Adult ASD people and funny things we did as kids

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 5:08 pm

After I got into high school, my personality changed and I started following life to see where it would lead. When I was in my 20s, I finished school, obtained a job and decided it was time to get married. But all my dates were flops. So I decided this was not efficient way to get married. So I made a list of what I wanted in a wife. Then I began to approach this goal from a scientific approach. I landed up writing to a girl on the other side of the world. One who did not speak English and instead spoke a language I didn't know. I went and visited her for 6 weeks and then proposed to her using an English language dictionary. Then I battled country bureaucracy to bring her to my country and we were married. It is a great marriage and we produced two good daughters who are now married and I have 5 grandchildren.

One of the traits of some Aspies is that we do the impossible and live a life that can lead us on great adventures.

MarinaBee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2022, 2:25 pm

When I was around 6 or 7 years old, we had an Easter egg hunt at a relative's house. Instead of going off on my own to find eggs, I followed by best friend around. She eventually turned around and said something like: "you're not going to find any eggs if you keep following me." I might have been a bit older I don't remember. Different event but I was older this time: I also followed a friend of a friend (different friend but she wasn't there that night) around at a church youth group event and she turned around and asked why I was following her. I didn't know. I just felt more comfortable following than having to make small talk or walk around awkwardly.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 12:24 pm

I believed for a while that teachers lived at the school in a type of dormitory setting but went home on Weekends and holidays.

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2022, 4:28 pm

I was already grown up when I had a sink full of dirty dishes. I got the idea that every time I ate I'd wash my dishes plus one that was in the sink. The problem was I'd be in a hurry or lazy and leave dishes unwashed so by the end of the week the sink was still full. So I decided to wash all my dishes plus two out of the sink. Then the third week three, etc. My cat drank out of a cup I left sitting around waiting to wash. I'd get down to just 2 dishes left but decided to keep the system going and soon the sink would be full again. I don't remember how many weeks it took to finally empty the sink. I think 6.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 4:33 pm

Stayed hidden indoors to listen in on one of my parents' arguments.

Found out they had to get married because I was accidentally conceived.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 9:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Stayed hidden indoors to listen in on one of my parents' arguments.

Found out they had to get married because I was accidentally conceived.

Ouch

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 11:04 pm

I still do funny things. I dress in green from head to toe and identify as a pea, sometimes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:34 am

jimmy m wrote:
After I got into high school, my personality changed and I started following life to see where it would lead. When I was in my 20s, I finished school, obtained a job and decided it was time to get married. But all my dates were flops. So I decided this was not efficient way to get married. So I made a list of what I wanted in a wife. Then I began to approach this goal from a scientific approach. I landed up writing to a girl on the other side of the world. One who did not speak English and instead spoke a language I didn't know. I went and visited her for 6 weeks and then proposed to her using an English language dictionary. Then I battled country bureaucracy to bring her to my country and we were married. It is a great marriage and we produced two good daughters who are now married and I have 5 grandchildren. One of the traits of some Aspies is that we do the impossible and live a life that can lead us on great adventures.

did you end up learning each others' language?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:36 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I still do funny things. I dress in green from head to toe and identify as a pea, sometimes.

:heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:37 am

in my first few years at school, i had a fascination with HVAC ducting and whenever i'd see one, i'd enthusiastically point it out and yell "HEEDUR!!" [heater]. when about 4 or 5 i was listening to my parents' radio to a newscast about how students at the berkeley campus of USC were long-haired and smoked pot. so in my little mind i pictured a bunch of long-haired teenagers walking around with smoking pot handles sticking out of their mouths.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:40 am

I wrote a note to my friend's mother and put it in her mailbox.
My friend had started smoking pot at about age 12 and I thought she should know.
I have no idea what happened with that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:41 am

when i was about 5 me and my sister founds some worm medicine in the linen closet, and drank it.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2022, 1:05 am

I remember taking a spelling test in first grade where the teacher told us to put our heading in the upper left corner. I didn’t know what a heading was so I interpreted this literally and drew a self portrait. My teacher was very confused when I handed it in :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 1:06 am

i suppose this ultimately is an information theory topic. :razz: funny things happen when there is insufficient data and a deadline.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 2:06 am

Refusing to wear clothes. :oops:
My mom says I'm four and still go out without clothes on. Although I have no memory of it myself.
But in my own memory, I remember when I was about eight years old in only my underwear, while there were adult male guests in the home.

I kept caterpillars, slugs, mantis, grasshoppers and millipedes in my classroom in high school.
Although our school does not promote anything unrelated to learning. But part of me wanted to create a little confusion. :lol:

I allow non-toxic caterpillars to crawl on my face.
Some caterpillars with soft, dense hair actually have a very pleasant touch.
But I have not succeeded in getting any batch of caterpillars to eclosion. :? I can't provide a cocooning space that mimics the natural environment.
Different types of feed produce very different caterpillar droppings. Feeding caterpillars oranges produces feces that look like orange jelly. And the feces produced by feeding walnuts have oil in them.
Capturing fertilized female moths can efficiently acquire large numbers of eggs to hatch caterpillars. But collecting caterpillars in the wild can observe interesting intraspecific genetic diversity.

When I feed my mantis, it will attract other students to watch.
Make my own containers and tools for raising praying mantises.
I put the pet mantis on my head and we went out for a walk.

Keeping fodder leaves in an airtight environment and a little water will keep them fresh for longer.
Snails and slugs in moist, airtight containers can accumulate weird but not objectionable odors. And their need for fresh air is less urgent.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 2:53 am

my older brother, when he was a toddler, whenever his mom would change his diapers, he'd escape from the changing table by jumping off and running all around the room while he was spraying his #1 and going "WHEEEE!! !"