Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 9:23 am

Twits.
https://youtu.be/zGxSM5y7Pfs

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Apr 2022, 9:24 am

Sorry for causing confusion. The name "twitter" is not censored on WP. It's my (apparently inappropriate) slant that I "self-censor" names of some companies.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 9:29 am

magz wrote:
Sorry for causing confusion. The name "twitter" is not censored on WP. It's my (apparently inappropriate) slant that I censor names of companies I dislike.
No worries.

(Imho) Twitter should be a space for the free exchange of ideas; instead it has become a space wherein "Free Speech" equals "Mean Speech" to most of the people using it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 2:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Apr 2022, 2:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Sorry for causing confusion. The name "twitter" is not censored on WP. It's my (apparently inappropriate) slant that I censor names of companies I dislike.
No worries.

(Imho) Twitter should be a space for the free exchange of ideas; instead it has become a space wherein "Free Speech" equals "Mean Speech" to most of the people using it.
That's a general problem with Internet.
Free flow of information and ideas is easily flooded by free flow of spam, hate and trolling.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 2:56 pm

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
No worries.  (Imho) Twitter should be a space for the free exchange of ideas; instead it has become a space wherein "Free Speech" equals "Mean Speech" to most of the people using it.
That's a general problem with Internet.  Free flow of information and ideas is easily flooded by free flow of spam, hate, and trolling.
Right now, this website seems to be relatively calm in that respect.  I wonder what happened?

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 9:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:
In practice this seems to mean freedom of speech provided your thoughts align with those of Elon Musk, particularly if you're a Tesla employee.

Speculation.
Time will tell if your *belief* is correct.

Even if it does eventuate, it can't be worse than it is/was, right? ;)

Plenty of examples out there, but here's a couple for starters...

Cristina Balan defamation case

Anti-union discimination

Tesla worker fired for reporting racism in the workplace

More Tesla anti-union stuff

Musk is all about freedom of speech when it's going his way. But his personal tweets and his company's managerial practices all point to an extreme dislike of anyone saying anything that veers from the corporate line. Even when it would be in the company's interests to pay attention, for example over safety concerns or toxic workplace culture.

That doesn't fill me with confidence over the future of Twitter. Musk is all about the image-boosting soundbites but doesn't deliver (or even seemingly believe in) half the great things he says.

If he's such a big believer in free speech, why does Tesla have such draconian non-disclosure clauses in all their contracts??

Musk says things to look good, but has no intention of actually doing what he says. He's a superficial attention whore who seems unaware of his own hypocrisy, and in that respect he's remarkably similar to Donald Trump. Except dangerously, he's much smarter. That's a problem because Musk is much better at disguising his sociopathic tendencies AND more likely to actually come up with plans that succeed.

There's a lot of people who never fell for Trump's nonsense but are still getting charmed by Musk.

MindEngine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2022, 11:17 pm

The basic of selling things is to sell dreams and not just stuff.
And every Musk's company is actually selling dreams to the public and he does it very scientifically.
He doesn't just come out to a clever idea for re-using rocket (the only actual thing he did at SpaceX), he strive to go to Mars. He doesn't simply build a classy electric car at Tesla (much like other luxury car builder such as Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini). He's building the future of automotive.
He doesn't develop a brain-computer interface for rehabilitation purposes (as many other companies are doing far more quietly). He's going to merge man and machine togheter. And so on.
It's a very effective strategy to keep people engaged and there's no better lier than one that believes (or make it other he believes) heartfully to his high-end/humanity saving goals.
If he was a politician that would be called dire propaganda, but he's a businessman so that's called a combo of vision and marketing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:35 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:
In practice this seems to mean freedom of speech provided your thoughts align with those of Elon Musk, particularly if you're a Tesla employee.

Speculation.
Time will tell if your *belief* is correct.

Even if it does eventuate, it can't be worse than it is/was, right? ;)

Plenty of examples out there, but here's a couple for starters...

