Homophobic conservative attended gay Mardi Gras

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 9:46 pm

A photo has surfaced of current conservative star and LNP candidate Catherine Deves who has famously attacked transgender children attending a gay and lesbian Mardi Gras.
https://www.news.com.au/national/federa ... 85a54fb347

The hypocrisy is strong in this one :roll:

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2022, 10:08 pm

She is actually transphobic, not homophobic but it is still wrong.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:21 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
She is actually transphobic, not homophobic but it is still wrong.

Granted, but the line is blurry, people who are transphobic are highly likely to be homophobic (she is a religious conservative)

I am also not not sure if you ever attended the Sydney gay and lesbian mardi gras (I have) and the stars of the show are the trans ladies. That's whom everyone comes to see.

Catherine Deves is a hypocrite.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 3:39 am

If you're looking at the LBGT community from the outside in then yes...folks who hate some parts of the community are also gonna tend to hate other parts of it.

But if you're looking at the LBGT community from the inside out it isnt as simple as I (for one)thought.

The LBGT etc community tries to keep a united front to outsiders. But one former LBGT WP member explained to me that members of the groups (represented by the individual letters) are often at odds with each other. Folks who get sex change operations dont get along with folks who deny gender is real because -if you're gonna invest time, money, and go under the knife for rad surgery to change your biological sex then you're invested in thinking that gender is real. Just as an example.

So... this GOP lady is herself a lesbian (or is not, but is sympathetic to gays) and parties in public with gays. But she might still be opposed to transgender folks for some reason. These groups are not the "automatic allies of each other" that an outsider might assume that they are.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 6:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So... this GOP lady is herself a lesbian (or is not, but is sympathetic to gays) and parties in public with gays. But she might still be opposed to transgender folks for some reason. These groups are not the "automatic allies of each other" that an outsider might assume that they are.

She's an Australian conservative political candidate and she has attacked gay people in the past
https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/li ... ion/212197