cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
How I understand Shanghai is:
Loose control and international contacts up to recently have resulted in:
a) economical growth
b) foreign influence
c) corruption
all at the same time.
It's possible central government has been turning the blind eye on b) and c) because of a).
Now it has changed and, unfortunately, the three may be too interwined with each other to easily solve the problem of corruption without huge losses to the economy and, thus, to people's well-being.

Their actions aren't entirely unforseen though. Prior to COVID the CCP clamped down on Hong Kong in order to stamp out anti-CCP elements but prior to this they also turned a blind eye to HK due to the economic window it provided to foreign markets

Didn't things change when Xi came into power?

Xi took power in 2013.
The armed conflict in Hong Kong first occurred in 2020, at least that's the information I can easily collect.
long time interval.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 6:49 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
How I understand Shanghai is:
Loose control and international contacts up to recently have resulted in:
a) economical growth
b) foreign influence
c) corruption
all at the same time.
It's possible central government has been turning the blind eye on b) and c) because of a).
Now it has changed and, unfortunately, the three may be too interwined with each other to easily solve the problem of corruption without huge losses to the economy and, thus, to people's well-being.

Their actions aren't entirely unforseen though. Prior to COVID the CCP clamped down on Hong Kong in order to stamp out anti-CCP elements but prior to this they also turned a blind eye to HK due to the economic window it provided to foreign markets

Didn't things change when Xi came into power?

Xi took power in 2013.
The armed conflict in Hong Kong first occurred in 2020, at least that's the information I can easily collect.
long time interval.

I see, but I think it is clear he had his eye on HK and Taiwan. It would be his "legacy" to reunite China, the way pootin wants to reunite the former Soviet Union.

This is basic human psychology 101. ;)

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 6:55 am

Pepe wrote:
I see, but I think it is clear he had his eye on HK and Taiwan. It would be his "legacy" to reunite China, the way pootin wants to reunite the former Soviet Union.

I think before there was armed conflict in Hong Kong, the central government was not so concerned about the political leanings there.
This is in line with the CCP's handling of other political dissent.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 6:58 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I think before there was armed conflict in Hong Kong, the central government was not so concerned about the political leanings there.

My understanding is that the only reason there was open dissent in HK was because of the treatment by the CCP, who controlled HK's government.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 7:01 am

Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

My understanding is that the only reason there was open dissent in HK was because of the treatment by the CCP, who controlled HK's government.

Many reasons.
The fatal one: Hong Kong has a rather deformed capitalist system and scarce land, which makes local young people very desperate for life. You can imagine local real estate and living costs.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 7:03 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Many reasons.
The fatal one: Hong Kong has a rather deformed capitalist system and scarce land, which makes local young people very desperate for life. You can imagine local real estate and living costs.

Enlightening. 8)

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:03 pm

Quote:
A related immigration agency said: "Although Shanghai is still closed, many Shanghai customers have signed contracts remotely and started the immigration process".

Quote:
According to Baidu search data, in April, the data of searches for keywords related to "immigration abroad" across China surged. And the search rate of the hot word "moving to Canada", which is the first in terms of search volume, increased by 2846%. Next, the entry "Where is it good to go abroad" ranked second with a search growth rate of 2455%. At the same time, Baidu search also gave relevant regional data. According to the data, the most frequently searched areas for "immigration" related terms are Shanghai, Jiangsu, Guangdong, Beijing, Shandong, Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian, Liaoning, and Henan. The regions with the largest year-on-year search growth were Shanghai (↑109.61%), Tianjin (↑41.5%), Guangdong (↑29.79%), Jiangsu, Shaanxi, Hong Kong, Jilin, Zhejiang, Taiwan, and Fujian.

Quote:
According to WeChat index data, on April 3, the Chinese keyword data for "immigration" surged by 440% month-on-month, and the number of searches in a single day reached nearly 50 million. This means that one out of every 20 WeChat users searched for "immigration"-related information on April 3.

I don't know what ideas I should have now.
Maybe I had wild wishes to mend a steamship that is doomed to sink.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 4:20 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Quote:
A related immigration agency said: "Although Shanghai is still closed, many Shanghai customers have signed contracts remotely and started the immigration process".

People want to enter Shanghai in particular?

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 4:22 am

Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Quote:

People want to enter Shanghai in particular?

Some Shanghainese try to immigrate to other countries.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 1:14 am

An answer on another "Shanghai" thread:
The result is that nothing has changed.
National Health Commission: "Dynamic zero" and economic development are not opposite

Quote:
This morning (29th), at a press conference of the State Council Information Office, Liang Wannian, head of the expert group of the National Health Commission's Leading Group for Epidemic Response and Disposal, said: "Dynamic zero" and normal economic development, production and life are synergistic with each other, not against each other.

