Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 May 2022, 3:14 am

Everyone is in more or less serious slowdown/recession right now.
The worst hit is to those dependent on food imports.
The form of capitalism that makes the economy dependent on growth will also be hit by crises.
AFAIK, China is neither. You'll manage - unless your leaders take North-Korea-like totalitarian course but that's independent from current economy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 3:16 am

Double Retired wrote:
to watch it on YouTube but the post is actually linking into "youtu.be". Is that some reputable clone of YouTube?

Part 2:

That ".be" is for Belgium.
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:BE

Now, cross-reference that with the following, https://copenhageneconomics.com/publica ... n-belgium/
"
The economic impact of Google’s data centre in Belgium

Google operates one of its three European data centres in St. Ghislain–Mons, in the southern part of the Walloon Region in Belgium. The servers in the data centre run Google products such as Search, Gmail or YouTube and support Google users across Europe and around the world.

Google has asked Copenhagen Economics to assess the economic impact of the construction and operations to date and to assess the potential impact of the expansion under consideration.

We find that the data centre has supported to date economic activity in Belgium corresponding to EUR 110 million in gross domestic product (GDP) and 1,500 full-time equivalent jobs per year on average. This equates to EUR 900 million in total over the period so far. This takes into account both the construction and operations – including direct, indirect and induced effects throughout the economy. Furthermore, we have identified that Google’s data centre generates significant broader economic effects, which provide a long-lasting benefit to the Belgian economy.

Finally, Google has submitted plans to expand its Belgian data centre (subject to planning permission and business approval).
"

:arrow: which makes that youtu dot be URL quite witty, actually.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 4:11 am

magz wrote:
The worst hit is to those dependent on food imports.
The form of capitalism that makes the economy dependent on growth will also be hit by crises.
AFAIK, China is neither.

I think China may actually fall into the second category.
The good expectations/improving living standards brought about by high growth is the legitimacy of the CCP's autocratic rule.

Twelve years ago only "hate the motherland" could make a profit as a personal brand. Who would have thought that "loving the motherland" could also make a profit later on? Some of them are even the same people. :lol: The magic of the economy.
But given the current direction of the economy, the days when you can make money by "loving the motherland" will not be long.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 May 2022, 4:30 am

"Hate the motherland"/"love the motherland"? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the concepts.
Is it about getting profits at the expense of the society vs getting profits from working for common good?

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 4:43 am

magz wrote:
"Hate the motherland"/"love the motherland"? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the concepts.
Is it about getting profits at the expense of the society vs getting profits from working for common good?

Basically nothing to do with specific claims. Or, the specific propositions change following government policy and advocacy.

In the usual Chinese context:
"Love the motherland" means "love the government" and "hate the West". This translation can also be "Patriot". But I'm not sure if the concepts correspond exactly.
"Hate the motherland" means "hate the government (sometimes including the Chinese people/culture)" and "love the west".

Trust me, both have very crazy times.

More modern political debaters would try to separate the concepts of "motherland" and "government."
But the above is a customary expression.
I would usually be classified as the latter, in political debates in China. But far from the most radical of the bunch.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 May 2022, 5:41 am

Oh, this "motherland=government" narrative... one of the reasons why some say Russian culture is not European but Asian.
The standard here is "motherland=society" and it's good when the government represents it but it's not always true.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 5:56 am

magz wrote:
Oh, this "motherland=government" narrative... one of the reasons why some say Russian culture is not European but Asian.
The standard here is "motherland=society" and it's good when the government represents it but it's not always true.

Many Chinese, who lack political participation, have an inexplicable fondness for Russia. A popular meme is praising the Russians as a "fighting nation" and they use bears as pets.
Tsarist Russia stole the most territory from China in modern times, which is briefly mentioned in history textbooks.
And the losses caused by the confrontation between the Soviet Union and communism-era China are simply not mentioned in mainstream historical sources. At least that's what I learned as a science student.

By the way, those fanatical communists are now basically in the "hate the motherland" camp.
They think the CCP is too degenerate/revisionist now and therefore do not join the party. What the hell. :lol: