Why is Prohibition still kind of a thing in Texas and the US

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 12:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
They're stuck in the 1920s.

Prohibition started because a bunch of southern preachers starting telling their congregations that if alcohol wasn't banned, their wives and daughters would be raped by a bunch of drunken black men.

Ya I feel like I am the only church of Christ minister in Texas and the South to campaign against prohibition and to be a out and open drinker that will drink at restaurants.I have made it my mission to change the perception of alcohol in my "denomination."I also feel that prohibition is racist against my fellow Germans who love to drink the occasional beer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:20 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Prohibition started because a bunch of southern preachers starting telling their congregations that if alcohol wasn't banned, their wives and daughters would be raped by a bunch of drunken black men.

Ya I feel like I am the only church of Christ minister in Texas and the South to campaign against prohibition and to be a out and open drinker that will drink at restaurants.I have made it my mission to change the perception of alcohol in my "denomination."I also feel that prohibition is racist against my fellow Germans who love to drink the occasional beer.

My people are beer swilling Germans on both sides, too!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

wow thats awesome bro.Kudos.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:57 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

wow thats awesome bro.Kudos.

8)

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2022, 3:51 am

Drinking alcoholic drink is for fools and idiots. Try coming from a dysfunctional home, where both parents came from broken, abusive families. Mom’s family was the worst: her father and grandfather were the town drunks. She was abused physically, mentally, and emotionally. She was, for all intents and purposes, an unwanted child. Her father’s view on women was they were to be kept fat, barefoot, pregnant, uneducated, and in the kitchen. Worse, he and her grandfather ran a speakeasy.

Growing up, when we visited him, he was always drunk. Granted, he saw action in WW II. However, he refused to seek any kind of help, as he thought seeking help was a weakness. His view of psychological help was the same as Louis B. Mayer: “Those who see a psychiatrist outfit to have their head examined!”

Dad’s side of the family wasn’t much better: at least they weren’t drunks and didn’t drink alcohol. However, as far as I can tell, his father was a narcisscist, and Dad was the whipping boy, just like I was dad’s whipping boy.

I have enough issues. I don’t need alcohol.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 5:27 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Ya I feel like I am the only church of Christ minister in Texas and the South to campaign against prohibition and to be a out and open drinker that will drink at restaurants. I have made it my mission to change the perception of alcohol in my "denomination." I also feel that prohibition is racist against my fellow Germans who love to drink the occasional beer.
Utah is the worst when it comes to alcohol. Grocery stores can't sell beer higher than 4%; higher-strength beer, wine, and liquor can only be sold at state-owned stores. Restaurants must have a partitioned, separated area for alcohol sales; you must order food with all alcohol, and no alcohol can be sold on Sundays. This is due to the large number of Mormon Church members working in the Utah government; the Mormon Church is VERY much against alcohol, much more than the Southern Baptist.

MuddRM wrote:
Drinking alcoholic drink is for fools and idiots. Try coming from a dysfunctional home, where both parents came from broken, abusive families. Mom’s family was the worst: her father and grandfather were the town drunks. She was abused physically, mentally, and emotionally. She was, for all intents and purposes, an unwanted child. Her father’s view on women was they were to be kept fat, barefoot, pregnant, uneducated, and in the kitchen. Worse, he and her grandfather ran a speakeasy.
I have the opposite situation: alcohol saved my life. The whole time I was growing up, I was emotionally abused and treated as subhuman by my entire family, both immediate and extended. They all banded together against me, even my older sister (by 10 years). As a result, I was suicidal since I was 8.

When I was 12, I told my therapist about the abuse, minus the "suicide" part (so she doesn't narc to the cops). She laughed in my face and mocked me; that was her way of telling me to stop "whining", because she found the abuse "cute" and wasn't going to help me stop it. So that's where I turned to alcohol, by sneaking swigs of whiskey from my parents' bottles and replacing it with water. Well, one swig of whiskey improved my mood better than weeks of therapy. I drink heavily to this day, and have no regrets.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 5:50 am

One domestic violence conviction: ban that person from buying and drinking alcohol.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 6:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
One domestic violence conviction: ban that person from buying and drinking alcohol.

Would yall ban that person from buying wine for communion.I think more people need to be allowed to drink legally not less.I think the government needs to respect that everyone should have a right to drink alcohol if they are of age.Even criminals.Ideally I would not have a drinking age.I would have it like how it was before prohibition.i would allow anyone and everyone to buy it everywhere in this country at any business that chooses to sell it.Shoot I would even let 16 year olds buy whiskey.I dont think alcohol should be government business.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:22 am

How about what alcohol does to some people?

It makes them violent idiots; many times, these people sober are nice people.

As long as people can "hold in their liquor," then it's okay-----but when it makes people into violent, paranoid idiots, then it should be banned from those folks.

Alcohol has different effects on different people.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:47 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Shoot I would even let 16 year olds buy whiskey.I dont think alcohol should be government business.

I think alcohol should be available by prescription to kids 10 and older. And the doctor has to be mandated to prescribe it, if the criteria are met. Sometimes one shot of liquor is all a preteen needs to break the vicious cycle of depression.

During my preteen and teen years, it did wonders for me: as an antidepressant, as an anti-anxiety drug, and as a sleep aid. All of which my family and my therapist withheld from me. When I asked for those pills, my therapist mocked me and dodged the questions, and my family told be to "stop talking nonsense". So I made do with alcohol.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How about what alcohol does to some people?

It makes them violent idiots; many times, these people sober are nice people.

As long as people can "hold in their liquor," then it's okay-----but when it makes people into violent, paranoid idiots, then it should be banned from those folks.

Alcohol has different effects on different people.

