Greenpeace Activists Tried to Block Russian Oil Tanker

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 6:34 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/energy/greenpeace-russian-oil-tanker-exxonmobil/index.html

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 6:49 pm

Hopefully the oil makes it to its destination.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:22 am

Surely greenpeace are about trees and whales....why are they getting involved in wars?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 6:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Surely greenpeace are about trees and whales....why are they getting involved in wars?

Well i think that they playing both sides against each other.Oil would go up if greenpeace blocked supply because of the law of supply and demand.And then if thcoulat happened they would make the price of gas go up and some of that money could used on donations to Greenpeace.War is a business too and its big money.Also maybe 1 percent will go towards the actual animals and wildlife and the rest to fundraising salaries and executive play with golden parachuts.They could even have offshore accounts and shell companies.Since its a non proft they could get lots of volunteers working for free and they could only pay their workers one cent an hour if they wanted too.That may be part of it Cyberdad.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 7:04 am

Has anyone thought to go find out what Greenpeace themselves say?

Hmm, let's see ...

Fossil Fuels are fuelling war
Marie Bout
1 April 2022 • 6 min read
https://www.greenpeace.org/internationa ... lling-war/

"
“Human-induced climate change and the war on Ukraine have the same roots: fossil fuels and our dependence on them” said Ukrainian climate scientist Svitlana Krakovska as Russia, one of the world’s biggest oil and gas producers, was invading her country.
At the time, she was addressing The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change from her home in Kyiv, and had to withdraw from the approval session of the latest report as bombs hit her city.
"
"
Fossil fuel trade is propping up an unjust system

To help ensure peace and stop the climate crisis, governments need to cut their dependency on fossil fuels and phase them out immediately. Today, the world economy is still running largely on fossil fuels which continue to make up for over 80% of the global energy mix.
This addiction to fossil fuels places energy security and climate action at the mercy of geopolitics. Governments cannot claim to stand for peace if they continue to finance war. And shifting from Russian oil and gas to oil and gas from other countries with questionable human rights records, like Venezuela or Saudi Arabia, will only shift geopolitical power from one abuser to another.
"
"
Renewable energy is a pathway to peace

In order to get to a more just and peaceful world, we need countries to cut their fossil fuel dependency. To transition quickly, wealthy countries must first reduce their energy demand and maximise energy efficiency. Then move fast to fill their remaining energy needs with renewable energy.
Unlike fossil fuels, renewable energy is less likely to feed geopolitical power struggles or inequality, as its infrastructure has the potential to be largely localised. This could in turn help to reduce trade with countries with questionable human rights records. Localised renewable energy could also help to protect consumers from price shocks like the global energy crisis we are seeing today.
"

"
Safeguarding energy security and the climate

The combination of renewable energy and energy efficiency is a better choice for energy security. If the potential of these two are combined, total global energy demand could be reduced by up to a quarter by 2030. Energy efficiency measures would account for half to three-quarters of the total energy savings, with renewables delivering the rest. This could have huge implications for safeguarding the climate, with fossil fuels being the number one contributor to global heating.

A fast and just transition to renewable energy is possible.
"
"
This is a chance for governments to break the cycle of fossil fuel destruction and transition to a green peaceful future. Governments must act for peace and a safe climate with a transition to efficient and renewable energy as quickly as possible.
"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 7:08 am

See Also: https://www.greenpeace.org/internationa ... ssian-oil/
"
I’m with Greenpeace Denmark and we have been protesting fossil fuels for years. I always knew that oil fuels war as well as the climate crisis. However, with the Russian invasion of Ukraine it suddenly became very personal to me because I am Russian.
"
"
We all know how damaging and harmful oil is and we also know that the solution is right at our hands. All we need is for politicians to act. Stop the import of Russian fossil fuels and start a fast, just, green transition. For the benefit of the people in Russia, in Ukraine and all over the world.
"

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 7:59 am

Yet,Yall use petroleum and natural gas products every day.I would pay yall 100,000 dollars if you would go 10 days with no fossil fuels.Oil and Gas will never be replaced.But I think we should be open to other sources of energy too.I think geothermal has great potential.Nuclear would be great.I am for wind and solar and hydro and all other kinds of energy like ethanol.Like I would like oil to go 1000 bucks a barrel.It will happen someday.But Personally I think war is just part of human nature.