Starting Over & Re-Entering College

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

lareinapuertoriquena26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2022, 5:00 pm

Hola! I’ve recently decided to go back to college after taking a long break. I have realized that my current university is not the college for me, and have made the decision to transfer to another college. During my time at this particular college, I had a very hard time with it, even though it was an online format. It was mainly how the instructors operated as well as the fact that I wasn’t attending my dream school.

I also noticed that during my time at this school that my symptoms of autism heavily displayed themselves in many ways, which also made it very hard for me to be successful during my time at this college.

I just wanted to provide a bit of background to my situation.

What are some of the challenges that you have faced while in college that you think are due to your autism, and how have you overcome those challenges ?

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

23 Apr 2022, 5:29 pm

Definitely not being assertive enough and having to drop out partly because some person with mental issues brought me that close to insanity. But this person would barely listen to teachers, and next class shed be back in the desk with me asking me the same thing continuously, interrupting my attention and tests. It was hell, but perhaps it was the only way to get rid of her. I endured 2 years every day.

Other than that college was so much better for me than the rest of education but I still couldn't stand this womanizer who would be a trickster talk a lot but have nothing to say just to earn his passing grades and holding speeches about some annoying things and we, majoritary women, were forced to listen.

I also had this pressuring of a teacher who would require me to study constantly and remember the lesson after she would read and we'd write. So definitely i couldn't learn the same ways, and I was always a bad example and drawn attention to, lectured. How i learn is by reading or understanding logically 1-2 days before tests or exams, no matter how much it is to learn, i don't retain information for that long and it takes me a long time to learn, it's torture useless. I explained this but I was put down. One day i was randomly picked and studied prior to that day. So my 'teacher' gave me a 10 out of 10, and a classmate was like, 10? And teacher was like 'well what do you want me to give her if she knew everything i asked' it was literally the entire notebook i got asked about and actually i learned her expeessions because I had no better way to express those things, it was the only way.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

AmandaPreston
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2022, 6:09 am

For me, it was also hard to go back to the educational process. And maybe the hardest part was to be around people I didn't know. Yes, I've already met friends, but in the beginning, I felt awful. Also, I had trouble with some home tasks, especially writing tasks. I was anxious because writing has always been a problem for me, and I didn't want to send the finished one to the professor because I thought it was not good enough. But I started practicing and overcoming that insecurity and fear. Also, I started reading paper examples online, and here https://studymoose.com/free-essays/life-lessons you can read more and see how they look. Those life experiences helped me a lot the last time I faced difficulties, and they are inspirational and perfect examples. So, I think those two things were the hardest for me when I got back to college, but now everything is better, and I hope you'll also be okay.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2022, 8:07 am

For me it was... all of it.

The classic way of teaching, that is, memorize some stuff then vomit it on an exam is not a fit for me. Simply put, the real world doesn't work like that, so I had 0 interest in remembering some random formula that I'll be able to just look up in a 10 second Google search whenever needed. Listening for two hours to a liveless teacher READ some stupid slides caused some sleepiness and angriness to me, almost like if that I was being ripped off. Almost a thousand euros per subject for THAT??? No motivation, no iteresting topics, souless teachers, a way of teaching that seemed outdated and useless... Wonder how that went. Bad of course.

Thankfully I was accepted in the Formula Student team, that made my uni life longer by a year or two, but when that was over, so was uni. I dropped out.

Social life usually is a big issue for many. I had none outside of the Formula Student team as that's were I'd spend ALL of my time outside classes. In fact, it took me 2 whole years to know that every thursday is party night and the reason so many wouldn't go to class on Fridays, and that was because a teacher thought I was sleppy because of partying and confronted me. Her face when she found out it was because of the Formula Student... "oven nights" were a pain in the a***.