Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jay123
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2022, 12:46 pm

For as long as I can remember I've been in love With Animation. Even though I was born in 1997 I love Cartoon Shows before my time, such as Hannah Barbara, Old Disney and Looney Toons, Transformers, X-Men and Spider-Man the Animated Series, DC Animated Universe was a Masterpiece. I used to love Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network when I was younger, but now they've gone down the tubes. I also miss Kid's WB. What do you guys think of Cartoons? If you like them, Which ones did you like the best as a kid?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 2:32 pm

I love hand-drawn animation like Looney Toons, The Flintstones, Peanuts, and Winnie-the-Pooh.

I love animated Disney cartoons but only up until The Lion King. When they switched to DreamWorks and computer animation I stopped watching Disney; I think it looks awful and lacks personality. I tried to watch Toy Story but couldn't do it. Likewise I saw bits and pieces of Finding Nemo on VCR tape when my daughter was little, but I couldn't watch the whole thing. It's a shame because it looked like a cute story.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 3:16 pm

I like some. I like Cutie Honey, Devilman and Curious George. Maybe some more.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 3:19 pm

I love cartoons and animated movies, and I watch mainly things like that. I love the effort that goes into them. I feel like there can often be more effort put into them than live action shows and movies, and that it's a form of media that doesn't get even a fraction of the respect it deserves.

I also agree that computer animated movies can look kind of bland and the same, but more recent ones are changing that and have a lot aspects of them that look stunningly realistic and unique. It's amazing how much they've progressed and I'm excited to see what stuff like that looks like in another decade.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 3:46 pm

I think that's the problem for me. I don't want them to look realistic. I want them to look like drawings. I want to know they are the result of a human being and not a machine. In 1990 I was on a Disney tour and I watched animators drawing and colouring cells for the "Be Our Guest" scene from Beauty and the Beast. They were in a design studio with floor-to-ceiling shelves displaying thousands of different paint and ink colours. I didn't know the name of the movie at that time but they were drawing the spinning plates. Within a year Beauty and the Beast was released in cinema.

The artist's personality shines through in hand-drawn animation. When I see characters I want to know who drew them and what their life was like. In computer animation I only think how good the computers are, or how skilled the artist is with electronics. It seems like the artist as an individual ceases to exist.

Be Our Guest ^

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 4:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The artist's personality shines through in hand-drawn animation.

I love that aspect of it, too.

I wanted to be an animator when I was six, and was obsessed with cartoons. I grew up near a college and they had an animation festival my dad took me to. I got to see a Ren and Stimpy short before the show premiered (the one where they're in the pound). I also used to tape cartoons off Cartoon Network, filling a VHS tape so I could watch them over and over. I would try to study why some were better than others. The first week I got Cartoon Network I forgot my homework every day.

I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast in the theater, and thinking how realistic the opening sequence looked...the water. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was great in the theater too. And I loved Wallace and Gromit. Also The Rescuers and Robin Hood by Disney.

Rocky and Bullwinkle was a favorite. There's a great book on its history called The Moose That Roared. I loved The Simpsons, too. Bart, Homer, and Lisa all annoy the crap out of me, but the gags are great. Very creative. And of course, Johnny Quest. That might be my favorite animation ever. So much texture, color, and shadow.

And Akira...that movie consumes you.

I feel like I learned a lot of cultural references from cartoons (and comics). I knew the basics of Citizen Kane long before I saw it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 4:17 pm

You raise a great point that I meant to say earlier. Animation is meant to be for children, so that human expressions are exaggerated and recognisable. The personification of animals and everyday items helps children to develop empathy. I think hand-drawn animation is better for children because they're at the age of learning to draw or hold pencils, themselves. Little kids love to draw their first Snoopy or their first Charlie Brown. Such characters are quite easy to copy when looking at vintage cartoon art. Old cartoons look imperfect, almost like they were drawn by children. That could help kids to mimic and develop an interest in creativity, without feeling intimidated.

Kids today see a computerised products which look highly inaccessible. Today's animation looks like it was made by adults and machines, rather than youngsters experimenting with crayon.

I think that's quite regrettable for the next generation of artists.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 4:21 pm

^Great point! Hannah Barbera was great in that way. Childlike, but great designs.

Family Guy looks like it was drawn by a really immature computer, at least :P

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 6:37 pm

I like "adult" cartoons like the Simpsons and South Park.

I like Tom & Jerry, but who doesn't? :wink:

And I like Arthur because it's so realistic for a children's cartoon (I know the characters are animals but I mean the way the plots go, they have realistic family life storylines).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 6:51 pm

South Park, definitely. It looks ridiculously coarse and simple but it has a lot to say to me. I've also liked Futurama, Duckman, Popeye (the original version when the villain was called Bluto not Brutus), Noggin The Nog, Ivor The Engine, The Pink Panther Show, Dastardly And Muttley In Their Flying Machines, some of the Merry Melodies, and the feature films Yellow Submarine, The Little Island, and Flatworld.

Aladar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2022, 8:12 pm

i'm definitely an animation enthusiast though mostly older stuff up to like 2009 though i admit to thoroughly enjoying pixar no matter what however family guy simpsons south park etc can burn for eternity

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 9:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I love hand-drawn animation like Looney Toons, The Flintstones, Peanuts, and Winnie-the-Pooh.

I love animated Disney cartoons but only up until The Lion King. When they switched to DreamWorks and computer animation I stopped watching Disney; I think it looks awful and lacks personality. I tried to watch Toy Story but couldn't do it. Likewise I saw bits and pieces of Finding Nemo on VCR tape when my daughter was little, but I couldn't watch the whole thing. It's a shame because it looked like a cute story.

I recommend Klaus. It’s hand drawn, and outstanding. It’s a Christmas movie, but I love it so much.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 9:12 pm

Aladar wrote:
i'm definitely an animation enthusiast though mostly older stuff up to like 2009 though i admit to thoroughly enjoying pixar no matter what however family guy simpsons south park etc can burn for eternity

Sounds like you hate The Simpsons as much as Frank Grimes, or Grimey as he liked to be called.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 11:05 pm

tennessee tuxedo and tooter turtle for me :)

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 11:12 pm

I haven't watched cartoons for a while but I used to watch them a lot when I was a kid, my favourites were Yogi bear, wacky races, cattanooga cats, funky phantom, the Snorks, lots of them.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 8:48 am

Yes, I still watch them on occasion when I have time to. Growing up in the late 1970s-1980s, it was common to spend Saturday mornings in front of the t.v. watching them. I have a collection of certain cartoons from that era. Transformers and G.I Joe were my favorites back in the day.