Sniper found dead after shooting 4 in D.C.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 2:24 pm

Suspect in DC shooting that wounded 4 is dead, police say

Quote:
The suspect in a shooting in northwest Washington, DC, that left four people wounded on Friday afternoon has died, DC Metropolitan Police Department Chief Robert Contee said.

"The suspect that we believe is responsible for this is now deceased," said Contee, who declined to name the suspect pending notification of next of kin. "We believe that the suspect took his own life as MPD members were entering or breaching the apartment where the suspect was located."

Police are not looking for another suspect, Contee said.

Officers recovered six firearms inside the apartment where they found the suspect, Contee said, including "several long guns, multiple, multiple rounds of ammunition, and handguns as well." The investigation is ongoing, he said, adding that police do not have a motive at this point for the shooting.

He said they do not believe there were any other shooters beside the dead suspect, and are not sure of any connection between the suspect and the nearby Edmund Burke School, a college prep school in northwest Washington.

DC's Metropolitan Police Department tweeted out pictures of the firearms that were recovered inside the apartment in Washington where the shooting suspect was found dead.

"This was very much a sniper-type setup with a tripod, and this person, obviously, his intent was to kill and hurt members of our community," Contee said, adding the suspect was shooting from north to south.

Contee said it appeared the suspect was shooting at people randomly rather than in any sort of pattern.
Asked if the suspect had been previously known to law enforcement, the chief said the preliminary information he's received indicates no past contact.

A man and a woman are in stable but critical condition, Emerman said, updating an earlier report from a police source who said two men had been shot. A girl is also being treated for a minor gunshot wound. All three are being treated at local hospitals.

At a later media briefing, Emerman said a fourth victim, whom he described as a woman in her mid-60s, was grazed by a bullet but did not have to go to the hospital.

One of the four people shot is a retired member of the DC Metropolitan Police Department, Contee said.

Police are also investigating whether shots fired at a deli about half a mile down the street from the initial shooting location is connected.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 6:21 am

Interesting a story like this hardly raises an eyebrow.

Mass shootings are almost a weekly occurrence in the USA.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:

*multiple times/week is more accurate.

Roughly one per day in the USA as per https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_sh ... ted_States

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 7:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

*multiple times/week is more accurate.

Roughly one per day in the USA as per https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_sh ... ted_States

The problem is the MAGAs will either/or
1. just blame democrats for defunding the police
'2. blame democrats for not allowing citizens to open carry high powered weapons

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 7:59 pm

Only more guns can maybe solve the problem.. even though there are already more guns than people in the USA. The only thing that can improve the gun violence situation in America is more guns.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 9:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Only more guns can maybe solve the problem.. even though there are already more guns than people in the USA. The only thing that can improve the gun violence situation in America is more guns.

As usual the solution doesn't address the underlying problem.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 10:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

As usual the solution doesn't address the underlying problem.

There aren’t enough guns yet, obviously.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 9:44 am

Police chief discuses Northwest DC shooting; school remains closed, bullet damage left behind

Quote:
The Edmund Burke School remains closed Monday to allow students and families another day to decompress following Friday's terrifying shootings that left four injured and the suspected gunman dead.

Emotional support and counseling services for students traumatized by the gun violence and large police presence are available.

FOX 5's Melanie Alnwick visited the scene of the shootings Monday morning and found bullet holes and shattered glass among the damage that remains from the spray of gunfire.

The four victims -- a 54-year-old man retired police officer, a woman in her 30's, a woman in her mid-60s and a 12-year-old girl -- are all expected to survive.

The 23-year-old suspected gunman, Raymond Spencer, was found dead in a fifth-floor bathroom of an apartment building on Van Ness Street after investigators say he appeared to take his own life as officers were closing in.

It appears he shot from the fifth floor apartment where he was found dead. Alnwick reports that detectives said there were six firearms and little else in the apartment besides a mattress. They described a "sniper type setup" with a tripod and rifle, Alnwick, adding he was firing indiscriminately at people walking below. His motives are still unclear.

Investigators say the shooting was recorded and posted on an online message board. Alnwick reports he also had a residence in Fairfax County but police did not find any relatives there.

Violent crime in D.C. is up 25 percent from last year. this was one of four shootings in the city on Friday. another shooting was reported Saturday. Alnwick said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 12:39 pm

Hope he was not using a full power rifle round in the league of a .30-06.I also hope he was not using hunting rounds.I hope he was using military style ammo in his sniper rifles because that would be better for human life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 1:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
. . . The only thing that can improve the gun violence situation in America is more guns.
Only if every citizen capable of being armed is armed.

Putting 95% of the firearms in the hands of only 5% of the population makes no sense.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 2:06 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Hope he was not using a full power rifle round in the league of a .30-06.I also hope he was not using hunting rounds.I hope he was using military style ammo in his sniper rifles because that would be better for human life.

I think not getting shot at all is best for human life.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 2:20 pm

There was a mass shooting that took place here in Nova Scotia, Canada, in April 2020. We're still kind of in shock over that. :(

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 2:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Good point.I agree thats better but I think getting shot at by a rifle round and it missing still works too if you are alive.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Which is why I feel so much safer living in Australia

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 4:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Which is why I feel so much safer living in Australia

Well I dont feel safe ever stepping foot in Australia but thats just me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 4:46 pm

I would feel safe in most places in the world.

I even feel safe in my neighborhood in the supposedly "gun-crazy" USA.

(Yes, there's too many guns here----but to call the USA a violent culture is really not something I would take lying down).