Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2022, 10:56 pm

Hi! My daughter lives there and my husband, son and I are looking to move there. Just looking to see if anyone here lives there. Thanks!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 7:04 am

welcome from Michigan! Are you looking for information about that city in particular? Lots of cities have websites and things like chamber of commerce, youtube or facebook pages, and the like. If you are looking for autism specific information or to meet autistic others in that location you might find good input using a general internet search for something like "autism Garden City Kansas" even if it is not exactly what you are looking for, it can give you clues and you can make contacts in the area through them. Most people will help if requested to do so. Contacting an autism parents group might also put you in touch with autism friendly doctors, adult diagnosis, social contacts nearby. Also check out social websites like "meetup.org) and make your own posts to see if you can contact people closer to that area. Sending best wishes.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 10:08 am

Hi! Welcome to Wrong Planet.

There's a Kansas-based Autism Society chapter that holds some local social events for autistic adults.

You might also want to check Meetup.com to see if you can find any local support groups, if you have not already done so.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 2:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2022, 9:51 pm

Thank you everyone! I will look into those suggestions. Moving isn't eminent, but I'm being well-prepared and having a positive attitude about it hoping that it really IS as much better as far as people being friendly than here. I've gotten so many "You can't have autism because..." here that I'm extremely reluctant to get an evaluation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 2:19 pm

It doesn't seem to be a bad place. A regional center (western Kansas) for shopping and other services. Rather conservative place which is near a town called Liberal. It is alleged that it has a problem with "illegal immigrants," though.

You should inquire further in the website known as "CityData."

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2022, 9:27 am

Wow! There's a lot of information on that site! Thank you!