hypothetical Planet Nine NOT FOUND in pretty good search

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 10:43 am

https://www.space.com/planet-9-search-e ... ter-survey

Quote:
“ . . The astronomers looked at 87% of the sky accessible from the southern hemisphere over six years, and then processed the images to search for faint sources. . . . . ”

So, this photo diagram is the evidence for Planet Nine. That you wouldn’t see these dwarf planets in these particular orbits unless there was a Planet Nine. (always a danger that since you’re trying to confirm a theory, you’re looking in a particular area harder then somewhere else)

But now a search (not perfect, nothing is), and no Planet Nine, not yet. And maybe not there to be found? ?

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 22 Apr 2022, 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 10:46 am

That photo has obviously been retouched -- planets do not leave luminous trails in their orbits.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 10:47 am

Artists’ Conceptions of what Pluto, Sedna, and Quaoar look like

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/pia0556 ... ts-concept

Please notice that Sedna is slightly smaller than Pluto.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 22 Apr 2022, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 10:48 am

Fnord wrote:
That photo has obviously been retouched -- planets do not leave luminous trails in their orbits.

Yes, very good point. And I’m thinking it’s actually more of a diagram, not a photo.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve made the change in my original post.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 22 Apr 2022, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 10:49 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes, very good point. And I’m thinking it’s actually more of a diagram, not a photo.
It IS a diagram!  Thus, it cannot be cited as evidence for or against "Planet Nine".

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 11:11 am

Fnord wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It IS a diagram!  Thus, it cannot be cited as evidence for or against "Planet Nine".

It’s not a slam dunk. But it’s a diagram that more dwarf planets than expected are in similar orbits.

I still think the point of tension is — that when Sedna was discovered in 2003, that it’s common to look harder where you’ve already found something hoping to find something else — and not an even steven survey of the whole sky.

So, there may not be an overall pattern. And even if there is, Planet Nine may not be the best explanation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 11:14 am

. . . there may not be an overall pattern.  And even if there is, Planet Nine may not be the best explanation.
This ↑ is the best answer, as it neither confirms nor denies the existence of "Planet Nine" based on current data.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 11:17 am

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/s ... 6mar_sedna

Sedna (at least 57% the size of Pluto’s diameter) is quite a bit further out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 11:21 am

Yes, this is all basic astronomy.

MindEngine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2022, 12:48 pm

https://www.space.com/planet-9-search-empty-millimeter-survey

Quote:
“ . . The astronomers looked at 87% of the sky accessible from the southern hemisphere over six years, and then processed the images to search for faint sources. . . . . ”

So, this photo diagram is the evidence for Planet Nine. That you wouldn’t see these dwarf planets in these particular orbits unless there was a Planet Nine. (always a danger that since you’re trying to confirm a theory, you’re looking in a particular area harder then somewhere else)

But now a search (not perfect, nothing is), and no Planet Nine, not yet. And maybe not there to be found? ?

I won't be too in a hurry to discover Planet Nine (if exists). The method of determination of Planet Nine has been already used successfully for many celestial body. The problem is that this planet is comparatevely smaller, comparatevely farther and comparatively darker to any other body in the solar sistem detected insofar. We usually spots asteroids and planetoids from the Oort region when they get nearer to us and therefore more visibile. So I think that unless you plan for a mission specifically design to reach near the supposed Planet Nine position you won't be able to discover much from Earth, even with best resolution telescopes. We have an idea of his orbit and therefore the mission is not impossible, but I think that a telescope has never been pushed so far from Earth. Also the region is dense of opaque bodies even of very small diameter therefore the risks of last-second impacts might be quite high, and the probe won't stand it. Anyway, it took year to visually detect Uranus and Neptune, which were discovered with the same method. So, I won't despair.