Liang Wannian pointed out that the ultimate goal of "Dynamic Zero" is to maximize the protection of people's health and life safety, as well as maximize the protection of social and economic development and normal production and life. "Dynamic zero" and normal economic development, production and life are synergistic with each other, not against each other.

Liang Wannian said that "Dynamic Zero" has three sub-goals: first, the protection of physical health and life safety; second, to effectively protect and promote economic development, so that economic development can be protected from the impact of viruses and epidemics; The third is to effectively protect the normal production and life of ordinary people.
Liang Wannian pointed out that my country is a country with a large population, regional development is unbalanced, medical resources are generally insufficient, and resource allocation is unbalanced. As I said just now, the overall vaccination rate of "one old and one young" is not high enough. In the face of the repeated impact of the new crown pneumonia epidemic, if the so-called "lying flat" strategy of coexisting with the virus is adopted, there will be a serious risk of running on medical and health resources. The health of a large number of patients with underlying diseases, the elderly, children, and pregnant women will be threatened.
Li Bin emphasized that under the premise of adhering to the general policy of "dynamic zero", we encourage local governments to explore and summarize some good experiences and practices based on the local epidemic situation and characteristics. Further improve the scientific and precise level of epidemic prevention and control, and strive to achieve the greatest prevention and control effect with the least cost.
"Dynamic zero" also promotes the development of the digital economy. For example, the telemedicine and big data technologies we use have promoted the development of China's digital economy, effectively safeguarding people's livelihood, and protecting vulnerable groups.( :roll: )

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Apr 2022, 1:36 am

^ the "talking head" has not convinced me...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 1:42 am

magz wrote:
^ the "talking head" has not convinced me...

If you are attracted to the kind of statement "strive to achieve the greatest prevention and control effect with the least cost."
They said a lot and started saying it a long time ago.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 1:43 am

Quote:
‘It takes its toll’: Frustration grows over Shanghai’s strict lockdown
6 hours ago

An Australian expat living in China has expressed his frustration at Shanghai’s strict lockdown.

Chinese officials say it may soon be eased if new COVID testing shows the virus is no longer spreading.

Justin Everett said he can’t leave his area of residence unless it’s to get a COVID test.

“In terms of wandering around the building or the compound, I think they’re not so strict on it, well, my compound anyway, but for example, there are some close contacts next door from me, and they’ve got a monitor on their door to make sure that they don’t leave,” Mr Everett told Sky News Australia.

He said food is hard to come by and that residents are forced to resort to bulk buying.

“Sometimes it’s really hard to find a reason to get out of bed in the morning because my routine basically is go to the gym, exercise, meet up with friends but with all that taken away from me, it takes its toll.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... erallPos=8

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 11:38 am

There is an attractive theory here about the whole affair.

1. The change of China's top leadership is coming. The Chinese government usually reduces any negative information before such meetings.
2. Xi previously changed the rules to give himself the possibility of being re-elected.
3. The Shanghai government has openly contradictory statements with other local governments/central governments. This is extremely unusual in China. Because the entire CCP is accustomed to presenting itself as "an iron plate".

(The above are well-established facts in Chinese political debate.)

4. The "Dynamic Zero" policy was led and implemented by Xi himself.
5. Some people at the top of the CCP oppose the "Dynamic Zero" policy or against Xi himself.
6. The Shanghai government is dominated by this faction.

If true, there is a force in action here against the current core of the CCP, but at the expense of the people.
To be precise, torture the people to stir up anger against the central government or their current policies.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 12:46 pm

Cases in Taiwan in the last month. They switched policy in early May.
The data is not optimistic. The right Y-axis corresponds to the blue line, which is the number of deaths.

Quote:
The command center announced today that there were 88,247 new local cases of COVID-19, and 240 more cases of moderate and severe cases (136 cases of moderate disease and 104 cases of severe disease). 122 people died.
Including 2 infants under 1 year old, they were diagnosed by sudden death at home, of which a 1-month-old boy became the smallest death case.

Perhaps "dynamic zero" is the lesser of two evils.
But obviously the choice is not in my hands.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2022, 1:07 pm

An important aspects are cases-to-hospitalizations and cases-to-deaths ratios.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/taiwan/
On the "new cases" chart, the first wave in Taiwan is invisible.
On the "new deaths" chart, the second wave is higher than the first one but not nearly as overwhelming.

I don't say the Taiwan goverment is making right decisions but this aspect is commonly taken into account in easing lockdowns.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>