Cristina Balan defamation case

Anti-union discimination

Tesla worker fired for reporting racism in the workplace

More Tesla anti-union stuff

Musk is all about freedom of speech when it's going his way. But his personal tweets and his company's managerial practices all point to an extreme dislike of anyone saying anything that veers from the corporate line. Even when it would be in the company's interests to pay attention, for example over safety concerns or toxic workplace culture.

That doesn't fill me with confidence over the future of Twitter. Musk is all about the image-boosting soundbites but doesn't deliver (or even seemingly believe in) half the great things he says.

If he's such a big believer in free speech, why does Tesla have such draconian non-disclosure clauses in all their contracts??

Musk says things to look good, but has no intention of actually doing what he says. He's a superficial attention whore who seems unaware of his own hypocrisy, and in that respect he's remarkably similar to Donald Trump. Except dangerously, he's much smarter. That's a problem because Musk is much better at disguising his sociopathic tendencies AND more likely to actually come up with plans that succeed.

There's a lot of people who never fell for Trump's nonsense but are still getting charmed by Musk.

The proof will be in the eating reading. 8)

Over here in Australia, Twitter is known for being a toxic left-wing echo chamber.
I don't even have an account.
I am considering making one now, to see the fracas as a result of the new ownership. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:38 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
No worries.  (Imho) Twitter should be a space for the free exchange of ideas; instead it has become a space wherein "Free Speech" equals "Mean Speech" to most of the people using it.[/color]
That's a general problem with Internet.  Free flow of information and ideas is easily flooded by free flow of spam, hate, and trolling.
Right now, this website seems to be relatively calm in that respect.  I wonder what happened?[/color]

Not enough conservative targets to attack, now that most have left, I guess. <shrug>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:41 am

Misslizard wrote:

:mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like it when one person has a monopoly over something like Tw!tter. There is potential for considerable abuse of free speech.

Agreed.
And biased censorship, as there is with Sucka*urd and Facebook. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
It's easy for Trump to say what he'd do after the fact. But going by what John Bolton claims - and while I don't like or agree with Bolton, I respect him for his honesty - Trump had been planning to pull out of NATO in his second term, leaving the alliance without American might or leadership. The fact that Trump had made a total reversal of the GOP's policies in regard to Russia, and that Trump had been in contact with the Putin during his campaign against Clinton and saw Putin as his benefactor, I don't buy that he would have taken a hard stance against Russia.

All unrealised speculation. 8)

Not at all. While many see Bolton as a bloodthirsty warmonger - and he probably is - he's still at least very honest, and so I believe him.
The GOP party platform had been Anti-Russian till Trump demanded it be changed when he ran against Clinton. That is verifiable. https://www.npr.org/2017/12/04/56831079 ... ne-support
Trump in fact had opened the White House up to Russian intelligence. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/us/p ... cfaul.html
Trump sees Putin as his benefactor, as proof from his actions. https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... -rcna17565

You respect Bolton when he says something you agree with. :wink:

As I said.
Unrealised speculation.
Let us agree to disagree. 8)

I don't like Bolton's ugly American foreign policy during the Bush years, but I've always respected him for his straight forward honesty. And honesty is a trait Trump's never had.

Erm.
So, no "agree to disagree" with you then... :mrgreen:

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:05 am

Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like it when one person has a monopoly over something like Tw!tter. There is potential for considerable abuse of free speech.

Agreed.

I'm not convinced FB censorship is biased, it seems to be equally fussy and illogical in every direction.

Most of the policing is done by automated systems that aren't very smart and don't understand context, irony etc. And I'm saying that as an Aspie, so it must be doubly annoying for NTs.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:24 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Agreed.

I'm not convinced FB censorship is biased, it seems to be equally fussy and illogical in every direction.

Most of the policing is done by automated systems that aren't very smart and don't understand context, irony etc. And I'm saying that as an Aspie, so it must be doubly annoying for NTs.

*cough* Covid *cough* 8)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 9:32 am

The Sun:

"FUELING FEARS Teen who tracks Elon Musk’s jet fears his Twitter account will be SHUT DOWN –
but doesn’t regret rejecting $5k offer"

However, there are now reports Jack Sweeney has contingency plans in case his Twitter account is shut down.