Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 6:27 pm

let me give you my interpretation of a free thinker
1. Does not follow organized religion
2. Does not blindly agree with the party line (liberal or conservative), but actually questions everything logically from both sides. In other words, no liberals or conservatives, or any political orientation. You don't follow PEOPLE, you follow LOGIC.
3. Does not blindly follow social norms, and questions even the most unanimously held beliefs among our society according to decency and morality.
4. Does not let blind emotions get in the way of making rational, unbiased decisions. Logic is your referee between emotions and calling things straight down the middle (including straight down the middle for heterosexual white males, which isn't "politically correct", but also for all others of any race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, nationality, political orientation, etc).

I'm looking for REAL free thinkers, people who don't label themselves ideologically as anything. People with the ability to question and analyze anything and everything to the bare essentials (common since). I am curious how many on here fall into this category right now.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 6:36 pm

my guess is most people will think they think for themselves, but not many of them really do.

In general if somebody can piss off most people at any forum they go to without trying to, they probably think for themselves :P

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 6:40 pm

Johnnie wrote:
my guess is most people will think they think for themselves, but not many of them really do.

In general if somebody can piss off most people at any forum they go to without trying to, they probably think for themselves :P

Or they are just an ass. Offensive ability is no sign of being a "free thinker" as Snake defines them - Ann Couliter pisses off most people here and she doesn't strike me as a "Free Thinker"

Instead the signs would be a wide combination that would probably be a bit too subtle to read for the average person.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:02 pm

coulter makes her living pissing people off, she goes out of her way to do it.

Quote:
without trying

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:07 pm

snake321 wrote:
let me give you my interpretation of a free thinker
2. Does not blindly agree with the party line (liberal or conservative), but actually questions everything logically from both sides. In other words, no liberals or conservatives, or any political orientation. You don't follow PEOPLE, you follow LOGIC.
3. Does not blindly follow social norms, and questions even the most unanimously held beliefs among our society according to decency and morality.
4. Does not let blind emotions get in the way of making rational, unbiased decisions. Logic is your referee between emotions and calling things straight down the middle (including straight down the middle for heterosexual white males, which isn't "politically correct", but also for all others of any race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, nationality, political orientation, etc).

I'm looking for REAL free thinkers, people who don't label themselves ideologically as anything. People with the ability to question and analyze anything and everything to the bare essentials (common since). I am curious how many on here fall into this category right now.

Wow, no sooner did you ask about free thinking than you imposed your own parameters upon it! :roll: I'm free of those limitations; the truth has set me free!

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:15 pm

snake321 wrote:

I lead a disorganized one. :P

Quote:

Why would you consider free thinking to be that
bound by ONE particular form of logic? Seems a
bit constrained for my tastes.
Quote:

Shouldn't blindly oppose them either, as many rebels do.
Quote:

So, now why is logic, which is binding and constraining,
a sign of 'free thinking'? I'd suspect that ever changing
emotions are far more free, than the unbending mathematics
of logic.

Quote:

Given your conformance to only one type of
thought (that dictated by what one would presume
is classical logic), I wouldn't include you.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:17 pm

Ragtime wrote:

Wow, no sooner did you ask about free thinking than you imposed your own parameters upon it! :roll: I'm free of those limitations; the truth has set me free!

Nicely put. I don't agree with what YOU probably
see as freedom, oh one enslaved by coercion, but
all the same....

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:25 pm

I believe what snake said, is probably the best way to describe a 'Good thinker'. But I don't see that as a real definition of 'Free thinker'.

As calandale puts it, free thinking is actually about having the freedom of following your own beliefs and choices on your own without any coercion from anyone.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

03 Aug 2007, 7:33 pm

There is no free will. Free thinking is an illusion your DNA has given you. In the end you will reproduce as DNA tells you to or you will be weeded out. Everything that happens in between is as close to pointless as you can get.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:50 pm

Quote:
the truth has set me free!

how do you know it's the truth, because somebody told you so :?:

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:05 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
There is no free will. Free thinking is an illusion your DNA has given you. In the end you will reproduce as DNA tells you to or you will be weeded out. Everything that happens in between is as close to pointless as you can get.

So you're saying your post is pointless?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:06 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Quote:

Because it's in the Bible.

Last edited by greenblue on 03 Aug 2007, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:06 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Quote:

Yep.

God.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:08 pm

You don't mean that literally, right?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

03 Aug 2007, 8:16 pm

Ragtime wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

So you're saying your post is pointless?

(my posts) / infinty = point value

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:30 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:

I guess I kinda see your point, but not everything happens because is SUPPOSE to happen, a lot of things happen randomly and a lot of things don't, we have free will at some point, we make decisions, the problem is that we don't have a return point, we cannot turn back with things that are already done, or things that already happened. So free will might be limited in that sense.

Things are not written in stones, but we can assume the possiblity of what is going to happen, but it can change.