The Autism Show, the national event for autism in the UK

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2022, 8:10 am

I see that the above events will be coming to 3 big cities in the UK soon.

I'm kind of half thinking about going. It might be a good opportunity to meet people and to find things out. On the other hand, this kind of event freaks me out, with the whole 'social networking' thing and busy, crowded, hectic places really stress me out and make me anxious.

So the whole thing is kind of appealing and off-putting at the same time, and leaves me pretty conflicted just thinking about it!

Has anybody been and what did you think if so? Is anyone planning on going to any of the events this year?

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2022, 11:24 am

Shadweller wrote:

I'm kind of half thinking about going. It might be a good opportunity to meet people and to find things out. On the other hand, this kind of event freaks me out, with the whole 'social networking' thing and busy, crowded, hectic places really stress me out and make me anxious.

So the whole thing is kind of appealing and off-putting at the same time, and leaves me pretty conflicted just thinking about it!

Has anybody been and what did you think if so? Is anyone planning on going to any of the events this year?

I went to one in London about 5-6 years ago. It felt like it had been 'put on' for us autistic people by neurotypicals. Also, there was a lot of focus on autistic children. Why do people never realise that children grow up and become autistic adults? The mind boggles.

I'd like to think that things have improved over the last 5 years. I'd like to go again and find out, but don't have the funds at the moment.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2022, 12:50 pm

KaleidoscopicMagpie wrote:
I went to one in London about 5-6 years ago. It felt like it had been 'put on' for us autistic people by neurotypicals. Also, there was a lot of focus on autistic children. Why do people never realise that children grow up and become autistic adults? The mind boggles.

I'd like to think that things have improved over the last 5 years. I'd like to go again and find out, but don't have the funds at the moment.

I know what you mean. Hopefully there will now be more Autistic people more involved in putting things on and running the stands and doing the talks etc.

Was there a lot of Autistic people that visited when you went, or mostly professionals and carers etc?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 7:27 pm

How about the idea of an Autism Show with autistic people of all ages, all across the spectrum showcasing their talents and strengths. That's the type of show I would attend and showcase my arts & crafts at.

Imedatingayandere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2022, 7:54 pm

do I sound jaded for saying this , these "things" all just seem like talking points..

I feel like this is just bread and circuses I want real change

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 1:27 am

I live in the UK, I might be interested in going out of interest if it’s not too expensive.

It’s not like there’s one of these everyday.

Anyone got a link to the event?

- George Bernie Shaw

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2022, 11:06 am

carlos55 wrote:
I live in the UK, I might be interested in going out of interest if it’s not too expensive.

It’s not like there’s one of these everyday.

Anyone got a link to the event?

https://autismshow.co.uk/

KaleidoscopicMagpie

26 Apr 2022, 3:10 pm

Shadweller wrote:

I know what you mean. Hopefully there will now be more Autistic people more involved in putting things on and running the stands and doing the talks etc.

Was there a lot of Autistic people that visited when you went, or mostly professionals and carers etc?

I have had a look at the schedule and it looks like they've got a 'Hub' dedicated to autistic adult discussion, so that's definitely an improvement. There seemed to be many more parents and carers when I went, but I can't be sure obviously.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2022, 1:08 am

I have had a look at the schedule and it looks like they've got a 'Hub' dedicated to autistic adult discussion, so that's definitely an improvement. There seemed to be many more parents and carers when I went, but I can't be sure obviously.

Yeah some of the topics look quite good don't they.

Thanks for the answer. Yes it would be hard to tell without asking every one.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:44 am

Shadweller wrote:

I would think such an event will focus mainly on children even to this day. I would be interested in going to such an even once but I already have a good idea of level of toe curling, misrepresenting stereotyping that will happen.

A complete tone deafness towards autistic adults is one of them. A rainbow vomit of colour is the other one. Parents of autistics (who always seem patronising and stuck up) who I don't get along with in the slightest is the third.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2022, 12:54 pm

Nades wrote:
I would think such an event will focus mainly on children even to this day. I would be interested in going to such an even once but I already have a good idea of level of toe curling, misrepresenting stereotyping that will happen.

A complete tone deafness towards autistic adults is one of them. A rainbow vomit of colour is the other one. Parents of autistics (who always seem patronising and stuck up) who I don't get along with in the slightest is the third.

You may well be right. I may well dislike many things about the events. I believe there may be some positives though, especially from the Autistic speakers. Also maybe I could find out about some groups or support in the area, maybe even meet some people that I'd like to see again or keep in touch with.

My level of obsession is such at the moment that I am not going to leave any stone unturned. I'm going to keep on searching. I'm not quite sure exactly what I am even looking for. Just whatever might help me to make the best out of my situation. I think You Tube bite size chunks in the comfort and relaxation of my own home will be my preferred method of consuming content, but it's possible that what is on offer here might offer something new and different. That is the hope at least, otherwise there is not much point.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. If I really dislike it I can always leave, although there are at least a handful of talks and speakers I definitely want to see.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:52 pm

Thank you for sharing this, I hadn't heard of it until now. I may go to the London one, but like others I am daunted by the mass of people but also the risk of it being focused on children. I had a quick look through the details and I was pleasantly surprised at the focus of a number of hubs and topics that were geared towards adults. I could only go on the Friday though, so will need to do a careful check of speakers etc before making a decision. If anyone else here is thinking about the same date then please do feel free to get in touch. Could be nice to have a friendly face around on the day.

HiccupHaddock

27 Apr 2022, 2:50 pm

I'm wondering does anyone know do they allow the talks to be viewed online? Some conferences allow you to buy an online-only registration, where you don't have to turn up in person. I imagine that would be ideal for many people on the spectrum, who aren't that keen on crowded noisy places, it would also be great for people who just want to dip in and watch one or two talks. Is it worth emailing the organisers to ask?

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 7:04 am

HiccupHaddock wrote:
I'm wondering does anyone know do they allow the talks to be viewed online? Some conferences allow you to buy an online-only registration, where you don't have to turn up in person. I imagine that would be ideal for many people on the spectrum, who aren't that keen on crowded noisy places, it would also be great for people who just want to dip in and watch one or two talks. Is it worth emailing the organisers to ask?

Good idea. This is the email address I have found. Could you let us know what they say?

[email protected]

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 7:51 am

A bigger focus on adults is finally something welcomed. If that's the case it'll definitely be worth going to.

cat303

03 Jun 2022, 5:45 am

I've worked in autism research for a few years now and I don't recognise any of the names listed so I don't really agree that they are the leading autism professionals. Are any of them actually autistic? (I know a couple of them are but it looks like it's just the famous faces which ignores the numerous autistic autism professionals who exist). The NAS has links with Damian Milton and I appreciate he can't be everywhere but some recognition of his ground breaking work (and other studies based on his work) is needed.

As others have said, it looks too much like a bunch of NTs discussing what a problem us autistics are and how to cope with us from a medicalised point of view. And not a UK thing, purely an England thing, which is disappointing considering how much work is happening in Scotland at the moment.