AITA Backs Woman Refusing to Invite Autistic Sister to show

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 11:51 am

Too busy to do more than just post the link.

Internet Backs Woman Refusing to Invite Autistic Sister to Her Art Show

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 11:55 am

I do not blame the woman for not wanting her sister to bully and belittle her during her proudest moment.

D0rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2022, 3:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
I do not blame the woman for not wanting her sister to bully and belittle her during her proudest moment.

This, seems pretty cut and dry to me.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:18 pm

Some good points made in the Reddit comments.

For instance,
"
Here_for_tea_

They aren’t doing your sister any favours by crowbarring her into social settings that are significant for other people. The rest of the world won’t react the same way your parents do, and it’s a shame they aren’t preparing her better re the natural consequences of demeaning people.
"

"
tink630
... your parents are ablest, they see your sister as nothing but her autism, rather than a human being that is capable of growth.
"

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2022, 10:40 pm

I don't think the OP is TA here. I read the original post which said "I worked so, so hard for this and since she thinks that my paintings are silly in the first place, I know she's going to try bringing me down in front of my friends and teachers." Autistic people can be @-holes too. Autism is not an excuse for this behavior.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 11:50 am

I have some doubts. The whole deal about the sister having attended "Ivy League Schools" comes across as a bit suspicious to an American, also I can't help wondering if the OP is exaggerating their own brilliance. It's possible the OP is a brick or two short of a full load.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:54 pm

MaxE wrote:
having attended "Ivy League Schools"

Remember, 'attended' is merely attended.
Were they attended for 6 weeks? 6 semesters?
Schools in the plural ...
Was it one semester here, 2 semesters there, because of sister's problems? A speculation with little foundation in hard data, merely potential implications derived from the grammar employed.

I don't have enough data to support not taking what was said at face value, so on account of the lack of such material I'm taking what was said at face value.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 1:56 pm

MaxE wrote:
It's possible the OP is a brick or two short of a full load.

Well, the OP is an artist ... :wink: :lol:

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2022, 1:42 pm

This article seems like it is just trying to stir up controversy by presenting it in the headline as though the woman didn't want her sister there due to her autism, when it sounds like she doesn't want her sister there because the sister doesn't like her art. My daughter loves to make art; my son doesn't like her style; this is ordinary sibling crud.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:48 pm

Pteranomom wrote:
This article seems like it is just trying to stir up controversy by presenting it in the headline as though the woman didn't want her sister there due to her autism, when it sounds like she doesn't want her sister there because the sister doesn't like her art. My daughter loves to make art; my son doesn't like her style; this is ordinary sibling crud.
It is neither the autism nor the lack of appreciation.  It is the slander and abuse one sister heaps upon the other.
Newsweek wrote:
She then goes on to explain how her sister is . . . always belittling her and being mean, and for this reason, she wants to avoid being ridiculed at her own show.
Does your son simply express dislike for your daughter's art, or does he call her 'stupid' and treat her like crap for it, especially in front of other people?  Do you allow him to belittle your daughter and be mean to her?

I sure hope not.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2022, 12:32 am

I'd even ask whether people should be forced to invite other people to things. If these two people weren't related, would there be such a fuss over one person not inviting another person? It's social pressuring BS.