Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 8:28 am

anyone else find it hard to keep up with?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 8:39 am

Yes.
Stopped Facebook in 2015.
Never had account for Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, or other new ones I don't know what they are.
Even dropped off several hobby forums.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 8:57 am

Facebook,Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, et cetera . . . never let them do your thinking for you!

Reikistar
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2022, 11:27 am

I have a Facebook account but only go on occasionally and even then mainly for groups. I don't post much and rarely follow anyone's page. I don't have any other accounts. I find social media in general quite overwhelming.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 1:13 pm

It seems like social media is just a stalker's paradise. In the best of circumstanses, it still allows your work friends to know way too much about what you do with your weekends & PTO.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 1:19 pm

I'm too addicted to social media (well only Facebook). But I'm also addicted to WP. I'm addicted to talking to people and sharing my thoughts and feelings and getting to know them and their thoughts and feelings.

Yes, now you understand why I hate being on the spectrum. It denies my inner NT that screaming to get out. I'm naturally sociable and interested in people.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 3:54 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

No. As far as I can tell, I'm not attractive to advertisers, so nothing I ever posted got sent on. I miss the listservs, but won't use a commercial platform with a secret algorithm.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 3:56 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

Just say no.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 7:38 pm

Yes I've got a problem with Facebook. I very rarely post anything but I find it hard to stop trying to make sure I've seen everything in my newsfeed, and commented on everything about which I think I've got anything worth saying. I've got filters on it so that it's only my Facebook friends and my groups that I see, but it can still take a big slice of time out of my day to look through it all.

Depending on how you define social media (is WP social media? What about emails?) you could rightly say that it's important to keep some kind of interest in it. My social life would barely exist these days if I left it all behind. I don't get invited to meet up with people very often, and I hardly ever initiate any face-to-face social encounters - not because social media has displaced anything, it would be like that anyway, and probably even worse. A good proportion of the face-to-face invitations I get are from one kind of social media or another.

I think most of the problem comes from my "completist" tendencies - I can't seem to abandon anything until I've scoured it for all possible features of interest and explored it to death, as if it would be the end of the world if I missed something good.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 12:33 am

More like antisocial media. Not asocial, which is not the same as antisocial, but literally antisocial as if everyone has ASPD.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 2:14 am

No problems here as I don't use any of it as I don't want to hear any of it.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 3:15 am

Yep, or rather I used to have problems with them, or rather with FB.
I used Twitter as a corporate platform when I ran my own business, but I don't see the use now.
I used to spend waay too much time on FB trying to keep up.
I guess my problem was similar to my reading problems, ie not beeing able to skim texts and reading quite slowly.
However my quitting FB 2015 or so was mostly because the groups I joined were full of people who didn't know what they were talking about, trying a serious discussion on any of my interests was 99.9% of the time a complete waste of time and effort.
I still spend too much time on WP and a couple of other forums, but it's mostly under control.

/Mats

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 3:39 am

I get overloaded by social media

I find it hard to keep up with...

its ok though

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2022, 3:49 am

I've seen spending a lot of time scrolling makes me fatigued and overstimulated.
Especially Facebook, I used to be active all the time and currently I'm stopping to catch some breath. My attention span is also horrible thanks to my news, memes and posts in general consumption.
Also, Zuckerberg doesn't seem like a person who likes freedom of speech. Used Twitter for a while, find it just "meh"...

Never understood the popularity of TikTok, though. Clowning around in front of the camera is like another level of absurd.

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 5:32 am

When a real friend asks me to be their Facebonk friend, I feel like they have joined a cult and become lost to me. As far as I can tell, the only thing social media does better than email is fill in the "to" fields for you with less effort, but it also screws up your social life to make you a better customer. When people rely on it in a crisis, it has been known to betray them deliberately. As for Twitter, why would I want constant petty distractions and a very low possibility of a proper presentation for even slightly complex ideas.

Reikistar
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2022, 5:50 am

Dear_one wrote:
When a real friend asks me to be their Facebonk friend, I feel like they have joined a cult and become lost to me. As far as I can tell, the only thing social media does better than email is fill in the "to" fields for you with less effort, but it also screws up your social life to make you a better customer. When people rely on it in a crisis, it has been known to betray them deliberately. As for Twitter, why would I want constant petty distractions and a very low possibility of a proper presentation for even slightly complex ideas.

I've found this too. Friendships become reduced to occasional 'likes' and comments' on Facebook whereas beforehand we'd send long chatty emails.