Attitudes to Autism accross different countries and cultures

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2022, 12:55 pm

During my continuing research into Autism I recently came across an interview with an Autistic, French Israeli, author and musician (Dr Mordehai Benhamou interviewed on the Asperger's Growth You Tube channel). He was saying how in France Autistic people are viewed as either having some kind of "spoilt child" attitude, or just as being some kind of ret*d. But things were better than that in Israel he said, where Autistic people were sometimes viewed as being closer to God.

I'm not exactly sure how the UK would rate. I've not yet discussed Autism with anyone non Autistic (apart from anonymously and online), but I have overheard conversations of Autistic people being described in terms of being "odd." I guess this is going to be a fairly standard kind of attitude that Neuro Typicals would hold about us Autistic people.

I would be interested to hear what countries and cultures people think are the most progressive/enlightened/educated/tolerant etc and which are the least, and why do people think that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 6:38 pm

Autism In France: Psychoanalysis, Packing, Other Travesties - Wrong Planet thread

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2022, 7:16 am

Wow that's really bad, much worse than I thought.

It seems that understanding of Autism has moved on quite a lot in general in the last 10 years, since the time of that post and documentary, but it sounds like France was a very long way behind indeed at that time.

Things aren't great here in the UK right now in terms of Autism, but by the sounds of what little I have heard I'd much rather be here than in France. I'm not planning on emigrating to another country where things might be better, but I guess it's good to know how things stand in various countries. Even if it's not good news, if that makes sense.