Do grown people in stores really laugh at customers?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 7:11 pm

I just thought NTs were mature and that it's us Aspies that are supposed to be the immature ones. But I wouldn't stand there giggling at a complete stranger in a store with my friend like a 10-year-old in the playground. It's the sort of behaviour you'd think most people would grow out of. I don't think I've ever felt the urge to laugh at a stranger, except this one time when I was about 14 I saw this old lady across the street walking with her head right up towards the sky and was opening and closing her mouth like a goldfish. I was with my brother and I whispered, "is that your girlfriend?" It really made us giggle, but if we had been walking right past her on the same side of the street we probably would have kept a straight face as she went by, then laughed after she was out of sight.

I just thought it was a social skill you learn and also an empathy skill. If a 14-year-old Aspie knew better then surely two grown women in their 50s or 60s and most likely NTs should know even better. And I wasn't even doing anything odd or unusual enough to notice and whisper about and giggle at. Like I said before, what could they have been saying if they were whispering and laughing at me? They might as well have been laughing at a brick wall.

And people call me immature if I laugh at something that's not funny. Well at least I laugh at objects, so I'm not exactly upsetting anyone.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I just thought NTs were mature and that it's us Aspies that are supposed to be the immature ones.

It is easy to think that yet reality keeps demonstrating otherwise.

Something I thought quite immature was in 1990s when I worked for AT&T in an inbound call center.
Union contract negotiations were happening and for I forget what reason were all directed to make noise by tapping our pens on our desks at a certain time one day.

WTF?????????????

HOW does THAT have any imaginable productive impact on union contract negotiations?

Other stuff of similar flavor happened then and at other times and I developed a very low opinion of the supposed adults in union leadership.

Somewhere along the way my frustrations boiled over and I told one to their face, "Are you people fifty or fifth-graders, looking at your behavior I can't tell!"
:evil:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 11:43 am

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you.

If this happened to me, I'd look for something to damage right by the exit before walking out. It'd best if it's something breakable like painted ceramic tiles. But even a setup of refrigerator magnets will suffice. I'd pretend to "accidentally" trip over the shelf, "accidentally" fall forward on the floor myself, and make the whole thing tumble to the ground. Then I'd get back to my feet and walk out like nothing's wrong. Of course, this only works if it's a store I don't plan to return to.

(In the US, it's even easier: I'd scream at them that they created a tripping hazard, and threaten to sue the store. 8O)

Otherwise, I'd march right up to the counter, and demand the women's names the minute I heard them laughing. Then I'd call the corporate office or the store owner, tell them how I was treated, and demand that those women be fired. If it's a corporate chain like a 7-11, their jobs would be done for next day. If it's a one-man operation, like a small store, I'd have no choice but to either pay Antifa to loot it, or be out of luck entirely because they give him "favors" for their jobs.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 1:16 pm

I've forgotten about that now.

Computer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2022, 10:30 am

Yes but I think it has to do with the fact that you're a girl. I've noticed that older women tend to mistreat visibly younger (and especially good looking) women because they are jealous. It's nothing to worry about, it's just BS NT instincts.