do you feel like a second class citizen (USA Thread)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

what is your opinion on the situation of our rights in the system
1. I agree 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
2. I have mixed feeling on this issue 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
3. no opinion 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4.Yes , I was abused by the system 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
5.I feel equality is talking point and nothing more 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7.I Feel we have rights as far as they are spoken of by those in higher places 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Imedatingayandere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2022, 7:43 pm

Where you abused by the system ?

Was someone you know abused by the system ?

I Believe collectively are rights are up for granted have been for a very longtime , please..

give me your thoughts on this (this thread will be up for re-edit later)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 2:33 am

Yes, we are second-class citizens in that autism disqualifies you from the military, my "personality" has disqualified me from most jobs. Not being recognized for who I am until was in my 50s because people just did not know, and since I now know continually reading about who I am is a "fake disease" or a fad to seem cool.

That all said I try and strike a balance between not being a naive optimist, and having a victim mentality. This is often hard.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Imedatingayandere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2022, 8:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Yes, we are second-class citizens in that autism disqualifies you from the military, my "personality" has disqualified me from most jobs. Not being recognized for who I am until was in my 50s because people just did not know, and since I now know continually reading about who I am is a "fake disease" or a fad to seem cool.

That all said I try and strike a balance between not being a naive optimist, and having a victim mentality. This is often hard.

is it truly a victim mentality though , that's like saying Blacks who live in the inner city ghetto have a "victim mentality"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 9:58 am

Imedatingayandere wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

is it truly a victim mentality though , that's like saying Blacks who live in the inner city ghetto have a "victim mentality"

Yes it is when you assume everything that went wrong in your life is the result of discrimination of some sort. A lot of it often is, all of it never is. Victim mentality leads to hopelessnesses. Being a minority means your odds of success are lower, and you have to work much harder to obtain it. Giving up means zero chance of success. I am not at all advocating “if you just try hard enough, you can do anything”, that is denial that will eventually sabotage you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 9:59 am

All of the poll options are slanted toward the negative.  I will not respond to the poll.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 10:42 am

I'm probably squarely in the camp of the "second-class" citizen. I am sometimes treated in a condescending way. Sometimes, it gets me upset; other times, I just slough it off.

I only have maybe 30 more years to live. I'd rather think of attaining pleasure for myself than to harp all the time about how people treat me.

CrazyEspy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2022, 1:04 pm

I have mixed feelings, as a noticeably ND person (I prefer that, I would get offended if someone called my autistic man or just man in general as I just don't identify with either as much as my body doesn't care to an extent). Yes I can in fact go anywhere in public, I have rights but discrimination effects every area of my life and it's not always to do with the law or rights though I have had a handful of law enforcement discrimination too for just not being how they expect me to be. But when you can't completely control your body or presentation and it's different than what people expect many people automatically dehumanize you in their eyes. Many people talk about me behind my back, call me weird, but no one ever actually asks me anything about myself. Everything is just assume, exclude, and deny. It's bad enough I'm limited by the way the world around me is arranged but I also have less chances due to peoples split second judgements. It's like a hidden system of unspoken rights being taken away. The world is very cold to me.