Finally, an answer... But one that brings more questions...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Anomaly_76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2022, 7:57 am

Wrong planet. Yup, that's me, all right.

I sometimes think the Nightwish song "Nemo" was written for those of us with ASD.

I've suspected Asperger's since it was mentioned on a YouTube video I saw around 2020.

Was tested last month, and, well... I'll just quote the report.

"This experience is best labeled as F34.1 Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia), and
should be treated concurrently with the neurodevelopmental issues described above. F84.0
Autism Spectrum Disorder, without accompanying language impairment, without
accompanying intellectual impairment; Social communication Level 1; Restricted, repetitive
behaviors Level 1 (provisional) is being diagnosed with reservation due to little collateral feedback regarding functioning during childhood."

So, I don't know whether this specifically means Asperger's or not... Anyone have any insight into this?

Just how the hell am I supposed to know WHICH age to act, anyway? :lol:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 8:03 am

Anomaly_76 wrote:
... F84.0 Autism Spectrum Disorder, ...So, I don't know whether this specifically means Asperger's or not... Anyone have any insight into this?

Asperger's is autism.

"
Asperger’s syndrome (AS) and autism are developmental conditions. Historically seen as different conditions, the two merged to become autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in 2013.
"
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... -vs-autism

"
AS and autism are no longer considered different conditions. ASD is the name for a group of conditions, and AS is one of these. A person who might have received an AS diagnosis in the past may now receive a broader diagnosis of ASD.
"

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 9:43 am

You probably qualify for the diagnosis I was given: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) with an additional observation that I also satisfied the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

However, I think the Psychologist was only able to add that extra observation because I provided her records indicating my early language development was not delayed.

Anomaly_76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2022, 12:59 pm

I'm aware that AS is no longer considered a separate condition. I'm just wondering if there is a particular terminology tied to what would have been once considered AS.

Also, I feel like I've fought it long enough, I think I need to start pursuing disability. I'm not happy about it, but I can't do much without getting winded, and whether it's severe asthma / allergies, sensory processing disorder, or both, the world beyond my front door and outside of my car is a gas chamber. Other aspects of autism (focus, retention, executive function and motor skills) pose problems for various modes of employment. I also show signs of regression.

As an aside, has anyone successfully filed for and gotten disability for ASD?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 1:05 pm

Most of my clients get Supplemental Social Security, otherwise known as SSI. If you have worked at a job and been paid, you want to file for SSDI, which is what most people call “disability.”

You can be successful, but…it usually takes at least three applications before they approve.

Anomaly_76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm

I only ask because I believe I am experiencing regression, as allergies and sensitivities to smoke and chemical smells have gotten sharper every year since around 1995, and have been a runaway train since 2003. In addition, I'm having more issues with motor function, more consistently fumbling and dropping objects. I now even have trouble typing on the computer, frequently repeating the same mistake, even repeating or skipping words. I'm told by others that conversation is irritating because I often reiterate things, not realizing I've said them before.

I frequently forget what I was going to do next before I can do it, to the point somehow still manage to either forget to take asthma medications before I can take them. Sometimes I think I've already taken them when I have not, even though I set cell phone alarms to remind me. I can no longer even maintain my vehicle beyond airing up tires. Even that is increasingly difficult for me, and I have to make late-night fueling runs to stations with 24 hr pay at the pump to avoid the carelessness of smokers lighting up wherever they please. I've also had to resort to having my groceries delivered due to the high potential for exposure to things that can trigger my asthma if I shop or even pick it up for myself.

I have had a serious deficiency in strength compared to most guys my age throughout life, and serious allergies and asthma (likely SPD-related -- even air fresheners are a problem for me). Most of this dates back to early childhood and has gotten worse throughout adulthood. I even had to give up driving 18-wheelers under doctor's orders in 2017, because I was having severe reactions to the high concentrations of diesel exhaust and cigarette smoke around truck stops and shipping / receiving yards.