Well personally my solution to that is maybe make alcohol-related penalties more severe.Maybe make domestic violence with alcohol a automatic felony or make drunk driving a felony.I dont know what the answer is but I think everyone should be legally allowed to drink.I think more harm would be done if we banned people from buying alcohol because then you would have bootleggers.I just wish that alcohol will be sold everywhere in Texas and America some day in the future.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:59 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Shoot I would even let 16 year olds buy whiskey.I dont think alcohol should be government business.

I think alcohol should be available by prescription to kids 10 and older. And the doctor has to be mandated to prescribe it, if the criteria are met. Sometimes one shot of liquor is all a preteen needs to break the vicious cycle of depression.

During my preteen and teen years, it did wonders for me: as an antidepressant, as an anti-anxiety drug, and as a sleep aid. All of which my family and my therapist withheld from me. When I asked for those pills, my therapist mocked me and dodged the questions, and my family told be to "stop talking nonsense". So I made do with alcohol.

Alcohol is actually a depressant that interferes with regular healthy sleep.I started drinking when I was around 3 or 5 or so but it was only a sip of beer that my dad would give me.I have my first full beer when I was under 21 which is legal in Texas in some situations.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 2:17 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I heard something that said Prohibition never really ended in Texas and America because of all the dry counties and dry towns and whatnot.I think its dumb.Like I just want to be able to drink and be left alone by the hyprocritical church-goers.

This is interesting. I've known other people with the opposite complaint about Texas. These people say that, in at least some places, everyone drinks alcoholic beverages, and there is a lot of social pressure to drink.

So apparently, in Texas, alcoholic beverages are either prohibited or socially mandatory, depending on exactly where you are?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 3:37 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Ya I feel like I am the only church of Christ minister in Texas and the South to campaign against prohibition and to be a out and open drinker that will drink at restaurants. I have made it my mission to change the perception of alcohol in my "denomination." I also feel that prohibition is racist against my fellow Germans who love to drink the occasional beer.
Utah is the worst when it comes to alcohol. Grocery stores can't sell beer higher than 4%; higher-strength beer, wine, and liquor can only be sold at state-owned stores. Restaurants must have a partitioned, separated area for alcohol sales; you must order food with all alcohol, and no alcohol can be sold on Sundays. This is due to the large number of Mormon Church members working in the Utah government; the Mormon Church is VERY much against alcohol, much more than the Southern Baptist.

MuddRM wrote:
I have the opposite situation: alcohol saved my life. The whole time I was growing up, I was emotionally abused and treated as subhuman by my entire family, both immediate and extended. They all banded together against me, even my older sister (by 10 years). As a result, I was suicidal since I was 8.

When I was 12, I told my therapist about the abuse, minus the "suicide" part (so she doesn't narc to the cops). She laughed in my face and mocked me; that was her way of telling me to stop "whining", because she found the abuse "cute" and wasn't going to help me stop it. So that's where I turned to alcohol, by sneaking swigs of whiskey from my parents' bottles and replacing it with water. Well, one swig of whiskey improved my mood better than weeks of therapy. I drink heavily to this day, and have no regrets.

Your story is very much like that of author and poet, Charles Bukowski. He had a father who physically, mentally, and verbally abused him, and a mother whose opinion was: "Your father is always right." She was terribly abused and cheated on, as well. Bukowski discovered alcohol while growing up, and became an unapologetic alcoholic for the rest of his life. Good or bad, right or wrong, he developed a persona and reputation as a hard drinking, womanizing man of letters that has survived him.
Incidentally, he didn't die from alcoholism, nor did he get shot by an angry husband who happened to catch him in bed with said angry husband's wife. No, he died of leukemia into his older years.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 3:38 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I heard something that said Prohibition never really ended in Texas and America because of all the dry counties and dry towns and whatnot.I think its dumb.Like I just want to be able to drink and be left alone by the hyprocritical church-goers.

This is interesting. I've known other people with the opposite complaint about Texas. These people say that, in at least some places, everyone drinks alcoholic beverages, and there is a lot of social pressure to drink.

So apparently, in Texas, alcoholic beverages are either prohibited or socially mandatory, depending on exactly where you are?

Well there's lots of dry jurisdictions in Texas.Like its more the Baptist and church of Christ areas where drinking is very taboo.Like You could not buy any 6 packs of a Bud Light in Lubbock until I was a senior in high school.The city of Impact was incorporated to give people from Abilene a place to buy beer.But in Texas if you have too much alcohol in your car you could arrested for bootlegging.My grandfather had to drive 50 to 100 miles one way to buy beer in Texas.But at the same time it is legal for 3 year olds to drink beer in Texas provided they are with their mom or dad in their own home so I have been drinking since I was about 3.You have to go to a special liquor store to buy hard liquor unlike New Mexico where you can buy whiskey at Allsups.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 6:12 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Well there's lots of dry jurisdictions in Texas.Like its more the Baptist and church of Christ areas where drinking is very taboo.Like You could not buy any 6 packs of a Bud Light in Lubbock until I was a senior in high school.The city of Impact was incorporated to give people from Abilene a place to buy beer.But in Texas if you have too much alcohol in your car you could arrested for bootlegging.My grandfather had to drive 50 to 100 miles one way to buy beer in Texas.But at the same time it is legal for 3 year olds to drink beer in Texas provided they are with their mom or dad in their own home so I have been drinking since I was about 3.You have to go to a special liquor store to buy hard liquor unlike New Mexico where you can buy whiskey at Allsups.

Growing up in a family of German extraction, my parents shared alcohol with me for as long as I could remember.
I only learned about the glory of alcohol abuse from my friends when we'd drink while underage and since.