Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

What do you think about remote working from home?
I work from home and I love it!! ! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I work from home and I hate/regret it!! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I work better in office with other people!! ! 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
I wish I could work from home!! !! 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Other, please explain!! ! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

TheaRose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2022, 6:09 pm

Hello,
Do any of you work from home/remote after working exclusively in person in the corporate world for ax long time?
What do you think? Do you think it helps to not directly human every day, except for on the phone?
Thank you so much!! !!

I know everyone is different. I guess I'm just really tired and direct humaning every day is exhausting to me and my current job now is extremely stressful. I have an opportunity to take a legit outbound call center type job that's remote from home and I'm trying to decide if I should take it.....

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 5:00 am

I used to do coding from home. It was great
I also had the option of going to work in coffee shops or pubs if I got isolated.
The boss was hands off, as long as I delivered he wasn't checking on my hours.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 8:45 am

My job doesn't telecommute. Pushing carts and loading merchandise.

However, all things equal, telecommuting would be much better than otherwise

Transportation costs time, cash and energy

The slave plantation is literally on the wrong side of the railroad tracks and I am afraid of getting raped or something

Socially awkward

Slave plantation too loud and dirty

Diseases, coronavirus, off leash dogs

Convicted felons, mentally ill, reckless drivers

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2022, 6:04 am

I've done both onsite and WFH at various places. Much, much prefer WFH. It's a massive savings in money, time, risk, and (assuming your home environment is reasonably good) cuts out nearly every source of annoyance and interruption.

In my own case, my home office is also generally better-equipped than pretty much any whitecollar workspace, at least from my own perspective, and I can add to it and remove unwanted elements at my leisure. How many office jobs are going to offer me a desk the size of a bed, five feet of monitors, a bar fridge, access to a kitchen full of my favorite foods and easy cooking for anything that needs prep work, the freedom to get bits of housework done when the inbox is empty and I'm just waiting for someone to get back to me, fluffy pets, zero commute or exposure to sick people or weather, zero wear and tear on a car (including the risk of accidents or damage), the ability to live in lower-expense areas which have a long travel time to the office, and having an excuse to avoid gossip, eating lunch with other people, or after-work social activities. Not to mention pretty much never being subjected to "Can do just do XYZ before you leave."

Add in the costs associated with workplace dress codes vs comfortable home clothing and shoes, the maintenance associated with said codes (drycleaning etc), any personal appearance costs (makeup etc), and the sheer cost savings associated with 100% WFH make it almost the biggest draw just in sheer dollar terms that an employer can offer over and above the salary. It's well worth it just on that front. And then you add in all the time savings, and the stress/annoyance savings, and its value just keeps on going up and up.