I never reported it, but sometime in 2017, I also actually fell exiting a rig one night, and I strongly suspect this was due to motor skill issues, as I was very careful doing this and religiously followed the three-point-of-contact procedure as I was trained. My foot simply wasn't where I thought it was when I went to take my next step down. I have also had consistent balance and coordination issues since a not-at-fault car accident in 1998, and they have worsened since a couple others from 2001-2018. If I don't wait for my senses to "calibrate" when I awaken, you would swear I was drunk to watch me try to walk,and I still have these kinds of difficulties throughout the day at times.

I did food delivery for years but cannot even do that anymore because walking over 100 feet gets me winded and open air is a gas chamber to me. If certain irritants, especially cigarette smoke or vape pen blow to me on the breeze, I get a bronchial infection, and could well be going to the hospital. It's sharpened with each year, and last I checked, it made me sick from 100 feet away.

About the only thing I can do for work is drive (Uber and such), but not only am I getting very sensitive to certain lights and can no longer handle luggage, my sensory issues when it comes to the smell of smoke, perfumes, colognes, etc., have already been a problem before. I have to ask riders about smoke / vapes / colognes / perfumes before rolling to pickup, and on average have to cancel about 8% or more of the requests I'm given.

As an aside, I have also had a ton of ableistic responses when I message riders about this, when I am only trying to protect myself without inconveniencing the rider. Uber is a rip-off anyway because they take 25% of each time charge and 25% of each distance charge. Most city traffic flow takes around 4 minutes or more to travel one mile, which means Uber gets roughly 50% on short trips, and the longer trips don't pay nearly enough, especially with fuel at $4.00 a gallon, but it's better than nothing if I need something to supplement disability.

I have tried hard not to have to do this, but at this stage I feel confident I have done what I could do as long as I could, but I really don't feel like I have a choice anymore. I really hate this because I've been told all my life "you could do whatever you want to do because you're so smart" by those who could not see below the surface, and now I really feel like Charlie Gordon in the short story "Flowers For Algernon", as it seems like basic everyday things I've taken for granted are starting to slip away. What sort of future is that?

Last edited by Anomaly_76 on 27 Apr 2022, 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:21 pm

I went on disability for other things before autism was diagnosed.

The key when applying for Social Security Disability is documentation.
The other key is employment, it is necessary to have been documentably employed for a certain time & it looks like you easily have that.

SSD will want documented specifics on what the health issues are and exactly how they interfere with employment, and with self care.

Yeah that colognes/perfumes/air fresheners/other fragrant chemicals thing is a bite, nothing like ending up in the ER being treated with asthma drugs when I do not have asthma.

Back to SSD, expect to be rejected the first time and to have to appeal.

Anomaly_76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2022, 1:30 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Yeah that colognes/perfumes/air fresheners/other fragrant chemicals thing is a bite, nothing like ending up in the ER being treated with asthma drugs when I do not have asthma.

Back to SSD, expect to be rejected the first time and to have to appeal.

So it IS possible this is SPD and I don't really have asthma?

I expect to be rejected, which is why I am getting representation from the word go now that I have an autism diagnosis.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:45 pm

Anomaly_76 wrote:

Anything is possible, the question is how much of the possible is actually probable.

That reaction in me is said to be a body intolerance to the chemical compounds and neither an allergy nor a sensory processing thing.

That I do have diagnosed allergies and sensory processing things can make for a bit of a challenge in sorting out what exactly a problem is and what to do about it.

Anomaly_76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2022, 2:21 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Anomaly_76 wrote:

Anything is possible, the question is how much of the possible is actually probable.

That reaction in me is said to be a body intolerance to the chemical compounds and neither an allergy nor a sensory processing thing.

That I do have diagnosed allergies and sensory processing things can make for a bit of a challenge in sorting out what exactly a problem is and what to do about it.

So it could be either / or, or both... GREAT.