Should I ask for a raise in this case?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 1:03 am

My gf and friends say I should and that I am worth a lot to the company I worked for since I do a lot for them but I wonder how much should I ask for in that case.  The job pays me about seven dollars an hour lower than I would need to make a living wage off of, so if I were to ask for any more, how much more should I therefore then?

Thank you for any advice on this.  I really appreciate it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 3:35 am

ironpony wrote:
My gf and friends say I should and that I am worth a lot to the company I worked for since I do a lot for them but I wonder how much should I ask for in that case.  The job pays me about seven dollars an hour lower than I would need to make a living wage off of, so if I were to ask for any more, how much more should I therefore then?

Thank you for any advice on this.  I really appreciate it.

I would be a job hopper.What do you do for this company?Is this a "McJob"for lack of a better word?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 10:49 am

How long have you been with the company?

Do you know anybody in the company who has asked for raises before?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 10:57 am

ironpony wrote:
Should I ask for a raise in this case?
What unique skills have you brought in to the company that would devastate the company if you left with them?

Bargain from a position of strength, not weakness.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2022, 10:53 pm

1) Organize a list of points about how you've improved, and what you're doing to improve.

2) Make sure your work performance the past few weeks has been very solid. As they may use mistakes or nitpick as an argument on why they don't want to increase your pay. If possible, ask your management or coworkers what you can do to improve beforehand so that you can rectify any potential problems.

3) Don't mention anything about your needs (i.e. cost of living, inflation, etc). What the employer cares about is what you're offering them.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 12:15 am

Oh okay thanks. Well I do a lot of video editing for them and VFX and color correction on their company videos. I also shoot the videos as well, and I have camera equipment, that a lot of people do not have, which adds production value.

But they are still paying me minimum wage after a year. But I feel that my skills and equipment definitely will make the videos look better than just anyone you can hire.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:14 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay thanks. Well I do a lot of video editing for them and VFX and color correction on their company videos. I also shoot the videos as well, and I have camera equipment, that a lot of people do not have, which adds production value.

But they are still paying me minimum wage after a year. But I feel that my skills and equipment definitely will make the videos look better than just anyone you can hire.

If you bring your own equipment, that brings enough value to state why you should get a raise.

On the contrary:

You now have the ability to freelance and take other side hustles if you want. Just don't mention that when asking for a raise

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:22 am

Can you just say something like you are getting approaches to do freelancing work and you are considering your options, given you own your own equipment. Say you'd prefer the consistency of current role but need to make sure you are getting properly remunerated.