagwood and Blondie had their 75th anniversary.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 8:56 pm

Two of my less well known favourites are Larry Gonick, the overeducated cartoonist, and Dan O'Neil, who both published in Whole Earth. When that rag dropped R. Crumb in favour of Jim Woodring, I sensed that their days were numbered. Crumb had done a simple page of small panels of a crossroads in America, showing it about every decade, from a simple shack on a trail, to a railway flanking the road, and on through the depression, etc. Trees grow and die, the shack becomes a house, and then a restaurant, and eventually a shack for a used car lot. It is one of the most thought-provoking things I've seen.
Another unsung genius is Lynda J. Barry, who also does some standup. Her plot lines are bizarre and fun, such as an ad that switches the target audience half way through, but her drawing is very marginal. Harvey Pekar thought his was just not acceptable, and got his observations of the human condition illuminated by R. Crumb and many other famous artists.

On the popular list are Gary Trudeau, whose punchlines can still make me chuckle just from memory, and Gary Larson. His Far Side would have vanished without a trace if not for a single sales call getting lucky. Calvin and Hobbes are another handy way to laugh at human quirks, instead of getting snared ourselves.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 8:26 pm

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 11:42 pm

Fenn wrote:

in the last rightmost panel, who are those cartoon characters?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 10:14 am

^ Mother Goose and Grimm

https://www.grimmy.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Goose_and_Grimm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Peters_(cartoonist)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 10:42 am

Most of my life I've enjoyed both drawing cartoons and watching them, especially classic animation from the 30s and 40s. I also have a soft spot for Disney animation, especially from the 90s.

But I don't watch, couldn't care less about, or just plain hate most cartoons and animation that is, literally, from this century. I guess I'm just too old.

When I was a teenager I got harassed and bullied a lot in school because cartoons were all I seemed to care about, and adults couldn't understand why I didn't have more interests that were "normal" for someone my age. Sometimes I wonder if things would have been different if I had been diagnosed back then. Although it might have actually been worse.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 11:34 am

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 11:40 am

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 5:18 pm

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 5:21 pm

Liked this movie does it count asa cartoon?