Feelings of guilt due to communication delay I had.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 5:26 pm

I feel guilty for pulling my mother's and brother's hair when I was a little.

When I pulled my brother's hair, he started crying, but I still couldn't understand why he was crying. My mom told me not to pull hair many times, and I couldn't understand that I should not pull hair until I did it to myself, that is when I stopped pulling hair.

I know that hurting others is wrong, but I wonder if my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder contributed to that behavior, as I couldn't not understand that consequences for pulling someone's hair until I got older. It's embarrassing!

It's not normal, because I should not experiment on myself to learn not to pull other's hair.

My mom explained to me that most babies are soft when touching hair.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 5:43 pm

I guess it depends on how little you were...
I know I pulled my brothers (5 years younger) hair quite a lot, my mother told me she found us with me sitting with big chunks of his hair in my hands, and i once stabbed him with a pencil in his back, I believe he still has a dark spot from that.
Kids do these kinds of things. I was perhaps a bit slow to understand that what I did was actually hurting, I don't know what's normal. I must had been around at least 7 or 8.

/Mats

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 5:47 pm

It makes sense.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 5:51 pm

I supposedly once said in my defence "It doesn't hurt on HIM", so for me it didn't help to know that the same action would hurt me

/Mats

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 6:03 pm

It makes sense.